Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Yпадок 21, Возвращение

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Oh God, yes, take your time Muty, I just discovered a glaring weakness in my build. Gimme time and I'll re-submit. Do I need to do something in order to erase the current one or i just send the next one?

sqeecoo

Arcane
This is taking so long that I've, in my imagination, played a game with Gath and gotten fed up with it, although it's a very decent nation. If I can I'd switch to Mictlan, where blood is not thicker than water.

sqeecoo

Arcane
No no, we are waiting for the mysterious people yet to submit their pretenders. I guess we will never find out who they are, as Dayyalu cannot into nation lists.

Infinitum

Scholar
Well, I vote we wait and restart then. Also humbly request a new thread with a player - nation list in the OP?

sqeecoo

Arcane
Oh great administrator, are you really gonna force me to play Gath when you started the game immediately after I asked to switch to my sweet, sweet Mictlan? If you do, I pledge to roll d6 every game year. On a roll of 1 I go AI, on a roll of 6 I'll create a nation list.

Infinitum

Scholar
So, uh, I'm out. 4-connection capital, 1 throne adjacent. Softest AI province was 70 soulless and undead horsemen (the rest being largeish blobs of crossbows and/or heavy cav). Shouldn't be a problem for my prophet no sweat, 2 banishes to wipe out enough of the horsemen and then pick off the chaff at his leisure. Well guess what; spellcasting AI outright refuses to target the cavalry even once EVEN AS THEY BEAR RIGHT DOWN ON HIM because there's a larger blob of soulless far behind them, and my starting army is archers and shit spearmen. Cue skellingtons. Why doesn't this shit happen in SP testing instead? Lost prophet because of course he lets himself get surrounded rather than run away. can't take the other provinces for the next 3 turns with my anemic production, and I can't be arsed to play out another game with no prospects to expand. Sorry.
This fucking game.. :negative:

EDIT: Oh and also the gemmed up Wight Mage sumoning hordes of skeletons. There, done complaining.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
sqeecoo: Gath
Dayyālu: Xibalba
Submit your X Muty: Ulm
Matalarata: C'Tis
Grif : T'ien Ch'i
KoolNoodles coldcrow: Abysia
Satan Grimwulf: Man

Should be functional. Consider I used random tidbits of PMs, dice rolling and divination to fill the list. In case I've made some mistakes, I'm sure our moderator and admin will gladly correct them, before pasting this both in the OP and llamaserver.

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
Wait, we're getting another AI on turn 3? Dear god. Maybe it's time for a restart? So I can get my mictlan I was so rudely denied? :happytrollboy:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Oh God, please no restarts ffs. Since when a failed start is all it takes to go AI? Dafuq I failed each and every expansion in the first 3 games I played here. You'll never learn if you don't face your mistakes. Come on Infinitum, there are other ways to recover a failed start. Mercs, diplomacy and just living with the fact you'll have 7 provinces at the end of year 1 instead of 10. It's not like this is an highly competitive environment, I'm pretty sure you could manage some sort of arrangement with your neighbours to avoid a rush.
If there's one thing I learned about this damn game is that in Dominions the devil is in the details (And in the blood slaves. And in the death gems), good players manage to obtain maximum effect with optimal expenditure. The more you're forced out of your comfort zone, the more you'll learn, believe me!

...try it, it's free!

sqeecoo

Arcane
I agree, it sets a bad precedent to restart just because someone is crying because of a bad start or TOTALLY UNFAIRLY NOT GETTING A NATION SWITCH. But AI in the first three turns? Come on!

There's a lot of fun to be had in a game where you've been taken out of the running at the very start, and have the freedom to test shit and go for crazy diplomacy or strategy. Or even just turtle a bit on your few provinces and try to give whomever comes for you a good fight. Stay with us Infinitum! Quitting is for quitters!

As a sidenote, does anyone know how the dice roll function on the forum works, so I can do my promised yearly AI roll?

Infinitum

Scholar
My time isn't free. Yes, I -can- probably spend 2 turns building another expanison party, send my entire mage corp to banish away the undead and end up with a pittance of provinces by the end of year 1. But then what? I'd either lose instantly once the first war starts or be forced to sit on my hands until a backstab opportunity presents itself, watching everyone else snowball faster in the meantime. I already have a game trying to make up for a bad start, and I find very little enjoyance or learning opportunity from losing to overwhelming economic disadvantage alone.

Last edited:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Our time isn't free either. By going AI right from the start you'll also spoil the game for everyone else. But I suppose if you're so bent on being competitive and only agree to play when you have a chance at winnig (tip: you won't, not with this mindset) it's useless to try and persuade you.
Suit yourself.

Dayyālu

Arcane
The point stands, going AI on turn 2 because dead expansion party isn't that.... good. I chewed Muty for it and I'm gonna chew you, no offense intended.

No one is going to "snowball" too much in the meantime. If you play for optimization you gonna get insane in the lategame, trust me. Remember that I took LA Xibalba on a random roll, didn't even test the Pretender build, and went "whatever I'll have fun with bats and frogs and memes".

Don't go AI on turn 3. I won't rollback the game because I can't find a sub nowadays (no one replies) but it's poor etiquette. Some of the best games I've ever played were games when I got beaten and became a vassal of someone else, fighting the good fight for the victory of another player, and I had fun in the meantime.

Don't worry too much about perfect results by-guide, playing well is good but AI'ing at the first problem is detrimental to the game. Again, no offense intended. You are already quite the good player, from what I see from Dec22. Remember that the Codex community isn't SA, we're shitters. We play for fun.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Doesn't it hinge on one condition only? Do you play solely for the win, or is there something else?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom