Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xcomutil 9.7 Beta Available

Tails

Arbiter
Yep, after long time the new developer Blade FireLight released a new version of X-Com Util. Here is Changelog:

* Major overhall of the installer (XcuSetup) and the inclusion of 16/32bit exe's to support both DOSBox and Windows Vista/7 x64.
* New subfolders added to hold supporting files making the install c leaner
* New XcuSetup options were added to XcuSetup allowing for silent install and uninstallation.
* New XcuSetup option for debugging the install (XcuSetup debug) creating debug.txt.
* XcuSetup now can have minimal impact on the game.
o All options default to NO.
o Almost all changes are now prompted for (skyranger guns, interceptor as transport, Disjointed Base Bug, etc...).
+ Items still done by default:
+ Copy protection questions set to 0000000 for UFO 1.0-1.3 and X-Com 1.0
+ Difficulty bug fixed in UFO 1.0-1.4 and X-Com 1.0-1.4
+ Unique names for all maps in TFTD, Used for Hybrid Games
* XCOMUTIL.CFG is now pieced together and overwritten by XcuSetup (see XcomUtil.txt for how to make permanent changes).
* All game files are restored to the pre-XcomUtil state each time XcuSetup is ran. Any modifications by other utilities will have to be re-applied.
* Recovery of MIA soldiers has been removed as it had a habit of resurrecting all KIA units to.
* Vista/Win7 patch now an option for XcuSetup.
o This will fix the blank screen issue.
o Updated to support the split EXE.
* XcuSetup attempts to fix UAC issues by resetting folder permissions.
* A number of community made fixes are included and selectable with XcuSetup.
* Support for the DOS/Window STEAM Install.
o Windows EXE, just run XcuSetup from windows
o to launch Dos version from Steam Run XcomUtil/SteamSetup.bat to activate menu then lauch from steam.
* Out of the box support for UFO Extender. XcuSetup will detect it and ask if you want RunXcom to use it.

Good reason to replay EU/TFTD again :) LP will follow soon.

Tails

Arbiter
Some screenshots from installation:
sdump000.png

sdump001.png

sdump002.png

dosbox000.png

Finally the setup is cleaned up. But is a bit unstable, setup itself crashed Dosbox about two times.

Big Nose George said:
Tails said:
LP will follow soon.

Pick up Garfunkel's dead TFTD massacre.
Oh I assure you that there will be massacre in EU with those settings I picked up :)

Is there any advantage to using this over x-com extender? Does it work on the windows versions of the games now?

spekkio

Arcane
-Do you want XcomUtil to attempt to fix TFTD Research Bugs?

This options attempts checks for an fixes issues in the TFTD Research after each combat. Research of MC Reader, Sub Construction and Aquaplastics are made available if they should be.

xbbm69.jpg

kyrub

Augur
Excellent, thanks!

Finally I can combine my favourite 'Research help from aliens' with Extender.

sheek

Arbiter
kyrub said:
Excellent, thanks!

Finally I can combine my favourite 'Research help from aliens' with Extender.
Um, research help from captured aliens was an XComUtil feature.

kyrub

Augur
sheek said:

Sure. But - if I get the new Xcomutil version notes right - the feature can now be combined with the powerful 'UFO extender' (fixes bugs + other options), which was impossible before.

kyrub said:
sheek said:

Sure. But - if I get the new Xcomutil version notes right - the feature can now be combined with the powerful 'UFO extender' (fixes bugs + other options), which was impossible before.

I _think_ it was possible before. The problem was the xcomutil itself was nearly useless on the windows version, half the stuff only worked for the dos version. I'm assuming that was changed. There were conflicts if you had both extender's and xcomutil's soldier autoequipping and reordering in the transports, but that was easily solved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom