Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yendorian Tales II

Luzur

Good Sir

howdy guize, just wanna throw this out there for you who got this game from either me or other places, found this tidbit some weeks ago but promptly forgot until today, when i restarted Yendor II.

I actually bought these games within the last 6 years (can’t remember exactly)FROM the company’s website. I’ve since had that particular hard drive crash on me, and I cannot recall if I received disks in the mail, or just downloaded from the site.
I first found out about these games from some shareware site, and absolutely fell in love with book 2 (i had never played the first top down game.) If you go to http://www.gamefaqs.com you will find that the shareware versions are the SAME as the FULL VERSION. I wrote a guide to help people give themselves any item and in doing so, found out how to get around the shareware limitation. really, the only thing blocking you from finishing the game is an extra line of code in the game which makes you stop at a certain point.
Using a hex editor, you can give yourself any item. and by giving yourself the correct item, you can bypass the spot that stops you (a key if i remember correctly) which will teleport you to a town full of skeletons if i remember correctly. This is exactly where that blocked portal would have dumped you out at. So I was able to enjoy the rest of that game, which made me finally purchase the games from the site. It’s sad that the site is gone now, as I would have loved to see if perhaps the game engine was available to purchase so that we could see some decent homebrew dungeon crawlers.
Here is the direct link to my guide
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/924471-yendorian-tales-book-1-chapter-2/faqs

Thank you very much for posting this file. and if anyone wants to cheat a little and give yourself any item, then check my guide at gamefaqs. I painstakingly went through EVERY SINGLE ITEM IN GAME. Since some items caused the game to crash, I assure you it was a lengthy process. Keep in mind that this is for the second chapter, but I would assume that the hex info probably works for the third book as well. (though the items may be different, or there might be more.)
Hope this helps a few people enjoy this game a bit more. I would probably refrain from using the hex hack too early in your adventure, just so you dont spoil the game for yourself. If you need a little money, or some food, go for it, but leave the high power weapons for later on, or if you have problems, or are going for your second playthrough.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
howdy guize, just wanna throw this out there for you who got this game from either me or other places, found this tidbit some weeks ago but promptly forgot until today, when i restarted Yendor II.
Thanks Luzur. This is one of the games I don't know much about and would love to find a boxed copy of.

mondblut

Arcane
The registered versions of 2 and 3 weren't hard to get your hands upon even 15 years ago. I figure stuff like HOTU or abandonia or whatever is ought to have them available without any hex editing.

Now, the complete part 1, that must be one of the most coveted software collector's items. Second only to that "Loremaster" game nobody ever seen.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Yeah, the Yendoran Tales were a shareware series of crpgs from the mid-late 90's. They were the second shareware crpg to cut the middlemen (publishers and retailers) and sell directly from the internet, the first being Vogel/Spiderweb software.

If I recall correctly, Yendoran I + II was 3rd person, but III was first person. I remember I always wanted to play them, but unfortunately did not have a credit card, and Napster and what later became torrents were yet to be invented. Also, ppl were good then and did not put up pirated games for download...

Mortmal

Arcane
Second only to that "Loremaster" game nobody ever seen.
Tell me more about this game. I can't find any information on it at all. Is it a CRPG?

I know the most important thing is to filter and be absolutely sure a game is a crpg and no some anime aberration , but yes yendoraian tales is one of the well known shareware crpg of the 90's, yendorian tales 1 was turn based and top down more like ultima , yendorian 2 is closer to might and magic than dungeon master . Now i s it worth playing? Like most games of that era for nostalgia value as its not bringing anything new to the table nor especially shines in any area , still was ok to play. A simple google search gives you any info you need to know about it, and download links. Theres probably better things to play before andthose sharewares are for the desesperate who really played everything else .

MMXI

Arcane
Tell me more about this game. I can't find any information on it at all. Is it a CRPG?
I know the most important thing is to filter and be absolutely sure a game is a crpg and no some anime aberration , but yes yendoraian tales is one of the well known shareware crpg of the 90's, yendorian tales 1 was turn based and top down more like ultima , yendorian 2 is closer to might and magic than dungeon master . Now i s it worth playing? Like most games of that era for nostalgia value as its not bringing anything new to the table nor especially shines in any area , still was ok to play. A simple google search gives you any info you need to know about it, and download links. Theres probably better things to play before andthose sharewares are for the desesperate who really played everything else .
Learn to read you faggot. And the reason I'm calling you a faggot is because of that lame little dig at the start of your irrelevant post.

Phelot

Arcane
I remember references to Loremaster, but now LOTRO and WoW have inundtated google results :lol:

Was 'Loremaster' the full name though?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
I might have played this briefly. Were there a bunch of spiders in the first town? Not sure if 2 or 3...

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Ok I guess it was the other way round. Book I + II blobbers, Book III 3rd person.

Anyhow, it might have done really well had it come before Xeen, or right after.

mondblut

Arcane

Supposedly. The largest source of information is our very own Codex: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...aster-by-creative-software-corporation.19731/

and the 'Watch, post by the same guy: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38152

The only place this game is ever mentioned is a list of games belonging to "Classic Fond" collection - a series of 60+ pirate CD-ROMs filled with older games and cdrips, issued in russistan circa 95-98. Such as this: http://lib.web-malina.com/getbook.php?bid=312&page=43

Its entry is formatted as traditional CF entry, bearing the following info:

Loremaster I: Send for the Loremaster Creative Software A mage fights monsters. Role-playing V 1991 20165 PC AD SB RL K M install ver

Thing is, actual Classic Fond disks never featured that game. Either it was on some very rare third party disk branded as CF (pirates got pirated out of their IPs all the time), or it's some elaborate joke. Also, 20mb in 1991? Sounds doubtful.

Luzur

Good Sir

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, I thought two years ago you just restarted game. I'm glad what it was helpful. :)

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture

Supposedly. The largest source of information is our very own Codex: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...aster-by-creative-software-corporation.19731/

and the 'Watch, post by the same guy: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38152

The only place this game is ever mentioned is a list of games belonging to "Classic Fond" collection - a series of 60+ pirate CD-ROMs filled with older games and cdrips, issued in russistan circa 95-98. Such as this: http://lib.web-malina.com/getbook.php?bid=312&page=43

Its entry is formatted as traditional CF entry, bearing the following info:

Loremaster I: Send for the Loremaster Creative Software A mage fights monsters. Role-playing V 1991 20165 PC AD SB RL K M install ver

Thing is, actual Classic Fond disks never featured that game. Either it was on some very rare third party disk branded as CF (pirates got pirated out of their IPs all the time), or it's some elaborate joke. Also, 20mb in 1991? Sounds doubtful.

There's a copy of what appears to be this game (listed as Loremaster) in the "Total Dos Collection", you can grab it off the Internet Archive here:
(Pre-installed)
(Installer)
The release date is listed as 1993 rather than '91, and it's only 5mb, but it seems reasonably legitimate.

guJlDmV.png

9uitv2S.png

Ac2wGbW.png

6cuEYcy.png
I also found this ad (from CGW, I think) when I was digging around a few years ago:
sja9HkO.png

EDIT:
Actually, there's also a copy of Yendorian Tales: Book I dated as 2002, which doesn't seem to have the usual shareware notice at the start. I'm not that familiar with the game, but it might be worth a look?

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
There's a copy of what appears to be this game (listed as Loremaster) in the "Total Dos Collection", you can grab it off the Internet Archive here:
Actually, there's also a copy of Yendorian Tales: Book I dated as 2002, which doesn't seem to have the usual shareware notice at the start. I'm not that familiar with the game, but it might be worth a look?

Nice finds, man! Yendor actually has 256 color graphics. Loremaster doesn't seem to work though. "Please be patient while the game world is being built", patient my ass. Will try the installer now.

mondblut

Arcane
Finally got it running. Installer doesn't work shit, and the game itself must be in c:\LM1 folder to work, also needs 32 RAM set in dosbox.

V_K

Arcane
Finally got it running. Installer doesn't work shit, and the game itself must be in c:\LM1 folder to work, also needs 32 RAM set in dosbox.
Did you do anything else? I changed the memsize setting and it still says "not enough memory".
And more importantly - is it worth the fuss?

mondblut

Arcane
Did you do anything else? I changed the memsize setting and it still says "not enough memory".

I run it at fairly low CPU speed, like 3000 and below. No other options were enabled.

And more importantly - is it worth the fuss?

You tell me, I didn't get it how to play :D A combination of text input and very inconvenient mouse controls (you click on stuff and use RMB to switch cursor modes... and there are like a dozen of them). There is some built in help on text commands, but not terribly useful. Like, there are commands to create new characters, but it doesn't work (and if it should be used in a specific place, it never tells). I walked around, tried to talk to a merchant with little success, cast a fire spell upon some "evil griffin", killing him, then the griffin got resurrected and killed me. Then I got resurrected and lost a level, went in the opposite direction, entered a temple, opened some door and the monk killed me. I got resurrected and lost a level. He killed me again, and again, and again, at which point I had to revert to the original build, because the game autosaves constantly. Quite a psychedelic experience, and I am afraid I feel too old to embrace and study it :lol: Maybe game manuals were invented for a reason, after all...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom