Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts 2 - now available on Early Access

lightbane

Arcane
Yeah, what is it with x-com modders and live alien captures? Long War, FMP, X-piratez and now what the guy above described, they ALL make live alien capture a requirement for several key techs. The original game made no such restriction. It's almost like modders think your researchers need a quest compass to figure out alien tech and can't do that on their own.

In Piratez it makes sense at least, as your guys are literal morons that are rediscovering the wheel. For everything else: "MUH REALISM! YOU CANNOT LEARN ABOUT ALIEN TECH WITHOUT ASKING ALIENS HOW TO SHOOT THEIR GUNS!"

At least in Nu-XCOM 1 you could interrogate an alien, then dissect the body, something not always possible depending on the game.

geno

Savant
Playing X1, I just had my first encounter with a reaper. I was exploring indoors (snow biome) and instaraped my assault soldier. While I tried to demolish the build with my tank and trying to kill these fucker with my gunner, the rest of the squad ran away and tried to kill the nearest aliens. So I had a tank and like 3 or 4 injured soldiers left and a ship I never saw before. I tried to enter the ship, hoping the reapers won't leave the build. A pair of soldiers died while trying to enter the ship.
Good thing I'm not playing on Ironman. Can't wait for X2 beta.

Beastro

Arcane
Yeah, what is it with x-com modders and live alien captures? Long War, FMP, X-piratez and now what the guy above described, they ALL make live alien capture a requirement for several key techs. The original game made no such restriction. It's almost like modders think your researchers need a quest compass to figure out alien tech and can't do that on their own.

Imagine if a country with 1840-era technology managed to take down a modern nuclear-powered airplane. The occupant(s) have modern dragonskin armor and automatic firearms.

They could probably understand the occupant's firearms, tho - a modern pistol or rifle is just what they have, but one hundred years or so in the future.
They would understand what the dragonskin is, but not how to make one. The materials are entirely outside their technological level.

Understanding the basic principles of how the plane flies should't be too hard (its aerodynamics). The materials are foreign and far superior. The engine itself is different, but it works according to basic principles similar to steam power, but far more advanced (Nuclear Power is oddly similar to steam power).
Imagine a bunch of victorians trying to mess with the nuclear reactor and nuclear fuel. With things like Fuel Rods and Reactor Cooling. And stuff like Uranium and Plutonium. Then there's them trying to understand radioactivity... without any understanding of its dangers.

Then there's computers. Maybe Babbage could make some sense of it, but these people have no idea what the fuck is a microchip or a transistor. The concept of the computer already exists in embrionary form, but its components are entirely alien. About all they know is, like Cap America said "It runs on some sort of electricity!".

The problem with a nuclear reactor in the hands of Victorians is precisely what they know of steam power that doesn't apply to a reactor: To turn a steam engine off you vent the steam.

Do that and you're not only going to completely fuck the reactor and cause huge damage to it, but you've now flooded the area with radiation making anyone trying to stick around dead in not too long a time.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So, what, you have to bring mounted flashlights on guns otherwise you have a to-hit penalty on night missions? If you bring the flashlight it restores accuracy but also makes your guys easier to hit?

Yes. And compensate for this by making the enemies (at least 'tier 1' enemies) suffer penalties from being exposed to light, like being blinded, or suffer morale penalties.

Then add in a 'tier 2' enemy that attacks any and all sources of light in a berzerker rage, but delay their introduction while you have a chance to research night vision or something similar.

Shouldn't be hard to code.

Opens up tactical options.

Makes people shit-scared of the dark.

Win-win for everyone.

xmd1997

Educated
Surprised it will be released this year. If that is accurate.
It isn't...well kinda. During the Kickstarter, in response to a question(Me!), Chris said that the closed beta would begin sometime in November(for backers), I'm guessing that's what that date actually refers too.

ushas

Savant
There have been two kickstarter updates since, and looks xmd1997 got it right, the closed backer beta is coming next Wednesday (28th November).

Xenonauts-2 October Progress Update
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...gic-planetary-defence-simulator/posts/2320147
Xenonauts-2 October Progress Update
We've had a very busy month here at Goldhawk HQ, so this is going to be quite a long post! I'll be giving a general update on our progress but mostly I'll be talking about our plans for the beta.

In general I want to apologize for being relatively quiet here on Kickstarter and on our forums over the past four or five weeks - the harder we're working, the harder it is for me to find time to answer questions or write updates. And with the closed beta approaching we've been very busy indeed!

Closed Beta Release Date
Although I never announced it formally, my target date for the beta was always 7th November - but unfortunately we're not going to hit that date. Thankfully the delay won't be quite as bad as I initially feared, though, and we're now aiming for Wednesday 28th November (the alternative was the 9th January but we managed to avoid that).

We primarily want to test the game and fix problems during the closed beta, and we'll move into Early Access once the game is fairly stable and fun to play. This means you shouldn't expect the early beta builds to be a particularly enjoyable gameplay experience - that's the end goal of the beta, not the starting point!

The focus of the very first beta build is just going to be whether all the core systems are present and functioning correctly for everyone. It will contain the full strategy layer - the Geoscape, base building, interceptable UFOs flying around, air combat, fighting crash site missions, Research and Engineering projects, saving / loading, etc. However, we're going to limit the campaign to being about two weeks long (e.g. just the two smallest UFOs will spawn) - as I said, the purpose of this first build is testing!

The playable period will then be extended with each new beta build we release. The next build will likely bring in the Corvettes and Fighter UFOs, and the build after that might bring in the Terror Sites and Alien Base missions, etc. By the time the third or fourth build rolls out you should be able to properly play a good section of the campaign and we'll start polishing up the game balance.

This approach should make it easier for us to hit our Nov 28th target and also better align the community feedback we receive with our priorities - e.g. we need to check the foundations of the game are working properly before we start collecting feedback on anything else.

General Progress Update
So what have we been working on in the last month? We've added quite a few small features and new weapons (e.g. X-Com style Proximity Grenades have been added) but the two biggest things are the new inventory / item system and creating the first major batch of maps.

172717b12eb2964cd97a13cd9eb2ab7b_original.png

An unexported map layout in our Map Editor
I'll start with the maps. We've always had a few test maps for each type of mission in the game, but I recently say down and did our first large-scale test of the map editor by creating 30 crash site maps for the Probe / Scout UFOs across all six of the biomes that exist on the Geoscape.

The nicest thing about these maps is that they're built out of semi-randomised "blocks", so they support a much higher level of randomisation than the maps in Xenonauts 1 did. I'll write a longer post on how the map editor works at some point in the future, but for wilderness maps I think we could feasibly export at least 3 variants of each one and a player would have no idea that they shared a common layout.

eaabf0f4d6ca0c3e66ad7ab78b26ddd9_original.png

An exported map, ready to be added to the game!
In the example above, a "block" is a 16x16 map section that contains something like a set of cliffs or a building or an open area. If I were to export the map again, the editor would randomly pick one of several different possible map sections for each "block" - so the building "block" between the helicopter and the UFO would always contain some kind of building, but it could just as easily be a trailer park or a gas station instead of the house that was used in this export of the map.

Like everything else in the game, the maps and the map editor will need further work - but the basic systems are actually working pretty well and you guys should have a decent amount of map variety even in the first beta build.

Next up, the new inventory / item system. This is what allows soldiers to have a grid-based backpack and belt, and it also allows units to move the contents of their inventory around in battle and pick up items from the ground. Because items are extensively passed back and forth from strategy to ground combat and touch on every part of the game from the base stores and the UFO contents to unit inventories and the 3D models displayed in the combat, updating everything to the new system has been a LOT of work.

3fb8e0f962945fb81f6c1a5d67a5b90d_original.png

A rough but functional implementation of the ground combat soldier inventory!
This system is now largely functional - and it's pretty cool to be able to loot equipment from dead bodies or swap your equipment out on the inventory screen! There's a lot of usability issues, special-case items and UI work we still need to fix up before this system can be considered totally finished, but hopefully we'll be able to deal with some of the more obvious ones before the beta begins.

Finally, we've spent a lot of time ensuring that the core gameplay loop works as intended - i.e. you can shoot down UFOs or generate ground missions through other means, you fight those ground missions, then the results of that mission are carried back to the strategy layer.

Anything that blocks this gameplay loop is considered a critical bug and we had to spend more time fixing such issues than we were expecting (quite a few appeared as a result of the changes to the inventory / items system). There's also a whole class of bugs that work perfectly fine in the Unity Editor where we develop the game, but break as soon as you compile a build for general distribution - as you can imagine, those can be rather difficult to track down and fix!

I'm expecting to have the key features for the first beta build and the critical bugs fixed by the end of the week, which would give us a month to work on polishing the game before beta. Things are still going to be pretty rough by the time beta arrives, but hopefully we can get rid of the most obvious problems before it does.

That's it from me for this month - apologies for the delay but hopefully you can understand our logic. Expect another Kickstarter Update as Nov 28th approaches with specific details about how and when beta backers will be getting their keys!
Proximity grenades and higher level of randomization of maps :love:

Xenonauts-2 Pre-Beta Update

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...gic-planetary-defence-simulator/posts/2347768
Xenonauts-2 Pre-Beta Update
The closed beta for Xenonauts-2 is due on Wednesday 28th November, and I just wanted to put out an update to confirm that we're currently still on track to hit that date and briefly talk about the logistics.

If you're eligible for a closed beta key (anyone that backed at the £25 tier or above), then you should be receiving a Steam or GOG key via email on the 28th. We'll be sending the key to the email account associated with your Kickstarter account.

If you backed at the £18 tier then you'll be getting your key when the game releases into Early Access at the end of the closed beta, which we expect to run for three or four months.

I mentioned this in the previous update, but it's worth repeating a second time - if you're interested in a fun and playable experience, you should probably wait for the Early Access launch. The closed beta is going to have a lot of issues and rough edges, and we're deliberately cutting large amounts of content out of the first few builds so we can focus on testing whether the major game systems actually work properly for everybody.

If that doesn't bother you, great - in about a week we'll need you to tear our game to pieces, pointing out all the crashes and annoyances and missing features and problems you find. Then we can get to work releasing fixes for it!

OK, I think that's everything - hopefully the next thing you'll hear from us is an announcement on the 28th about the beta keys being sent out!

Mazisky

Magister
The map system they are using is the same of Nuxcom 2 but since this is not Firaxis there is no bias, so it will be praised here like it is the holy grail of systems never seen before.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The map system they are using is the same of Nuxcom 2 but since this is not Firaxis there is no bias, so it will be praised here like it is the holy grail of systems never seen before.
What do you mean, the fact that they're generating large maps with certain sections randomized?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't remember anyone shitting on map system of Xcom 2, only Xcom 1 got some flak (before expansion) because they had not enough maps and campaigns would start reusing same maps and any additional playthrough meant you always played on same maps with almost same enemy placements.

ushas

Savant
Yeah, well got impression it sounds like good news. Wasn't this something Xenonauts 1 was criticized for? (at least in comparison to the original x-com) I recall getting fatigued from repeating similar missions few years back. Want to start a new playthrough, think will add the Skitso's map pack right away.

ushas

Savant
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...gic-planetary-defence-simulator/posts/2356219
Xenonauts-2 Closed Beta Launched!
Today marks a big milestone for Xenonauts 2 - we are starting our Closed Beta period and allowing people to play the strategy layer for the first time!

If you've backed this Kickstarter at £25 or above, you should receive a Steam or GOG key from our partners at Humble today at around 11AM Pacific time. A few key things to know:

• Keys are being sent to the email address linked to your Kickstarter account
  • This key will give access to all future versions of X2, so you won't need a separate Early Access key etc
  • This is a test build more than it is a playable game - if you want a fun experience you should probably wait until Early Access!
  • Please do not stream the game, as it's not ready to show off yet and also not available for sale. You can stream it freely once we hit Early Access!
If you are not a £25+ Kickstarter backer, unfortunately you're going to need to wait until our Early Access launch in March 2019 to buy the game. We'd love to sell access to the beta, but sadly Steam / GOG tend to take a dim view of people selling private beta keys!

Closed Beta Build V1 details!
As I mentioned above, Beta Build V1 is primarily designed to test the core gameplay systems. We've stripped back the content and several of the new features to produce something very similar to the opening days of the first Xenonauts - the intention there being that most of you should be able to clearly see if something is broken or not!

These limitations include:

• You can only play for 7 days on the Geoscape, facing three waves of two UFOs each
  • The research / engineering projects are dummies, so there's no lore in this build
  • There are two UFO types in the game (both create crash sites though)
  • The Psyons are the only alien race
  • There's one map per biome per UFO, for a total of 12 maps
We'll be extending the playable time and adding the content back into the game in future builds. It's important we know the core game systems are solid before we start making the game too playable - it's annoying if a bug ruins your game after 10 minutes, but it'll be a lot worse if you've been playing for hours!

Beta Testing / Feedback!
We've written a longer post on our forums that explains the sort of things we're particularly looking to test, but the short version is just "try your best to break the build". The best place to report bugs is in that thread on our forums, but you can also send us bug reports using the Bug Reporter in the game using F11.

Please be aware that there's a lot of re-used art in the game from the first Xenonauts, and you should assume that this is placeholder and will be replaced before the game ships.

We've also not had any time to work on the game balance or improve the AI, so give us a few builds before commenting on that sort of stuff. The same goes for the new mechanics like the Air Combat or the new Base system that are still half-finished; we'll be asking your opinions about those once we've had a chance to finish them off.

Having spent quite a bit of time testing the game over the past few days, I'm fairly pleased with the progress we've made over the past six weeks. Despite the obvious rough edges and missing features, most things (mostly) work and it's already kinda fun to clear a map and storm a UFO. But yeah, still lots of work to do!

Thanks for reading, and hopefully we'll be hearing thoughts from some of you soon!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried the beta for about 30 minutes just to see how it looks.

Some differences I noticed from Xenonauts:
  • You only get one base. While you can build small outposts with radar and hangers. Your main base has the 2D cut out thing like from nuXcom. Looks like you have very limited space for building.
  • Strength stat seem to be removed. So now everyone can carry the same amount. Not sure why this was removed. Bad streamlining in my opinion.
  • The icons when equipping soldiers are very big. You have to scroll a lot to go through all the different kind of magazines (on 1080p at least).
  • To get to the soldier equip screen in the first place you have to go through the helicopter placement thingy. So you can't go to armory directly anymore it seems.
  • When you hire new soldiers there is only a picture and their last name, no information on what stats they have.
  • You can create "profitable goods" with your engineers which you can sell to make money apparently. It says it's placeholder. I don't know how I feel about this though.
  • Feels like everything is scaled down. Like the engineer and laboratory can only take 6 each. The sleeping quarters for soldiers only have room for 5, and now that you have less space building...
  • Combat feels okay, basically how it was on the GoG test thing. I do think that the aliens can take a little too much damage. They survive a 40mm grenade with ease. The removal for bonus accuracy for kneeling is just lame. If it was me I would add stuff instead, like going prone.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
  • You only get one base. While you can build small outposts with radar and hangers. Your main base has the 2D cut out thing like from nuXcom. Looks like you have very limited space for building.
  • Strength stat seem to be removed. So now everyone can carry the same amount. Not sure why this was removed. Bad streamlining in my opinion.
  • When you hire new soldiers there is only a picture and their last name, no information on what stats they have.
  • Feels like everything is scaled down. Like the engineer and laboratory can only take 6 each. The sleeping quarters for soldiers only have room for 5, and now that you have less space building...

Da Phuc

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Tried the beta for about 30 minutes just to see how it looks.

Some differences I noticed from Xenonauts:
  • The icons when equipping soldiers are very big. You have to scroll a lot to go through all the different kind of magazines (on 1080p at least).
  • To get to the soldier equip screen in the first place you have to go through the helicopter placement thingy. So you can't go to armory directly anymore it seems.
  • You can create "profitable goods" with your engineers which you can sell to make money apparently. It says it's placeholder. I don't know how I feel about this though.
  • Combat feels okay, basically how it was on the GoG test thing. I do think that the aliens can take a little too much damage. They survive a 40mm grenade with ease. The removal for bonus accuracy for kneeling is just lame. If it was me I would add stuff instead, like going prone.

Dead on arrival. :decline:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Strength stat seem to be removed.
You can create "profitable goods" with your engineers which you can sell to make money apparently.
The removal for bonus accuracy for kneeling is just lame.

The other stuff is only Questionable (tm) for the time being, but these things are just straight up stupid. Especially the approved and encouraged engineering of "profitable goods".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom