Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

EDIT: PC Exclusive? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hahahahahaha

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Don't worry.

I'm sure the port will miraculously appear a month or so after release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't worry.

It might, but there's seemingly little incentive to do such a thing (you don't get cash bonuses from Valve or Intel or whoever for releasing on PC first, unlike with consoles)

Might be a Windows 10 thing, maybe.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't worry.

It might, but there's seemingly little incentive to do such a thing (you don't get cash bonuses from Intel for releasing on PC first, unlike with consoles)

Might be a Windows 10 thing, maybe.
Current list of features might be too much for consoles to handle, I suppose. Hell, Silent Storm can make pcs today choke on trying to calculate pathing after you blow something up.

Zeriel

Arcane
It sold really poorly on consoles.

But in an era in which even Larian is releasing hardcore PC games on consoles, who even knows why they've now decided to take their console-designed strategy game and make it pc exclusive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

But in an era in which even Larian is releasing hardcore PC games on consoles, who even knows why they've now decided to take their console-designed strategy game and make it pc exclusive.

For all we know, Larian and inXile might end up regretting what they're doing now. Maybe Swen and Brian are staring at their monitors now, wondering what Firaxis know that they don't. I guess we'll see!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
TUs are love. TUs are life.

Fixed that for you. A system where I can't move around a corner, shoot and move back into full cover is a bad system.

You mean to shoot from cover? You can do that in the new xcom. But i agree that TU was the better system, Long War mod kinda fixed it a bit for the new xcom though.

Nah, people can shoot back at you in cover. I mean be completely out of LOS, step out and shoot, then step back out of LOS

Zeriel

Arcane

For all we know, Larian and inXile might end up regretting what they're doing now. Maybe Swen and Brian are staring at their monitors now, wondering what Firaxis know that they don't. I guess we'll see!

Well, that's what I've been saying all along, but noooooo, we've gotta port to consoles!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Well, that's what I've been saying all along, but noooooo, we've gotta port to consoles!

Eh well, I'm still pretty sure that XCOM 2 will be ported eventually. Like maybe a year after release, which is exactly what WL2 and D:OS are doing. Still, it's got to come across as weird to them, especially to Brian who explicitly cited XCOM's success on consoles (I think the WL2 console UI might end up being a direct copy of XCOM's)

Zeriel

Arcane
At this rate Neogaffers will be abducting Jake Solomon's wife and torturing her if they don't, so I guess they're kind of obligated to.

bonescraper

XCOM sold poorly on consoles, it's a fact. 1 million on both platforms, while the PC version alone sold over 2 million. It's just not worth releasing it on consoles simply because of the marketing costs. And you don't really have to do a lot to sell this game on PC, put a few banners on Steam, and bam, another 2 million copies sold.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haven't read thread, too long. A few things.

Graphics and art is utter crap again, this is gonna be a budget indie-feel game mark my words.
PC exclusive? Lol. XCOM probably sold like 13 copies on consoles, as expected. Hopefuly they'll at least get rid of that retarded UI.
Procedural maps? Double edged sword. Great if done right. But I'd rather have 60+ hand crafted maps than procedurally generated shit.

I have to admit, I smiled when I saw the snakeman.

Still, time will tell if this game still has the stupid 4 man squads (I expect it will be 5 man squads due to 5 classes), no inventory management and 2-move system and fucking retarded pod activation.

It probably does, and will probably be not good.

Squad size? Mods will fix it. In Long War you can have up to 10 soldiers with the proper upgrades. Inventory management sucked in XCOM and infinite ammo is stupid but meh, not a huge deal for me.

And as for pod activation - dude, in a TB game with cover-based combat you gotta have pod activation or a similar mechanics. Otherwise the game would be retarded easy. And cover-based combat is clearly superior, hopefully they'll keep it.

Two point move system is utterly retarded ofc and I dearly fucking hope they'll get rid of it in this PC exclusive gaem.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have to admit, I smiled when I saw the snakeman.

Still, time will tell if this game still has the stupid 4 man squads (I expect it will be 5 man squads due to 5 classes), no inventory management and 2-move system and fucking retarded pod activation.

It probably does, and will probably be not good.

Squad size? Mods will fix it. In Long War you can have up to 10 soldiers with the proper upgrades. Inventory management sucked in XCOM but and infinite ammo is stupid but meh, not a huge deal for me.

And as for pod activation - dude, in a TB game with cover-based combat you gotta have pod activation or a similar mechanics. Otherwise the game would be retardedly easy. And cover-based combat is clearly superior, hopefully they'll keep it.
Small squad size makes sense in Xcom 2 as you are now hit and run guerrilla fighters.

And you don't need pod activation if proper AI is implemented where aliens move from cover to cover on their turns.

Thane Solus

Arcane
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

EDIT: PC Exclusive? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hahahahahaha

Wow that thread, and some people thought that Codex is bad...

3002301-exterminatus2.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Squad size? Mods will fix it. In Long War you can have up to 10 soldiers with the proper upgrades.

Inventory management sucked in XCOM and infinite ammo is stupid but meh, not a huge deal for me.

And as for pod activation - dude, in a TB game with cover-based combat you gotta have pod activation or a similar mechanics. Otherwise the game would be retarded easy. And cover-based combat is clearly superior, hopefully they'll keep it.
Mods will fix it is a herp derp reply. The devs are supposed to release a working game, not one that will need an entire rebalance by modders to be good.

I felt inventory management in xcom was really good aside from having to micromanage all the flares, which xenonauts thankfully fixed.

If you look at the picture I posted a few pages back(ffs it was like 2 posts beneath the one you quoted), you'll see clear signs of not having pod activations. And as was pointed about by a poster above me, if the ai takes cover on their moves in the fog of war, it is not needed.

AND the only reason it had to exist in firaxcom is because cover+2 actions. Can't have aliens sitting and overwatching because it'd be a complete massacre, unlike TU systems where it is easily handled.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mods will fix it is a herp derp reply. The devs are supposed to release a working game, not one that will need an entire rebalance by modders to be good.
And people are supposed to love their neighbours. World is an imperfect place. Plus having just 4 soldiers doesn't equal non-working game.

I felt inventory management in xcom was really good aside from having to micromanage all the flares

We're talking about XCOM, not UFO. Don't go all Kwa on me bro.

If you look at the picture I posted a few pages back(ffs it was like 2 posts beneath the one you quoted), you'll see clear signs of not having pod activations. And as was pointed about by a poster above me, if the ai takes cover on their moves in the fog of war, it is not needed.

Told you, didn't read thread. And it indeed seems pod activation might not be a thing in XCOM 2. It also clearly seems the AI is NOT taking cover on their moves either. If so, that'd mean two things. Either combat not gonna be cover based or it'll be stupid easy.

pippin

Do you guys think if XCOM2 is successful (which will be, considering how good the reboot did), it will help to change other devs' attitude about PC gaming?
XCOM got many ports, even for mobile, but I have a tiny spot of hope that this is going to bring some incline in this sense. However, Firaxis is kind of a weird animal these days, being able to profit with turn based games and etc. I'm actually interested to see what happens.

TripJack

Hedonist
Do you guys think if XCOM2 is successful (which will be, considering how good the reboot did), it will help to change other devs' attitude about PC gaming?
no, other devs that make strategy or tactics games already know that strategy and tactics games have no place on consoles

Stompa

Arcane

Speaking as a guy who bought XCOM hoping it would change other devs' attitudes about turn-based squad tactics games - no, it won't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom