Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Xenonauts 2 now on Kickstarter

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The best XCOM experience is X-PirateZ.

Black

Arcane
9fab5549e9de772097488c3d94541582_original.png

Really!?
And they want my money?
Nope!
Fuck off.
> implying there ever was more to basebuilding in x-com than putting your main lift next to hangars to create an anti-base invasion killzone
Funny, since you started posting news you became yet another agent of Decline. Coincidence?

cruelio

Savant
How can you also forget the satellite bases that just have an airport and some missile batteries. Can't believe we're missing out on the world's deepest base building since checkers.

Mustawd

How can you also forget the satellite bases that just have an airport and some missile batteries. Can't believe we're missing out on the world's deepest base building since checkers.

Who ever said anything about deep? The coolest thing about base building in X-com was:

1. The ability to build your base anywhere and call it anything
2. The ability and need to build multiple bases so you'd have interceptor as well as radar capabilities around the globe
3. The ability to have base battles and see your base, built to your liking, get blown up and try to desperately defend it.

It was never super deep sim, but somehow it was still casualized to hell in XCOM's version. You didn't have multiple bases and instead just transferred ships to each country location. In addition, the XCOM satellites in each country gave away some of the strategic need of carefully picking your base locations (dat time in your first playthrough when your interceptors run out of fuel and lose sight of the UFO). This was further casualized witht he stupid 3 missions and pick only one retardedness of XCOM. Finally, you can build your base to your liking, but in XCOM you never got to have base battles for some reason I can't understand beyond the fact that they wanted to heavily script the game's story.

So yah, base building in x-com wasn't super deep, but it was fun in the sense that it gave you a lot more control than XCOM does.

EDIT: Also, the layout in base building in X-com was top down instead of to the side like the XCOM antfarm. What's the difference? Well in XCOM your slots are already pre-chosen. All you have to decide on is what goes in each slot. There's only a defined amount of slots in a very defined order. In x-com you had to be mindful of how all the parts fit together, much like a puzzle piece. Build in the wrong order and all of a sudden you're wasting space, and need to build a lift to another level unnecessarily. Yeh, it's not rocket surgery, but it's yet another thing that x-com required you to think about, and was not automatic.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't mind ant farm look and design of bases in Xeno 2, but I do mind it is only one such base, preplaced and it cannot be attacked by aliens.

This is pure new Xcom decline design.
They even plan to let you send agents per continent to influence stuff there (kind of like satellites in nuXcom).
And you will only be able to make interceptor bases in other parts of the world. Again nuXcom design.

Edit: geoscape was fine in Xeno 1, there was no need to overhaul it. They could have just added some new stuff (like technology paths) and focused on improving tactical battle options.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Who ever said anything about deep? The coolest thing about base building in X-com was:

Typical agent of decline apologism: durr but it wasnt that awesome to begin with that means it can be worse or even better removed completely also if the perfect way to play it was discovered it means the other ways shouldn't have been there in the first place

hpstg

Savant
The Long War 2 is so good. I always found the first Xenonauts to have pacing/repetitiveness issues, I hope they figure it out in this one. I don't get why they hold back on the base building, it's one of their most identifiable differentiating factors for newcomers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom