Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenonauts shaping up nicely

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
They are looking for a 2011 release and if you preorder now, you get to take part in the alpha/beta-testing progress. Apparently so far you get to play with the geoscape and air combat only. I have a serious hardon for this puppy:

Achilles

Arcane
I've been following the development of the game closely and, from what I've seen so far, it's an extremely promising project. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that the game manages to at least come close to the X-Com experience.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I googled around their website a bit and didn't see any aliens or tactical combat images. Does this mean they're trying to keep it a secret until release, or that a 2011 release is very unlikely?

GhostHardware

Novice
I'd love to see X-Com remake done right but after all these failed attempts I'm kinda skeptical.

desocupado

Magister
Deakul said:
They've got some balls to actually want to sell this.

I gotta say I agree with this. The meat of the game, the combat, is not even there yet.

zeitgeist

Magister
# Soldier portrait system is functional. All 25 soldier portraits are now in the game (some of the images need more polishing but that's just a case of updating the images in the next month or two), but at present only 4 are being used. We'll switch on all 25 tomorrow, which means no more identikit soldiers!
Hmm, does this mean there's only 25 portraits and that's it? No randomized hair/facial hair skin color/etc? Or that there's 25 fully distinct faces and their features will be combined to create more variations?

DakaSha

Arcane
I dont want to sound like a douche but the screens do not really convey a sense quality/polish IMO
That could of course be due to it not being finished but why can you buy it then? That sounds fucking ridiculous

I guess I sound like a pessimistic douchebag but I'm telling you all: Don't get your hopes up ^^ it wouldnt be the first time this has been tried an failed

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Lord Chambers said:
I googled around their website a bit and didn't see any aliens or tactical combat images.
There's this screen :
alphascreenshot.jpg

DakaSha

Arcane
Alexandros said:
Deakul said:
They've got some balls to actually want to sell this.

Why the hell not? What's so bad about it?

Besides it only being a shell of a game that doesnt even contain the tactical aspect yet?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Huh. I'd never heard of this until the other day on these forums. I don't think I'll be slapping any money down yet, but it looks cool enough that I'll definitely be crossing my fingers.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hurrumph:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43145

All the reasons why one should keep an eye on this project are already said there.

You have to be some sort of a retard to not appreciate what they are doing here. (TL;DR - One guy is funding the entire project out of his own pocket, following strictly on what made the originals great and only improving where they were lacking (Psionics, for one).

Lord Chambers said:
I googled around their website a bit and didn't see any aliens or tactical combat images. Does this mean they're trying to keep it a secret until release, or that a 2011 release is very unlikely?

The ground combat is continuing to progress, as we've had a new coder working on it full-time for two months now and we've squashed a lot of bugs and finished implementing a number of features that were lagging behind schedule. As we've also finally found a good artist capable of drawing stylised fire / smoke / explosion / projectile sprites for us, we've been able to replace a lot of the placeholder animations, and the ground combat is looking much better than before. We still need a few more weeks on this before we can start to show off screenshots and videos, but it's not far out now.

Those with pre-orders get to see a bit more. Placeholder graphics and missing animations, so naturally they don't want the screenshots floating around yet. Most of the important stuff is there already, but there is a lot of work still left. And since the development is largely outsourced to different professionals, management is a bit difficult (i.e. if one freelancer goes missing before completing his assets...)

DakaSha said:
Besides it only being a shell of a game that doesnt even contain the tactical aspect yet?

Oh really? You sure know your shit :roll:

DakaSha

Arcane
Dont cry fanboy I admit to basing my knowledge off of the OP.. according to that you dont even get the tactical combat when you pay.

If thats true then its absolute bullshit no matter how you try to twist and turn it.
If it isnt true then I stand corrected.

Pics still look gay though

torpid

Liturgist
DakaSha said:
I dont want to sound like a douche but the screens do not really convey a sense quality/polish IMO

:retarded: First y'all bitched about that whatchamacallit Sorcery Underworld game, and granted, it was pretty ugly. But this? The first thing that comes to mind when seeing those screens is lack of polish? No wonder RPGs are dead.

DakaSha said:
That could of course be due to it not being finished but why can you buy it then? That sounds fucking ridiculous

I guess I sound like a pessimistic douchebag but I'm telling you all: Don't get your hopes up ^^ it wouldnt be the first time this has been tried an failed

It could turn out to be a ripoff but they look serious enough, and for the time being it's a decent way to raise money for the game's development, while providing a proof of concept for the future players. On the other hand, I admit that I won't put my money where my mouth is and test the theory.

DakaSha

Arcane
torpid said:
DakaSha said:

:retarded: First y'all bitched about that whatchamacallit Sorcery Underworld game, and granted, it was pretty ugly. But this? The first thing that comes to mind when seeing those screens is lack of polish? No wonder RPGs are dead.

dont give me the graphicswhore shit. I play fucking ADoM and Dominions.
I do not think the screens look good. Thats all there is to it. Its not a problem with the individual graphics but i think they look convoluted and unpolished.

That doesnt mean i wouldnt play it. But it doesnt look good imo

edit: I think my biggest gripe is with the way the graphics are put together.. it looks like a bad windows forms skin. The individual stiff looks decent

Destroid

Arcane
It really bugs me that they have a picture of a 20 round magazine M-16 but it says 30 rounds.

DakaSha

Arcane
Destroid said:
It really bugs me that they have a picture of a 20 round magazine M-16 but it says 30 rounds.

I keep thinking the machine gun on the vehicle is actually a anti tank thing.. but that could just be do to my lack of modern weaponry knowledge

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
DakaSha said:
according to that you dont even get the tactical combat when you pay.

If thats true then its absolute bullshit no matter how you try to twist and turn it.

Fuck mang, I didn't get to play Witcher 2 when I pre-ordered it. Absolute bullshit!

No seriously, take a moment to think how that shit works.

You pre-order the game and get the additional bonus of being able to test the unfinished game. If you don't like what you see then you can always cancel your order.

DakaSha

Arcane
Haba said:
DakaSha said:
according to that you dont even get the tactical combat when you pay.

Fuck mang, I didn't get to play Witcher 2 when I pre-ordered it. Absolute bullshit!

No seriously, take a moment to think how that shit works.

You pre-order the game and get the additional bonus of being able to test the unfinished game. If you don't like what you see then you can always cancel your order.

I understand but this isnt a big name with a finished game that just needs some polish and is so hyped by the media that it not being released after taking orders would mean a huge scandal. Its a indie company and game that (as far as i can tell) isnt even that close to being finished. If the game is never finished it would go by unnoticed. It's def nothing i would risk putting money down for.

But hey if it all goes well then good for him and the players i guess. Im not saying it wont. I just think it sounds ridiculous to ask for money now

Whats the point of the project? A fluffy clone? Do not really want. Not for 30 bucks anyway. Might try out of interest.

I dont see it doing anything! that Xcom doesn't do better except for altering the combat mechanics so that they are more balanced and they will still fuck it up. And there are mods for Xcom that attempt it too for free.

Achilles

Arcane
I'd love a clone of X-Com and the game seems to me like it's moving along very well. Seriously, I don't understand why people say it's unpolished, it seems fine to me. I understand DakaSha when he says that he needs to see the tactical combat first, but we really should cut these guys some slack. Making a proper, actually good X-Com clone is a monumental undertaking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom