Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware "Yasumi Matsuno may or may not be surprised his new game is being released" Unsung Story thread

Repressed Homosexual
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians

So it's actually a Kickstarter project?

Urgh, $80 pledge goal for special extra classes.

The funniest is the video, my how bad it is. Matsuno isn't even in it, and there are only two pictures of him with a plaster on his nose (?). It sounds like his involvement will be somewhat limited.

They have the composer, and Alexander O. Smith, the fabulous translator of his projects on board though (as stretch goals).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Almost worth it just to get the real scoop about what really happened with FF12 from the man himself.

Almost.

Repressed Homosexual
Rest assured that Japanophiles will make this one a success. It's really pathetic. Matsuno didn't even bother to provide a one minute video statement, or even a written statement for the project, and you have thousands of Japanophiles who are more excited than One Direction tween fangirls.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So why do they show Matsuno's face in the video but don't have a picture for below? Well once again without a physical copy option I'm instantly out. I'm not even asking for a huge box even a simple jewel case is fine with me.

As for actual criticism they really should have shown Matsuno in the video if they were going to brag so much about him being there. Also once again no to kickstarter exclusive content even if it's pathetically easy to unlock when the game comes out.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I love Matsuno's games, but I just can't back this. Cellphone game, done by american cellphone game developers, that had nothing to show on the KS but their fanboyism... and Matsuno himself only appears in two pictures!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love Matsuno's games, but I just can't back this. Cellphone game, done by american cellphone game developers, that had nothing to show on the KS but their fanboyism... and Matsuno himself only appears in two pictures!
They have a very good catalogue on iOS, though (they only port physical board games to iOS). Their games(Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep, Ascension and Summoner Wars...) have a good UI, and a good MP network system . So far, all of their games I have played were programmed very well. Even the AI, though far from stellar, was not completely clueless, which unfortunately is pretty good by videogame standards(board game AI seldom cheat, unlike 4X AI, as it would be weird to play with loaded die rolls and tampered decks of cards).
It all depends on whether Matsuno designs the game entirely, or they do it themselves and stick his name on the box.

bonescraper

This. As much as i'd love to see a FFT-like game on PC, they did nothing to convince me to back their project. And sorry, no guaranteed PC version, but PS Vita and 3DS are in strech goals? Fuck those losers.

Ok, i get it now. They actually need those 600.000$ to port their iPhone game to PC. Ridiculous. Fuck them and fuck their game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah, seriously. I was expecting to see Matsuno in the video.. but no. Only some middle aged balding guy who keeps calling him Matsuno-san. For fuck sake if you aren't speaking Japanese then please drop the retarded honorifics. It's sounds queer as hell.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Yeah, seriously. I was expecting to see Matsuno in the video.. but no. Only some middle aged balding guy who keeps calling him Matsuno-san. For fuck sake if you aren't speaking Japanese then please drop the retarded honorifics. It's sounds queer as hell.
And he got that wrong as well, it should be Matsuno Sensei.

set

Cipher
You basically shouldn't back games that are planned to have mobile ports, or where PC isn't even the damn main platform. Fuck that shit, no RPG planned in this manner anymore is gonna play worth crap. It's not 1999 anymore, the concept of an RPG, let alone an SRPG, is so dilluted now, you have no hope of getting anything that isn't crap.

Has anyone played any of Playdek's currently released games? I'd love to hear some rpgcodex reviews on their shit.

Mobile is LCD of the design equation - any game you make needs to not only run on that platform, but input too has to be considered. They have ported Baldur's Gate and FFT to mobile platforms, so while 'good games can exist on mobile' is true, we really know in this day in age what drives design, and that's convenience. And after that? It's making sure idiots on mobile platforms can figure out how to play the game.

Shadowrun Returns and more notably Godus suffer from this.

It doesn't help they have no concept work done and are a no-name casual developer. Matsuno apparently may not even be involved in game design, all I can pin down is he's writing the story. Gee Wiz. Who even talked him into agreeing on this thing?

I'd pay $100 or more for a legitimate Tactics Ogre sequel by the original creators, but this game isn't getting a cent from me. I mean, even if Wasteland 2 does get on its feet, even it is unlikely to be that good at this point. You're taking a huge risk on a bunch of vagueness - with the only certain thing that it's a mobile game (also going on Vita no less? The actual fuck? Why do developers get these awful ideas?).

m_s0

Arcane
This has to be one of the worst pitches I've seen. They couldn't even get a fucking sentence-long endorsement from the supposed mastermind of the project? "He's going to write this game, guys. Really, we promise. Look at how passionate we say we are. Could we lie to you?" :lol: Nothing to show, no effort put into the campaign, shitty Kickstarter-exlusive rewards, baffling stretch goals, everything is vague and/or poorly worded... (so at 2,800,000 you stop funding the game and start funding a concert "somewhere"? Brilliant idea). And perhaps most importantly the devs themselves aren't exactly reassuring.

Also, I love how they use an English language site to get the money while an English translation is a strech goal, and not even the first one :retarded:

Repressed Homosexual
It really is depressing that the shameless cash grab with nothing to show might actually work.

A few of the guys are going to Japan to meet with Matsuno and do an interview. They must realize they can't effectively promote the game without his presence. There's no doubt that when they will post his video with one minute of greetings and talk their pledges will virtually double in volume. No crowd is more desperate than the Japanophile crowd.

set

Cipher
That's the weird thing, it's not as if there was a dearth of quality japanese SRPGs... What exactly are they desperate for? A pisspoor imitation of the same?

????????????????????????????????????????

Please name a quality Japanese SRPG, nevermind a quality Japanese RPG in general - that's come out in the last five years. And don't give me that Persona shit - that plays practically like a visual novel / anime.

The last jSRPG I liked was Disgaea 1. FFTA and FFTA2 were total shit. I can't even think of any others, though I tried countless titles on the DS. I guess I like FE:Awakening a little bit, but it didn't wow me like some of the older FE titles.

I mean, nothing that's Japanese anyway, really comes close to Tactics Ogre. There are a few halfway decent SRPGs that might stack up close, but they're just about as old and dead. I'd love to see a proper revival of TO and I would happily pay to have one. But this ain't it, unless we're totally dead wrong about these guys somehow.

dehimos

Augur
@YasumiMatsuno
Just so there's no confusion: I won't be doing the day-to-day directing, but I will be involved throughout development of #UnsungStory

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah:

Just in case anyone's confused, my involvement with #UnsungStory is limited to the original game proposal, world design, and story.

I'm not directing #UnsungStory , I won't be involved with the nuts & bolts, and the game design may change from my original proposal.

Furthermore, my work on #UnsungStory is covered by the initial budget, and won't be affected by the Kickstarter (at least, not yet.)

I am the visionary of the game, from mechanics to story. Playdek is realizing this vision with me.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What I make is that clearly the game will each its goal, so I'm not needed.

Will just wait for release and take it for what it is then.

set

Cipher
valkyria chronicles comes to mind
Isn't that the game where all you do is play scouts and reach the end of a map in two turns because every other style of play is harshly punished?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom