Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Does Firaxis own Railroad Tycoon?

Will we get RRT4 on PC anytime soon?

Silva

Arcane
Actually I kinda like guerilla warfare thingy on paper. I hope Geoscape part will change mostly due to this. Attacking the least radar protected areas, deploying our own terror missions, stealing from warehouses (do aliens have warehouses ?!?), propaganda missions and etc.
This game can go places if they do it right. (they= modders )
So this is "Xcom 2: Jagged Alliance" ? Count me in.

pippin

I couldn't help but grin when I read that pc exclusive bit. I wonder if XCOM really sold better on pc.
Will probably buy when it's launched.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Random maps, so it fixes the biggest problems with nu-XCOM. Supposed looting and inventory management? Slowly getting there. I like the "aliens won, you want to topple them" guerilla concept.

Now if only they fix HP bloat (adding proper armour in its place) and add TUs, that would impress me.

Maybe after the dumbing down of Civ: Beyond Shit which sold like ass they came to their senses.

It does look a bit sterile, needs better lighting or something.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I couldn't help but grin when I read that pc exclusive bit. I wonder if XCOM really sold better on pc.
Will probably buy when it's launched.

They sure gave away a lot of copies as preorder promos. I remember I got XCOM & 2 other games free with my copy of Bioshock Inifinite. Pity that game turned out to be a turd, but I bought Enemy Within so good job 2K, I guess.

Zeriel

Arcane
Random maps, so it fixes the biggest problems with nu-XCOM. Supposed looting and inventory management? Slowly getting there. I like the "aliens won, you want to topple them" guerilla concept.

Now if only they fix HP bloat (adding proper armour in its place) and add TUs, that would impress me.

Maybe after the dumbing down of Civ: Beyond Shit which sold like ass they came to their senses.

It does look a bit sterile, needs better lighting or something.

HP bloat? New XCOM didn't have HP bloat, if anything the game got too easy towards the end. I can't even... what the fuck, m8.

Zeriel

Arcane
They're supposed to be like fighting a tank, though. That's not HP bloat. They're just tough. HP bloat would be if Sectopods appeared throughout the game, had 10 HP week 1, 20 HP week 4, and 80 HP week 20. Or if late-game sectoids had more HP than early-game sectoids. Neither is the case.

Ironically, the only thing that has HP bloat in XCOM is arguably the Long War mod, which dynamically scales enemy stats based on how long it has been since the game started.

Zeriel

Arcane
I think he meant soldier hp bloat, hence the armour comment right after it.

Oh okay, I'm not used to seeing people complain about HP bloat in the context of the player's power. It's usually a complaint about enemies.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
cwyeFPV.png

Anyway, I don't really care for NU-XCOM's special snowflake soldiers. Part of XCOMs appeal to me was that your rookies were expendable fodder. The latest firaxis offering kind of killed that feeling with lower numbers of troops and fatalities being much easier to avoid if you play smart. The only thing it reallt had going for it IMO was the multiplayer, which scratched an itch that had been around since Incubation became too bothersome to set up virtual LAN for.

I can sort-of dig a freedoom fighters vs the man taktikool strategy-lite. It just doesn't feel like an XCOM game to me anymore. I think firaxis would've been better served with coming up with a new IP for this.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
There is no HP bloat in Xcom, that extra HP just represents better armor. In UFO armor worked as damage resistance and in new Xcom it just gave bonus life. Without armor troops have very little life and die fast (in late game will die to one critical).

And if this is about how in Xcom high level soldier plus top armor could never get one shot, well that is about having small squads and nature of needing to heavily customize your troops and depending on their higher level skills.

In UFO your equipment was much more important than your troop levels so it was not a problem to lose high level troops in best gear to one shot from heavy plasma. Also running around with 14+ soldiers made many of them expendable while in Xcom that is not the case.

I would not even directly compare those two games as the design is very different. I enjoyed both games for what they were and each gave a different experience when playing.

bonescraper

People here still want a 1:1 remake (you got Xenonauts, are you not entertained?) and don't realize that this game is fundametally fucking different.

X-Com is still perfectly playable today, and it's way better than Xenonauts. So leave my FiraXCOM alone, in this case i prefer good alternatives to mediocre clones.

I can sort-of dig a freedoom fighters vs the man taktikool strategy-lite. It just doesn't feel like an XCOM game to me anymore. I think firaxis would've been better served with coming up with a new IP for this.
Cute. I always saw the X-Com games as "taktikool strategy-lite". When i want the real deal, i launch JA2 1.13, which is always on my SSD. Biatch :smug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
People still still want a 1:1 remake

They use the same name, so people expect it to be 1:1. If they are not making a 1:1 remake they should called it different, like UFO Defenders or some other shit.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
People still still want a 1:1 remake (you got Xenonauts, are you not entertained?) and don't realize that this game is fundametally fucking different.
Yup, when tactical battle mechanics are concerned it's mostly a 1:1 copy of games like Disgaea with :popamole: added as a most noticeable difference/innovation. Why would anyone want 1:1 of something else indeed.

bonescraper

Hell, i'd play some Disgaea, and FFT and Front Mission too, but i can't due to my chronic console aversion.

Anyway, you just got your 1:1 clone just recently, forgot already about it?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If they rebranded this to Firaxis Fantasy Tactics and gave everyone bright & cheerful weaboo designs I'd be fine with it. :smug:

Zeriel

Arcane
Well, they pissed off NeoGAFFE by announcing it as a PC exclusive, so at least something positive came out of it when the game inevitably turns out to be shallow crap.

Links.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055274

Enjoy, 90% of that 28 page thread is either port-begging, other people complaining about the port begging, or people justifying why the port-begging is fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom