Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Unwanted

2menLeefs

Unwanted
Those OST homages are pretty nice.

Does anyone know if Long War 2 can fuck you midgame like 1 could?
Like, I was playing LW1 2-stage mission with the the person recovery and took the first stage, the graveyard, pretty easy by camping it out. But the second stage is a fucking Mothership with zerkers up the ass and I literally cant finish that mission no way no how. Dropped LW1 back then.

Thane Solus

Arcane

Like, I was playing LW1 2-stage mission with the the person recovery and took the first stage, the graveyard, pretty easy by camping it out. But the second stage is a fucking Mothership with zerkers up the ass and I literally cant finish that mission no way no how. Dropped LW1 back then.

https://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/686?tab=description

Most of the people never finished LW 1.0, due to stupid enemy placing and numbers and dragging the campaign too much. Half of the features were quite good and Xcom 2 toke some, the rest of tweaking was completely retarded. That is more clearly on Xcom 2 LW, which is failure, a retarded mix of tweaks, with some good ideas.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Lw2 becomes hardest in midgame, especially if you are new and you are lagging behind aliens in tech. How you handle that also decides on how hard is endgame going to be.
But overall I thing LW2 is better balanced and designed.

geno

Savant

You are not supposed to win all the missions, evacuation is fine. You can also try LW Rebalance, wich has its own gimmicks besides some tweaks

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I got fucked hard by the Better Advent mod. In one Chosen Stronghold the RNG spawned Muton Prime and Archon Prime in the second turn, adding to a Spectre Prime spawned in the first. In the third the Warlock returned and summoned a couple of priests.

Bye bye my best squad, gear, panic level and everything I hold dear. :shudder:

Unwanted

2menLeefs

Unwanted
You are not supposed to win all the missions, evacuation is fine.
You cannot evac from the second stage on the ship.
I was ironman and basically best squad was a goner, incl game. Its an optional mission though.

bataille

Arcane
Dang, the game is pretty good. I've been playing my very first campaign for a week, and so far it's been super absorbing to the point of me playing a whole night. I decided to go with veteran ironman for starters, and it feels like the sweet point. It was pretty hard and stressful in the beginning, but then I made the predator armor, and it became a much smoother sail. Lost only three people, too: one during the first month and then my two strongest peeps to a single viper spit (yeah, who would have thought that they can to that).

I have just defeated the first chosen (the assassin), and it was one of the more memorable missions. The rewards were pretty insane as well.

On one hand, it's kinda sad that the game has become a bit too easy, but on the other, the higher difficulties probably wouldn't have given me chances to recover from some rookie mistakes like attacking a muton in melee, accidentally triggering an enemy group with the last soldier, or various other close calls due to some unknown factors.

Today's highlight was the first battle with a codex. On its first or second turn it used a big psionic explosion and died from three consecutive psi feedbacks from a faction bonus. Someone's told me they can split upon taking damage... I wonder if I'll ever see this.

Oh, and I almost lost the game due to the doom clock, but it turned out that it's one big trick and there's another timer after that. 22 days to sabotage the avatar project, eh...

Wait, it's not my blog! Wild!

bataille

Arcane
You know what? Nevermind, I've just almost got wiped out by the sudden archon king and his two regular archon buddies. I'm not sure why there's such a strange difficulty discrepancy: before attempting the blacksite I had killed the warlock without losing one hitpoint. And then bam, the king bombards four soldiers on my own turn, putting my major in the near-death, bleeding out state... had I not had an acid grenade (it damages the king after its every additional action), I wouldn't have gotten out of there with mere 5 wounded, a lost continent, and the doom clock urging me to do something about it in 20 days.

I don't think I'm recovering from this one. :cry:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, the alien rulers are bullshit, especially the king. That devastate ability isn't really that well thought out, as it could still activate after any number of soldier moves rather than 1 turn. I think the only way to deal with it is to keep everyone spread out wide.

When fighting rulers, stack up on as many free-action abilities, DoTs and stuns as you can.
Frost bomb, stasis, fire and poison are all effective against them, as fire disables special abilities, frost and stasis gives you a bit of breathing room and poison restricts their mobility. Acid is sort of effective in that it breaks the AI into not moving, as the AI really doesn't want to move through the puddles of acid.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Consider also that the randomness of the map\enemies\mission\sitreps can increase the difficulty aswell by providing random hard combos to manage (for example a Ruler on timed missions).

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Rulers in War of the Chosen are actually fairer in Vanilla; they don't respond to units outside of their field of view, and they don't respond to reloading, and they only really becoming active after you encounter them on a facility mission. There's even a Resistance Order that increases the time limit for missions, so you have more time to deal with them.

eXalted

Arcane
Today's highlight was the first battle with a codex. On its first or second turn it used a big psionic explosion and died from three consecutive psi feedbacks from a faction bonus. Someone's told me they can split upon taking damage... I wonder if I'll ever see this.
Completely viable and sweet strategy. When you have psi feedback, you just stop worrying about those bastards.

Always keep soldiers close when encountering one -> Psionic Rift -> Codex ded.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder if Firaxis is making a turn-based isometric RPG, looking at how Divinity is doing: https://www.linkedin.com/in/drewmcgee/

Firaxis Games: Unannounced Project (2018)
- Creating quests and dialogue for playable characters within the bounds of 2 major IPs
- Working with Lead Designers on restructuring flow of main game
- Writing scripts in Final Draft; writing barks in Unreal 4 Engine

Falksi

Arcane
Consider also that the randomness of the map\enemies\mission\sitreps can increase the difficulty aswell by providing random hard combos to manage (for example a Ruler on timed missions).

Yup.

For all the new stuff & gimmicks, all the game ultimately boils down to is making sure you set off pods 1 at a time as early as possible in your turn phase. Activate pod with first 2 squad members? Win round. Next 2 squad members? 50/50. Last 2 squad members? Prepare for butthurt.

It's a crying shame that a game that does so much right fails to address this basic issue which pretty much ruins the whole experience.

eXalted

Arcane
Can't believe how stable this game is actually. Running this modlist:
4lWcE2S.png
30+ hours in, not a single freeze or crash.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wonder if Firaxis is making a turn-based isometric RPG, looking at how Divinity is doing: https://www.linkedin.com/in/drewmcgee/

Firaxis Games: Unannounced Project (2018)
- Creating quests and dialogue for playable characters within the bounds of 2 major IPs
- Working with Lead Designers on restructuring flow of main game
- Writing scripts in Final Draft; writing barks in Unreal 4 Engine

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kittyhughes/

Level Designer
Company Name Firaxis Games
Dates Employed Feb 2018 – Mar 2018
Employment Duration 2 mos
Location Sparks Glencoe, Maryland

Created levels in the form of dungeons, gameplay mechanics, and iterated on existing assets to make new, fun, playable adventures for an unannounced title.

"dungeons"

thinking.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom