Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
The pace and acrobatics ability you get as a vampire is just right. Why walk when you can just hop around from hill to hill like the supernatural abomination that you are?

Delterius

Arcane
Well, when I think "pure mage" I don't think of someone that uses magic to make their huge mace hit even harder.

> Drain someone's constitution until they can't move.

> Make them go blind, drain their stamina or otherwise disable their ability to attack.

> Cast a brief but absurd boost to your melee stats.

> Beat the son of a bitch to death with an old woman's cane for the lulz. Also because a mage in Morrowind can do whatever he wants and you're just feeling like doing this. And, let's face it, the novelty of exploiting alchemy for money wears fast and you've become too lazy to quintuple your mana potion hoard again.

:D
  • It will make you feel like a fucking wizard.

It sure does. :love:

wW5xF65.jpg

get a load of this foreigner

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
First, most people aren't interested in Lore, so you don't want to pay good writers to contribute to something virtually no-one cares about. Second, you don't want to have lore involved in the quests if most people aren't interested in it. Todd did the right thing there sales wise.

Obviously they are doing the right things sales wise. We're talking about quality wise.

get a load of this foreigner
n'wah*

2whp4xg.jpg

Wait a second, are you trying to act dunmeri here, huh?

By the way, how old is he officially? Does "4000 years" include his time spent in Daedra planes (one can easily imagine him in Apocrypha) or he predates 1E700 and remembers times of Veloth?
(...) mages guild...
Teleportation no longer requires final rank = :decline:
I still abuse it as fuck, though

DraQ

Arcane
Morrowind's excellent world and lore are what makes its abundance of simple quests and factions work. Somewhere Todd Howard is pointing out that while there are less quests and factions in Oblivion and Skyrim each one has more to it. However what he doesn't understand is that Morrowind made walking to a town to talk to someone and walking back fun via a great world and great lore that you want to immerse yourself in.

First, most people aren't interested in Lore, so you don't want to pay good writers to contribute to something virtually no-one cares about. Second, you don't want to have lore involved in the quests if most people aren't interested in it. Todd did the right thing there sales wise.
Actually, most people aren't capable of enough introspection to understand, let alone articulate what they find fun and why.

Sure, most people may not care about lore, but they do care about not getting bored out of their skulls and lore, as part of broader world design helps here a lot.
It also helps define stuff like world's structure and whatnot, so it's a boon from design PoV as well.

And yeah, Todd did do the right thing by trying to go back to Morrowind style of world design and PGE1 lore, albeit without publicly acknowledging how much of a fuck-up Oblvion was.
If even the company famous for their relentless dumbing-down tries to back out of their dumbing-down of their own lore, then there is probably some reason for that and that reason isn't that they suddenly decided to make low budget games for hardcore cRPG-fans, no matter how nice that would be.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Outside of a few irrelevant hate sites like this, no-one criticises Oblivion.

If anything, Bethesda saw what angry fans can do to the success of a game through review sites (millions apparently base their decision to purchase with it), and tried cover their asses by adding things the angriest of fans were raging about in Oblivion.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Nah, I know plenty of people who play mostly console games, that would be considered popamolers by Codex standards, that didn't even like Oblivion. The terribru level-scaling at least was a pretty ubiquitous complaint.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A lot of people love Oblivion still today and even claim it's better than Skyrim. My theory on these people is that 90% of them are console only gamers who got their first taste of a real open world Western RPG when Oblivion pretty much launched with the Xbox 360. That kind of cherry-popping awe is not easily overcome, even if better experiences existed before and have come out after.

There is also the aspect of what you're looking for. If you want to sprint around in Tolkeinesque high fantasy non-Britain and whack shit with a sword Oblivion is a great game for that. Arguably the best game for that still today. That's not what most people on this site are looking for however.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
/V/ for example, has a very inexplicable love boner for Oblivion, and I haven't the foggiest why. There's vehement detractors of course, but the consensus is good, strangely.

DraQ

Arcane
A lot of people love Oblivion still today and even claim it's better than Skyrim. My theory on these people is that 90% of them are console only gamers who got their first taste of a real open world Western RPG when Oblivion pretty much launched with the Xbox 360. That kind of cherry-popping awe is not easily overcome, even if better experiences existed before and have come out after.
Possibly. There are also some "I R OLDSKUL GMRR" tryhards, bizarrely enough I've even seen people who liked DF and OB but didn't like MW (wait, what).

Still, after release of Skyrim Oblivion seemed to have waned in terms of relevance rapidly while Morrowind is still going strong.

If a game is about running around the same gameworld for hundreds of hours it helps if this gameworld has some stuff going for it and isn't generic and boring.

There is also the aspect of what you're looking for. If you want to sprint around in Tolkeinesque high fantasy non-Britain and whack shit with a sword Oblivion is a great game for that. Arguably the best game for that still today.
For a first hour or two maybe. Then you notice everything is the same and also have level scaling and HP bloat kick in and building forts out of daedric armour gets old quick, especially after they get exploded by asshole physics after you set down the second piece.

/V/ for example, has a very inexplicable love boner for Oblivion, and I haven't the foggiest why. There's vehement detractors of course, but the consensus is good, strangely.
TYPICAL HOOMAN BRIAN said:
I couldn't have bought a shitty game, therefore oblibian is gud. QED.

Durwyn

Prophet

My GF suffered from this affliction:negative:. She was a typical Girl Player few years ago, played mainly the Sims, browser games and Solitare. One time she saw me playing and asked me to get her some "serious" game but it had to be FPP and all the dialogs had to be voiced. It was my gravest mistake to invite her to heavily modded Oblivion. She got bored after 200 hours and continuously claimed it is the best gaem evah for it has such a beautiful open world, lots of monsters to kill and generally LARPing shit.

Fortunately, there is a happy ending to this story as she fell in love with VtM:Bloodlines and her last attempt to get back to Oblivion was a festival of very imaginative cursing. Plus she hates FO3 but loves FNV, still I can't force her to play anything 2d and isometric, either TB or RT. Halp?

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

My GF suffered from this affliction:negative:. She was a typical Girl Player few years ago, played mainly the Sims, browser games and Solitare. One time she saw me playing and asked me to get her some "serious" game but it had to be FPP and all the dialogs had to be voiced. It was my gravest mistake to invite her to heavily modded Oblivion. She got bored after 200 hours and continuously claimed it is the best gaem evah.

Fortunately, there is a happy ending to this story as she fell in love with VtM:Bloodlines and her last attempt to get back to Oblivion was a festival of very imaginative cursing. Plus she hates FO3 but loves FNV, still I can't force her to play anything 2d and isometric, either TB or RT. Halp?
Morrowind, Daggerfall, Wizardry 8, other good blobbers, Deus Ex 1&3, other good first person hybrids.

Maybe then try coaxing her into either earlier Fallouts ("You liked FNV, didn't you?") or PS:T.

Durwyn

Prophet
Morrowind
She tried it. No voice-acting and hit-chance FPP combat was a big no-no for her...
Wizardry 8, other good blobbers
Saw me playing W8, said it's boring.
Deus Ex 3
She played it for a while, liked sneaking but not the setting.
other good first person hybrids
She loved Thief: DS and currently plays Thief 2, which I thought will be not digestible for her due to no waypoints (she cannot into maps without markers) and aged graphics. To my surprise T2 gives me many cold and lonely nights now.
Maybe then try coaxing her into either earlier Fallouts ("You liked FNV, didn't you?") or PS:T.
Absolute no. Turn-based is unbearable for her, however I have some hopes for Original Sin and co-op play which she is very fond of after some mutual fun with RE6, Hunted (yes... Hunted) and L4D2 plus she liked the gameplay from KS update. This is my only hope for turning her into a True CRPG fag/lesbo

Women... so full of contradictions. Finished Venetica but couldn't get into Gothic 2,3 and Risen.

Last edited:
Try Two Worlds 2 or Torchlight 2.

I've seen plenty of people on /v/ who are even more vitriolic towards Oblivion than the Codex. It's a much bigger userbase so you'll get all sorts of opinions.

hakuroshi

Augur
Possibly. There are also some "I R OLDSKUL GMRR" tryhards, bizarrely enough I've even seen people who liked DF and OB but didn't like MW (wait, what).

Guess, it's because Oblivion has more in common with DF then MW. It's a generic fantasyland with relatively big dungeons and action-y mouse twisting combat. And it has horses and houses. And Dark Brotherhood. And Temples (alas, no nudity, but modders did fix that) And level scaling was made on DF model, not MW. Also wilderness seemed to be procedurally generated and managed to rival DF wilderness content-wise (i.e. empty of anything interesting) despite looking more like actual wilderness. It is astonishing to discover how much Oblivion tried to bring back from DF only to ruin it or magnify faults to disaster.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

My GF suffered from this affliction:negative:. She was a typical Girl Player few years ago, played mainly the Sims, browser games and Solitare. One time she saw me playing and asked me to get her some "serious" game but it had to be FPP and all the dialogs had to be voiced. It was my gravest mistake to invite her to heavily modded Oblivion. She got bored after 200 hours and continuously claimed it is the best gaem evah for it has such a beautiful open world, lots of monsters to kill and generally LARPing shit.

What about Mount and Blade, can't go much wrong there.

Durwyn

Prophet
Just when you think you nailed it... Nope, because no magic, no voice-overs, no real plot.

But still thanks bro for hinting me some boredom killer. I'll check some new mods.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just when you think you nailed it... Nope, because no magic, no voice-overs, no real plot.

But still thanks bro for hinting me some boredom killer. I'll check some new mods.
Some mods will have magic. And there is voice over. *ahem* Ai will drinkkfrumyerskull!
And some mods will have mods.

Prophecy of Pendor, maybe.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I've seen a lot of hate for Oblivion since Skyrim came out. Even on places like SomethingAwful, where it's heresy to enjoy anything made before 2006 or to dislike anything made in 2006 or later, there's a pretty complete consensus that Oblivion was a terrible mistake and Skyrim is a vast improvement. I've also seen a lot more people who've gone back to Morrowind because they're bored of the modern TES/FO3 style and failings than I ever did a few years ago. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

DraQ

Arcane

Guess, it's because Oblivion has more in common with DF then MW. It's a generic fantasyland with relatively big dungeons and action-y mouse twisting combat. And it has horses and houses. And Dark Brotherhood. And Temples (alas, no nudity, but modders did fix that) And level scaling was made on DF model, not MW. Also wilderness seemed to be procedurally generated and managed to rival DF wilderness content-wise (i.e. empty of anything interesting) despite looking more like actual wilderness. It is astonishing to discover how much Oblivion tried to bring back from DF only to ruin it or magnify faults to disaster.
In other words, they liked Oblivion for implementing everything that sucked in Daggerfall. But it also implemented everything that sucked in Morrowind, so I don't buy it.

As for the temples, DB and scaling:
- MW at least acknowledged the existence of temples with nudity in High Rocks AND CYRODIIL and cleverly covered up lack of nudity in its own temples with "Dunmer r intolerant and we have enough problems as it is".
- DB was present in MW and at least wasn't retarded.
- Skyrim is close to DF in terms of scaling, OB was closer to OMGWTF.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom