Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Aurora Community Game

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Is there interest for one? Since C# version seems to be months and months away, I've been thinking of attempting this for the third time. It would follow the example of Culture Clash, ie each player can freely create their own nation-state in the aftermath of a nuclear war on Earth as they wish.

I know Kalin is interested but are there any other willing victims participants? If there is interest, I can create a Discord server to host it and start formulating rules and so on.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I'm in of course, would like to try something new this time, maybe play as the United States.

One yuge thing though, I said it before but I forgot where so I'll just reiterate:

Really need to make it an advanced start if we want any chance of proper expansion, fleet warfare in other systems, subjugating and/or getting recked by aliens etc. Like we could well start at the place we occupied close to the end of Clash of Cultures. So far we've started at chump-level and it's just not fun to research the basic techs over and over and gearing up for the space race that never happens.

I'd also recommend giving everyone basic ship, sensor and weapon tech so we can start building stuff right away. A bunch of garrison units and PDCs with missiles in them would be good as well to defend against planetary aggression (not the shitty pre-TN nukes, they seem to always mess games up, early TN missiles or bust).

Also need a starting mass driver, spaceport, well-developed naval and commercial shipyards, plus a bunch of mines, maybe some auto-mines and factories at the start, because some noob will always mess up the conversion of conventional industry otherwise. Better throw in a yuge bunch of those commander-generating structures too so we can actually make diplomatic and espionage teams, those fellas were in really short supply last times around. Oh, and maybe give survey data for Sol to everyone at the start?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I can see the value in that. I've created a discord for this: https://discord.gg/mS4bS5E

Kalin wants real countries, Hellraiser wants made-up countries - allow mix'n'match or what?

Actually, how about that each player starts at a different body? We got Earth, Mars, Venus and the moons of Jupiter as good candidates. I could terraform them to be Earth-like.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Bro I don't do discord I tried it because of Dayya back when we played Axis and Allies and I basically got the AIDS from it. True story!

For factions, mixing it up would be good. I mean I wouldn't play US like the country is today. Also maybe have every faction start established on Earth so there's always tension and risk of ITZ on the "old world" but also give each faction an exclusively colonized planet/moon? Omni could have Io for example, just an idea of course.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Dibs on Mars. Also no Discord, it's annoying.

I don't have the time nowadays to remember things for Aurora, so I'll go with the flow.

Mars gives me the chance to make up some good faction. I'm seriously torn between silly stuff and going for UAC-lite, inspired from CTech or something (horrible system, neat lore). Literal demon-worshipping corporates to oppose Omniventures, that are.... well, another kind of demon-worshipping corporates.

Or maybe I'll go for sillier stuff.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So how about this:

1. Each faction has Earth as their homeworld.
2. Each faction has a base on another body - players get to pick one.
3a. I'll do up-to Earth atmo terraforming for the chosen body. That means that places like Luna and Mars will turn into colony cost 0, whereas other places will become easier to use though still require infrastructure.
3b. Alternatively, I'll terraform the chosen body to as near human tolerances as possible. There are some places in Sol that can never be cc0 for humans, like Triton.
4. Each faction has 2x commercial and 2x naval shipyards on Earth (100k, 50k and 10k and 5k) as well as X amount of factories and other facilities.
5. Each faction has only a mass driver and some mines in their chosen body.
6. Ground forces will be mirrored between all factions.
7a. Each faction has group of 5 freighters but no other ships.
7b. Each faction has 100,000 build points worth to build ships that they need.

Respond with 3a or 3b as well as 7a or 7b or post alternatives.

tindrli

Arcane
i dont know.. never played before so ill take 3a and about point 7. ill agreed with other bros

Hellraiser

Arcane
3b 7a

I want Jupiter's moon Europa as my starting offworld colony. Omniventures I.C.E. (Interplanetary Cryogenic Enterprises) a wholly-owned subsidiary of Omninventures DSV (a subsidiary of Omniventures Holding, which itself is a subsidiary of Omniventures Inc.) will manage it.

Terraforming them to livable is nice and all, but what if the rock has no useful T-N? Main reason I went with Io in CoC was because my geologist crew uncovered hidden Duranium deposits there which were the only decent ones on any colonizable rock in Sol apart from Earth (accessibility was 0.9 I think which was godlike). The radioactive and magma cooked BBQ potential was a secondary factor. Man Io was awesome, especially after Kwa broke up and I could LARP taking in Texan refugees that wanted freedumb.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Pretty sure you're just gonna sit around and do nothing as usual until someone blasts you out of the game. :lol:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I'll put decent amounts of TN on each non-Earth body to make sure there was a reason why your faction colonized that rock. It will also mean that each faction will have their civilian economy jump-start to life immediately.

3B is clearly winning, so ColCost 0 for all. Dayyālu wants Mars, Hellraiser wants Europa, tindrli wants Ganymede, Kalin wants Venus, what about the rest of you? Possible choices are:
Luna (but that is literally Earth's back door, even TL3 lasers can reach Luna from Earth orbit)
Mercury
Io
Callisto, problem with these two is that they are right next door to Europa and Ganymede, so expect border conflict with other players
Titan, will never reach colony cost 0 and as it orbits Saturn, it is somewhat far from Earth

As for ships, 7A is currently winning 2-1 against 7B.

One more point is tech level. I propose that all players start with general TL1, meaning the first Trans-Newtonian step on each tech. Alternatively we could put in a limit like 10,001 RP, meaning that each player has research everything that is cheaper than 10,000 RP. That would mean that everyone starts with Jump Tech researched and we would skip any arguments over real estate in Sol. Finally, do we start with Geo survey done or not?

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
tindrli called dibs on Ganymede bro GarfunkeL. I do not fear border conflict, Omniventures is only interested in healthy market freedom and deregulation. Omniventures I.C.E. is dedicated to sustainable growth, diversity, peace, nuclear non-proliferation, wildlife preservation, religious tolerance, CO2 emission reduction and international friendship.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Guess I'll grab Venus then.

Wouldn't mind more tech right off the bat, but maybe 10,000 is a bit much? Could do 5,000 maybe?

Iirc that should give jump tech and other basics without stuff like cloaking etc.

Also yes to free survey in Sol.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well tech stuff gets expensive real fast, 10000 RP limit isn't actually that much, it'll get you to a mix between TL2 (engines) and TL3 (weapons, sensors).

Thanks, fixing Ganymede for tindrli

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It entails making decisions on how your faction/nation proceeds. I don't think it's a lot of work - maybe the others can answer better since they've done it before.

Dayyālu

Arcane
What would active participation entail on the part of the participant?
If too much effort, I'll stick to just watching the thread ;)

It entails making decisions on how your faction/nation proceeds. I don't think it's a lot of work - maybe the others can answer better since they've done it before.

Translated:

You read the Wikia and forum posts about Aurora, understand it's a mess of galactic proportions, you don't understand jack shit.
Send random orders to Garfunkel and larp on the thread while insane diplo goes around in frenzied PMs.
Then Garfunkel goes for his yearly summer travel to waste his Northerner Welfare Benefits Bucks with some Thai whore and the thread dies.

SO JOIN IN IT WILL BE FUN AND YOU CAN'T FUCK IT UP

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
All rite, lemme try ma hand. Dibs on mainland Europe on Terra (would go all Weyland-Yutani on your arses, but we already have two shady hypercorps, so I guess I'll stick to a Neo-Roman Imperium) and Mercury offworld.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom