Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Morgoth, May 26, 2015.

1. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I don't see how that would make it dull.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ludo Lense Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    I cannot into reading compression. Basically Space Satan was complaining about katana fetishists cutting stuff on youtube to prove how it is the bestest sword ever (no such thing) and I thought your "they are sharp" post was about how they can indeed cut a lot of stuff because they are super sharp. I wanted to note that actually they can't really cut that much stuff on the battlefield, they are meant to be used against naked flesh, so due to their light weight it doesn't really matter how sharp they are. I dun goofed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Leaked picture of xcom 2 mutton
    [​IMG]
    Looks way better than the firaxcom mutton at least.

That chainsaw on the plasma weapon though.

^ Top  
  4. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Parrots:
    Source? That looks pretty goofy.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    Parrots:
    It isn't chainsaw... It looks more like weird kind of bayonet.

^ Top  
  6. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    Firaxis.

^ Top  
  7. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    I thought it was universally agreed upon that nu-XCom's art direction was kinda awful.

^ Top  
  8. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    I don't have a problem with the environment's art direction (futuristic super clean fascism thing is alright IMO), but yeah that's a little overly cartoony.

Hopefully not the finished product.

^ Top  
  9. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Parrots:
    I didn't mind it.
    Except for the male soldier models. Way too bulky, especially if you compare them to the female models.
    The EU Muton looked better than this one though. It looks like a retarded krogan.

Found a full body image.

[​IMG]

Proportions are awful.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Gozma Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Gozma
    Parrots:
    Looks like they wanted to debulk it so it could use generic human animations

^ Top  
  11. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    Looks like a skinsuit. Now I want to see what it looks like from the back (dat ass etc.).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    ^ Top  
  12. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Parrots:
    Purple headed soldier indeed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Looks to me like flat out unnecessary spikes because evil.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Don't worry it's a finished product. I did a quite a lot of stuff as game developer. We are doing stuff like this. If you wanna proof look at Stardock and Legendary Heroes.

Quality game developer doesn't equal he will not make something retarded, quality game developer makes other stuff so well fitting and playable and shows so much creativity so players tend to ignore that retarded stuff.

Now the question is, would there be a playable game behind it? Or would Firaxis continue it's rampage of simplification and trying to make things too conventional?

^ Top  
  15. Inspectah Learned

Inspectah
    Parrots:
    I miss TFtD's enemy designs. That mutton kinda looks like tazz from ECW fame, muscular torso and little girl legs

^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Inspectah Learned

Inspectah
    Parrots:
    They talking about EU? How the fuck do you loose in that game?

^ Top  
  18. Ludo Lense Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Can' t wait for XCOM 2 Long War:M

^ Top  
  19. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I got creamed my first playthrough. Classic, Ironman, didn't know how the game worked at all. Cheating Thin Men one-shotted half my guys in phase 2. By the time I got to landing ships with Floaters and Mutons, I was still fielding rookies. I didn't keep playing to the game over screen with all countries pulling funding, but I think quitting at that point counts as legit lost.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Inspectah Learned

Inspectah
    Parrots:
    Fair enough.
    I said that because in my first playthrough I won on classic ironman and only lost about 6 or 7 dudes, since making overwatch traps was so easy

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's actually pretty easy to lose if you play it the way its "intended". But its a very degenerate game, because when you realize it all revolves around pod activation, you realize how the game should *actually* be played.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Well it will be better when they would use air combat, starting resources, and resource cost of classic, but they kept tactical combat at normal difficulty, with exception of more moving alien groups.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    ^ Top  
  23. Harg Harfardarssen Cipher Patron

Harg Harfardarssen
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Yeah, it's kind of hilarious how counterproductive the tutorial is. Compared to disabling and playing a normal first mission, the tutorial both guarantees you will play in the least effective manner and guarantees you will have the lowest possible number of squaddie troops for the second mission (since if all four die, the mission just restarts). It's kind of a tour de force in player sabotage.

^ Top  
  24. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:
    My enthusiasm for this game continues to cool with almost every new thing that gets released. I like it less and less with every video and every screenshot.

First, they released that the story from EU and EW didn't matter. XCOM apparently failed a couple of months in. That sucks a ton right there - but I can almost get past that.

Second, the gameplay/trailer with the sword man. Yes, because rather than drawing a sidearm, using a sword is superior...

Then they show MORE footage of gameplay with ...what do I call them now? XCOM Insurgents? How edgy. Anyway, they are sneaking in, risking their lives, to blow up a statue. Yeah, cause that's what wins wars, blowing up statues.

Next they show enemy reinforcements. Before, enemies just got a free move when they were uncovered. Now, they just drop in enemies into flanking positions or within melee range of your troops. Sure, sure, sure, this was probably tightly scripted for dramatic effect, but the mechanic we'll see in play could be even more random.

Did you see how far that snake man yanked that XCOM Jihadist out of cover? It looked like 10 squares. Then the snake man proceeded to crush him out in the open.

Good news, your teammate dies and you want to keep that gear? Better be prepared to carry his ass off the field! Realistic? I guess, but it sure isn't going to be fun.

The Muton looks dumb. Giant head, tiny feet!

For all you who believe in your hearts that they will iron everything out before shipping... remember Beyond Earth.

Maybe I've been hanging around here with you guys too long and I'm getting jaded... but I'm not pre-ordering this game.

Oh, on a related note, I went to go player XCOM:EW again, Ironman style, to soothe my butthurt over what I've seen of XCOM 2.

I got my initial Assault, Sniper, Heavy, and Support from my first mission...

Then I never got a Sniper or Assault again...

I trained 15 more rookies and I got 12 heavies and 3 supports. My assault and sniper were long dead. Do you know how terrible it is to play a Terror mission with 4 heavies and 2 support?

WHY IS THIS EVEN A MECHANIC?!
    "Congratulations Rookie, you've been promoted! Time to spend the JOB WHEEL!"
    "Hey Commander, we really need a snipe-"
    "WE ALWAYS SPIN THE WHEEL!"

Did you know they tweaked the accuracy of Rocket Launchers so that they could go dramatically awry? They can, oh man, can they ever.

screw this game...maybe I'll go player the original... or Xenonauts.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  25. Tytus Arcane

Tytus
    Parrots:
    For someone who works at Obsidian I expected you to be more educated. Blowing up statues during an occupation especially in the middle of the celebration of occupant's power and the "stability" that he has brought is essential to showing the general populace the in fact that things are not under control and succesful strikes can be delivered against the occupant. Armia Krajowa during German occupation of Poland did exactly that (also other operations like gasing people who went to a german sponsored cinema that spewed propaganda) to show Polish people that Germans can be hurt, that the resistance movement is present and that the occupant grip isn't as strong as he claims to be. People risked their lifes in Warsaw just to remove a metal slab that the Germans put which was saying the Copernicus wasn't Polish but was a German. This later built Polish morale and culminated in Warsaw Uprising. So blowing up a statue that symbolizes the Alien Power in XCOM2 makes perfect sense.

tl;dr - educate yourself shitlord.

I agree on other points though.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)