Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

It's very early but, just 77% positive? Ah, almost all negative reviews are Chinese and seemingly most of them are about the lack of Chinese localization (which existed in the console release it seems?)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
holy shit i enjoy this so fucking much. it's janky as fuck and most likely low budget af, but it hits all the right note of janky. the combat is good so far, kinda like sleeping dogs but with a less polished but deeper mechanics. the ambient and atmosphere is great and voice acting is great as far as my non japanese ear can listen.
it is also fun af how it goes from suspenseful drama, to over the top slapstick comedy. the thing is about 90 minutes it, they nailed both drama and comedy and it change tone as smooth as chameleon change color. one time it's serious, one time you are making a fisting joke and it doesnt feel out place.

i dunno, the game is janky and crazy, but the good kind of janky and crazy for me. i think i am gonna enjoy this so much.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
For extra immersion:

japwhiskey1.jpg

D3F2E841DE04F2966E54233F59195A60F934F248

Drunk massacre simulator. This game is so good.

HoboForEternity What makes you think this is a low budget game? Quite the opposite. There's a ton of little details everywhere, the character modeling is ace and the environments are quite detailed.

However, it is nonapologetically still a game, because good JP developers are monocled and Nagoshi is definitely a :obviously: individual. Is a game acually having gameplay what you call 'janky'?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One can never get tired of Kiryu just swaying past a haymaker and stretching his neck before getting ready to kick ass while Force Addiction starts to play.

EDIT: Okay, Receive You ~Tech Trance Arrange~ starting to play is also amazing:

ultimanecat

Arcane
Got to play this for a few hours this morning. Seems like a decent Japanese port (so actually not amazing but at least functional) and runs really well...

...that is, after I got it working. If you use a laptop with an nVidia card and the game runs like dogshit, the sound stutters, or it freezes during cutscenes, it’s because the game defaults to integrated graphics. Set it to only use your actual graphics card in the nVidia control panel.

Runs at 4k 60fps on max without any drops for me and I'm running an ancient 5+ year old i5 with 8gb ram. GTX 1070 tho. It's a very solid port.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
And I was just going to buy a ps4 to get into this series, ahaha what a fool. Buying this for PC. Hope they release the other games!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Drunk massacre simulator. This game is so good.

HoboForEternity What makes you think this is a low budget game? Quite the opposite. There's a ton of little details everywhere, the character modeling is ace and the environments are quite detailed.

However, it is nonapologetically still a game, because good JP developers are monocled and Nagoshi is definitely a :obviously: individual. Is a game acually having gameplay what you call 'janky'?
well i guess i just havent used to the movement yet, it feels kinda heavy as for combat it is like sleeping dogs but with actual combo system and more gamey mechanics.

The low budget assumption because there are no flashy cinematic cutscene, isntead just dialogue with still models, but it might be that i am wrong and it is an artistic decision and not resource constraint.

Which is totally fine because cinematics are overrated. The voice acting sounds great, the use of music is great and the stills looks like a manga panel shot, which is cool.

My (probably wrong) assumption mostly came from unfamiliarity and views based on conventional AAA game design style.

I dont care at this point if the game actually a AAA production or made with shoestring budget because its good as fuck. Cant wait to go home from work and continue playing.

There are tons of fully animated cutscenes (with lip-sync and better character models) in the game - the stylized ones with still models and dialogue are pretty rare. I just don't understand how you could say this looks poor (especially for realtime - nevermind the pretty bad DoF implementation):

BB9EA922D71BA69D9225760583A3DF7CEB14A601

11FF2133C70BD5D74EDF98588FB852F9CCCDB230

I guess you mean pre-rendered cutscenes? There are none of those (and thankfully so).

As for the fighting controls, I think you have to realize that they are a sort of heir of SEGA arcade beat-em-ups, like Die Hard Arcade or Spikeout. I think it's pretty great (especially the boss fights), and some of the power moves look incredibly brutal and feel awesome.

Vorark

Erudite
How is the performance for those with mid/low spec PCs? I have a 4th gen i5 @ 3,1ghz and hopefully my 1050ti will return fixed from rma.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How is the performance for those with mid/low spec PCs? I have a 4th gen i5 @ 3,1ghz and hopefully my 1050ti will return fixed from rma.

I can run it on max on a 4 years old laptop with a 3 GHz i7, 8GB of RAM and a 2 GB graphic card (like for ultimanecat the game defaulted to the integrated GPU).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is true that it's I'm fairly sure relatively low budget though, with a small development time. IIRC aside from concurrent development most Yakuza games have around a year of development. But still, SEGA's not a big company like it used to be, and Japanese third party developer budgets overall are lower than the giant bloated triple A budgets are nowadays.

If anything, I'd say the lower budget and shorter development time is a credit to Yakuza series, since they punch way above their weight and show how much you can get done by proper asset resuse, good craftsmanship (SEGA's face scan tech is a good example of this, way better results than what something that got more time and money put into it gets) and clear idea of what you're trying to achieve. Yakuza stands as a stark contrast to something like Assassin's Creed which has probably double digit multiple sized budget and assets at its disposal, but Yakuza just does everything better even if it doesn't have the graphics money (and Yakuza's graphics too I believe deserve greater credit because even if it doesn't stand out in texture detail Kamurocho feels way more alive and real than just about any other open world area).

As for the combat, it only feels heavy at first until you start to figure out the flow of attacks and how you can build up and conserve Heat efficiently. Having enough Heat that your battle aura gets visible significantly increases your attack speed. After you get a grasp of how fast each stance is and how you should position yourself in a fight, you start to quickly adjust.

Now jam to one of the best boss themes evar and remember that the man who loses is the one who stops getting back up after being beaten down:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I was about to say Yakuza 0 must've been an exception to their development practices, but looking at game release schedules that doesn't appear to be the case. They simply got that good working with what they had.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom