Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

GrainWetski

Arcane
I doubt you'll keep your PS4 around forever so that might be a reason?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I would say a big TV and a nice sofa make it better to go with the PS4. There's two reason to play on the PC as far as I'm concerned, which are modding or mouse+keyboard controls. Modding probs won't even be a thing, and Yakuza is best enjoyed with a controller.

Ivan

Arcane
I haven't gone back to couch gaming sine I was a kid with the SNES. Don't know if I miss it....

Modron

Arcane
I would say a big TV and a nice sofa make it better to go with the PS4. There's two reason to play on the PC as far as I'm concerned, which are modding or mouse+keyboard controls. Modding probs won't even be a thing, and Yakuza is best enjoyed with a controller.
You can larp playing a roach hotel console by plugging your pc into that big tv and using a controller if you are that hard up.

Vaarna_Aarne

What? It literally takes 1 second to switch.
The computer belongs in the study, I will not move it unless necessary, and I will not trust it if I cannot see it. The console and the sofa and the recliners belong in the living room or the theater room, that's simply how it is supposed to be.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Yakuza 0 is a good start being a prequel, and I think they have plans to bring all the games to PS4.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, at least in Japan. I have no idea if they are planning on extending the courtesy to the West, but odds are yes considering recent releases.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The computer belongs in the study, I will not move it unless necessary, and I will not trust it if I cannot see it. The console and the sofa and the recliners belong in the living room or the theater room, that's simply how it is supposed to be.
Steam Link is 95% off and costs 3€.

Vaarna_Aarne

Doesn't matter, the computer belongs in the study, and should stay in the study. The console belongs in the theater and living room, and should stay there. And neither should be trusted if you cannot see them when you use them.

Last edited:

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is Yakuza a jrpg? I always thought of it as an extremely elaborate 3d beat em up.

I still need to play Kiwami and 6.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Watching Hokuto no Ken, it's no wonder they decided to make a Ryu ga Gotoku game out of it. The manliness and the characters fit Yakuza characters like a glove (I haven't even checked the cast for Hokuto no Gotoku, but I can pretty much predict already who is going to be who).

Deflowerer

Arcane
I also finished Yakuza 6. Don't have time to write too much atm, but it's probably one of the best Yakuzas to date for sure. So my current ranking as of right now is:

Yakuza 0 > Yakuza 2 > Yakuza 6 > Yakuza 3 > Yakuza 1: Kiwami > Yakuza 5 > Yakuza 4 > Yakuza 1.

I will probably wait until Christmas till I get Kiwami 2, after all, the game itself takes place on Christmas. Just have an inkling suspicion that they will announce STEAM release for it by the end of the year.

Next up, Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! Should be manageable with the available guide. Unless there's a lot of period-specific vocabulary, I should be able to understand most voiced dialogue as well.

No Great Name

Arcane
Finished playing the first Yakuza recently. I'll post my actual review of it on the Games Your Wasting Time On thread once I get around to writing it, but for now I'll just post some thoughts here.

Where do I even start with the controls? It took me most of the game to get used to the clunkiness of the combat and even then I was still firing off attacks in directions I never wanted to aim in. I swear Kazuma just does a complete 180 for no reason sometimes and the game has a really weird way of buffering combo strings. If you hit the attack buttons quickly, the entire combo will be buffered with little effort, but if you try tapping the attack button to continue the combo only when you see that the first hit had landed, then most of the time it will not register. This in combination with the horrible way (maybe I'm just bad?) way aiming attacks works in this game, and Kazuma often ended unleashing a combo in the wrong direction. At the same time, the combat is strangely satisfying when things are going your way and the boss battles are a good mix of awesome and infuriating (especially Majima, fuck that dude).

I didn't really do a whole lot of the side stuff and other things, mostly because it didn't seem like the rewards were really worth it.

I do have a question about the difficulty level though. The game starts on normal difficulty by default and will ask if you want to turn the difficulty down to easy if you fail a battle too many times. Is there a hard mode as well in this game? All the info I find when I search online just talks about the Kiwami version instead which obviously doesn't apply to the original.

Ivan

Arcane
I have a question as someone who's going into this mostly blind: is combat relegated to tiny areas (a la Devil May Cry) or does combat occur in the open world (e.g. Sleeping Dogs, GTA)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom