Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware "Yasumi Matsuno may or may not be surprised his new game is being released" Unsung Story thread

set

Cipher
more anti-hype incoming

Lingxiao if we have IAP please know that it will be IAP that you will not need to purchase in order to complete the game. The game we will deliver for all platforms will be a full and complete game. IAP will only be used to enhance the gaming experience. We are very careful with all of our games on the types of IAPs we offer.

If anyone here has backed this I would advise you to immediately withdraw your money. There is no way IAP "enhances" anything. If you pay full price for a game, you should get a full game. This is your typical smartphone drivel trying to sneak on by as something competent and complete.

Suicidal

Arcane
They're pretty optimistic to put a 2 million+ stretch goal even before reaching their target of 600k.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Please name a quality Japanese SRPG, nevermind a quality Japanese RPG in general - that's come out in the last five years. And don't give me that Persona shit - that plays practically like a visual novel / anime.

Demon's Souls.

Requires more strategy than most SRPGs anyways.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
They're pretty optimistic to put a 2 million+ stretch goal even before reaching their target of 600k.
Eh stretch goals I don't really mind. I honestly wish big names would plan their games out to account for more money instead of improvising on the spot when they hit their goal way eariler than expected. Of course there's also the solution of asking for what you need but with these guys I doubt that would have worked at all.

Ninjerk

Arcane
hmm. not sure what to make of that.
It looks like he was hired basically as a consultant to design a game on paper for them (like a construction company buying a blueprint for a building) and now they just need to raise funding and make the game. Don't be surprised if they get "creative" and ruin it (whatever it may be worth).

80Maxwell08

Arcane
dailypledges.png

There may be justice in this world after all
Not enough to keep this pitch from being funded. I probably wouldn't mind so much were it not for Matsuno's limited role. Seriously you got one of the best designers in the industry to make barely more than a concept? If they asked for more but had him on full time I wouldn't hold anything against them.

set

Cipher
Yeah, it petered out - no surprise that it flatlined. Fishy shit everywhere with this project.

It will probably still make it. The last 2 days of funding are about as much as the first two. People will get this thing creaking over the finish line - ensuring that if it is produced, it will be of barely playable quality (since, you know, kickstarter base line funding goals are way too optistmisc).

Repressed Homosexual
Alexander O Smith has localized all the post SNES Matsuno games and he is an extremely gifted writer, so he would probably act more like an editor this time around. If he is involved, you know it is going to be impeccably written, and extremely well localized. Something like Final Fantasy XII is simply one of the best localizations of all time, across any medium. He even gave different towns a specific dialect inspired by gaelic, Irish, Scottish, etc..

set

Cipher
The better question is, what are we getting for $600k USD?

Well, for one, IAS, or, what people who don't play phone games like moi know them as, "Pay to win single player functionality". Complete with silly timers, pay-gated content and rewards, et cetera

In a pc game?

Please take a hike.

I mean, I'd be more enthusiastic about this game if we had an actual in-engine screenshot -- I can't even be sure the sprite work for this game is going to be anything less than garbage. All I can picture in my mind is something worse than an indie game, which is a mobile cash shop title.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Hey should I post updates (or summarized updates) here? There's been a few and I've debated it but I'm not sure how many here even care.

set

Cipher
I can't even think of another kickstarter that got SO MUCH MONEY in the first two days and then died completely and utterly. Such a fascinating phenomenon - how did all that money get into their hands in the first place? How did this project go viral so fast and then everybody up and lose total interest in it so quickly? Did everyone else perceive not to trust these developers like me, or was there some other market or social-internet force responsible...?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I can't even think of another kickstarter that got SO MUCH MONEY in the first two days and then died completely and utterly. Such a fascinating phenomenon - how did all that money get into their hands in the first place? How did this project go viral so fast and then everybody up and lose total interest in it so quickly? Did everyone else perceive not to trust these developers like me, or was there some other market or social-internet force responsible...?
Honestly I was going to wait until the halfway point to give my analysis but this one is simple.

It starts with the news that Yasumi Matsuno is not only working on a new SRPG but it's on kickstarter right now and everyone should jump in and give them money. Then people watch the video and wonder where he is but hey maybe he's camera shy or they forgot to record him when in Japan or something. Then they read even more and notice he doesn't really have a defined role and still wonder. Then you read his posts on twitter about his role basically being done unless they get an unmentioned sum of money and well interest except for those really die hard fans with less common sense dies off and so little people want anything to do with it afterward. Combined with kickstarter exclusive classes and other issues no one wants in.

Also if anyone hasn't even bothered reading the updates because they don't care well you still shouldn't but nearly every single one of them is fixing something with the pitch. . Allow me to state what every update says in order.

Update #1 - Thanks for the money now we'll answer your questions later.
Update #2 - No this has nothing to do with the card game we just wrote that wrong. Also no this won't be a bad mobile port we promise.
Update #3 - Ok we removed that stuff about the card game now here's more addons please give more.
Update #4 - Hey we will let you have it DRM free now. See we do care! Now here's some more addons please we have families.
Update #5 - Hey thanks again. If you want more info don't worry we have it for you. On a later day.
Update #6 - We fixed our stretch goals now and most of them are ports which will make the game better because more people can buy it. Also someone who should probably be here by default will be here. Also more addons (one of them is boxed copies which I'm a sucker for but i just do not trust this since it looks so messed up) so if you wouldn't mind bugging your friends.
Update #7 - Hey thanks again and again so now we will let you choose what version of the game you will get (seriously why wasn't that there already?) so keep bugging people.
Update #8 (just posted today) - They actually have Matsuno on video now. It only took them 2 freaking weeks. If they started with him they could have hit their goal twice. Well it's only 40 seconds and it's him basically saying thanks. It honestly feels like a joke at this point. Also apparently he's still working on it but I have no idea on what. Well here's a Q&A on reddit that will be answered on thursday. On Wednesday they will be on ustream and the next update will announce 2 more classes.

When over half of your updates are just changing stuff from the pitch you seriously need to cancel and reevaluate. Honestly if I was them I would cancel the kickstarter, go back to Matsuno and figure out a budget where he and the usual people he works with can go full time on this then come back with an update where Matsuno's the main person talking so it actually looks like he's involved. I bet they could ask for twice their current goal and hit it within a few days.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

... Yasumi Matsuno is a jRPG name and the jRPG well only goes so deep on KickStarter. Not sure how much that affects this project though.

When over half of your updates are just changing stuff from the pitch you seriously need to cancel and reevaluate. Honestly if I was them I would cancel the kickstarter, go back to Matsuno and figure out a budget where he and the usual people he works with can go full time on this then come back with an update where Matsuno's the main person talking so it actually looks like he's involved. I bet they could ask for twice their current goal and hit it within a few days.

I somehow get the impression its a prohibitvely high amount of money if they won't give a specific number.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Akihiko Yoshida, Story Excerpt from Yasumi Matsuno, and New Character Classes Revealed!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians/posts/732084

First, before we get into the game content, we have something very exciting to share with everyone. We are ecstatic to announce that Akihiko Yoshida, one of the greatest character and game artists of all time, has joined the Unsung Story team!

Akihiko Yoshida is joining the core team at the base goal level and will be creating character artwork for Unsung Story! We have a video from him that he wanted us to share with all of you!

[short 36 sec video]

We know many of you have been asking if adding Akihiko Yoshida to the project would be a possibility, so we hope that this news is as exciting for you as it is for us!

It's a pity that I'm pretty much lost interest in this game...

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The project presentation makes it hard to understand the role of Matsuno, and the genesis of the project :
When I first heard about it before the KS, I thought it was Matsuno having a game he wanted to make and contacting Playdek to realize it, but the KS and lack of involvement from his side makes it sound like he was contracted for initial game design and his involvement is over afterwards, which is a bit weird, as he won't be the one reworking/rebalancing things after testing. Either way, the game itself sounds good, but the project management looks awkward.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
The project presentation makes it hard to understand the role of Matsuno, and the genesis of the project :
When I first heard about it before the KS, I thought it was Matsuno having a game he wanted to make and contacting Playdek to realize it, but the KS and lack of involvement from his side makes it sound like he was contracted for initial game design and his involvement is over afterwards, which is a bit weird, as he won't be the one reworking/rebalancing things after testing. Either way, the game itself sounds good, but the project management looks awkward.
From what he's said on twitter that's basically what happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom