Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Rodcocker

Arbiter
I was actually holding off a second playthrough for this DLC... oh well.

Weird that it is seems so scatter shot. Maybe it was just a downtime project for some developers before they got involved in a larger project? Or maybe Firaxis management is hitting the wall. They have been slipping with Civ after all...

Mazisky

Magister
This DLC is probably the "goodbye" to Xcom 2 and that Unreal engine 3 mess.

They are already working on Xcom 3 on Unreal engine 4, with plenty of Job offering (on Firaxis) requiring experience in it.

So i think we will wait at least 2 more years to see new content or possibly the X3 annonuce.

I am pretty desperate because Wotc is my favourite modern game, at least they said in the stream that X3 will come.

Tbh i don't even know if the franchise is healthy production wise, it's a niche and pretty expensive (to make) compared to others indie turnbased.

Looking forward to the freebie. Xcom 2 (With WotC, but even without) is really damn solid and more goodies are nice. I probably won't fire up a full campaign but I'll probably do the 4 7-mission story things for shits and giggles just to unlock the extra cosmetics so they're available next time I DO play a campaign. Not to mention the Xcom EU story missions are alright as a one-and-done, and thankfully in this they're a separate game mode rather than something that shows up in every campaign. So tearing through them once is enjoyable enough. Soundtrack options should be nice too, enjoyed the Xcom EU soundtrack more anyway and the UFO Defense-inspired soundtrack should be a hoot. Only a shame that Xcom 2 doesn't have interceptors, we may not get the interceptor music.

Mazisky

Magister
Looking forward to the freebie. Xcom 2 (With WotC, but even without) is really damn solid and more goodies are nice. I probably won't fire up a full campaign but I'll probably do the 4 7-mission story things for shits and giggles just to unlock the extra cosmetics so they're available next time I DO play a campaign. Not to mention the Xcom EU story missions are alright as a one-and-done, and thankfully in this they're a separate game mode rather than something that shows up in every campaign. So tearing through them once is enjoyable enough. Soundtrack options should be nice too, enjoyed the Xcom EU soundtrack more anyway and the UFO Defense-inspired soundtrack should be a hoot. Only a shame that Xcom 2 doesn't have interceptors, we may not get the interceptor music.

There is the interceptor music, i've heard it on stream, now it's the "victory" music. Pretty cool

i am pretty sure because ufo defense ost is my favourite of all times so i can spot it instantly.

Also, i've heard Geoscape 1 and 3 music (u can hear those in the short video i posted before)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Free for WotC owners, new maps, new customization options, new score.
Not even Codexers should honestly find something to complain here.

I do worry about what will happen with mods though.
When you expect a banquet but get a lemon it is disappointing, even if it is a free lemon.

Mazisky

Magister

̶W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶q̶u̶e̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶e̶m̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶p̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶m̶o̶n̶.

When you expect no matter what because whatever stuff you'll complain anyway, it is disappointing

ArchAngel

Arcane

̶W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶q̶u̶e̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶e̶m̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶p̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶i̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶m̶o̶n̶.

When you expect no matter what because whatever stuff you'll complain anyway, it is disappointing
You should replace that image in your Avatar from UFO to yourself kissing Jake Solomon's ass.

Mazisky

Magister

You should replace that image in your Avatar from UFO to yourself kissing Jake Solomon's ass.

Why? Ufo defense is my favourite game of all times. This doesn't mean that i need to shit blindy on everything only to win the edgelord of doom price.

I am not 15 years old anymore.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why? Ufo defense is my favourite game of all times. This doesn't mean that i need to shit blindy on everything only to win the edgelord of doom price.

I am not 15 years old anymore.
The original ones still plays well with openxcom indeed and have a lot of mods. The only one that could significantly be improved would be apocalypse, but it is also the one that the furthest away from nuxcom.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Finally finished the game. Dunno what's worse: The DBZ-style psionic battle, the slapped together faction outros or the "NOW THE REAL BATTLE BEGINS" shit.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Tactical Legacy Pack is out now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/593380/XCOM_2_War_of_the_Chosen__Tactical_Legacy_Pack/

NEW GAMEPLAY MODES:

Legacy Ops – Command a squad of soldiers through a series of linked consecutive tactical missions:

- Central’s Archives – Central Officer Bradford, and other key members of XCOM, recount the pivotal operations that led to the rise of the resistance between the events of XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2:

- Blast from the Past – After the fall of XCOM HQ, Central Officer Bradford begins his journey to build the resistance by returning to where it all began.

- It Came from the Sea – The broadcast of a fledgling radio DJ is reaching an audience he didn’t intend. It’s up to Central to save the DJ from an endless horde of hungry listeners.

- Avenger Assemble – Join Lily Shen as she works to retrofit the Avenger into a new home for the growing forces of a reinvigorated XCOM.

- The Lazarus Project – ADVENT is kidnapping key members of the resistance, and it’s up to Central to rescue some of XCOM's most renowned operatives.

Resistance Archives - Engage enemy forces in series of tactical missions increasing in difficulty.

Skirmish Mode – Create and play your own custom XCOM tactical missions using the included editor that allows you to modify various settings (map, squad loadouts, objective, enemies, and more.)
  • NEW MAPS: Engage in battle across 28 new maps including remastered maps and scenes from XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within. These new maps will be featured in Central’s Archives.

• NEW WEAPONS AND ARMOR: Equip your soldiers with reimagined versions of the conventional, laser, and plasma weapons, as well as Kevlar, Carapace, and Titan armor from XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Complete Central’s Archives to unlock these new additions for use in the main single player campaign.

• NEW CUSTOMIZATION AND PHOTOBOOTH OPTIONS: Customize your soldiers with new attitudes and helmets. Create new images in the Photobooth with additional backgrounds, colors, and character poses.

• NEW SOUNDTRACK OPTIONS: With the new Soundtrack Selector you can choose to play the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen campaign with the existing score, the score from XCOM: Enemy Unknown, or an all-new soundtrack inspired by the music from the original X-COM: UFO Defense.

• OFFLINE CHALLENGE MODE: Play through all 100+ War of the Chosen challenges as often as you want.

Dicked with it a little bit and a combination of nightmare being difficult and me being out of Xcom 2-shape means I was getting my ass handed to me in the very first mission. Those enemy pods are pretty rough when you've got a shitty 4 man squad without even laser weapons or armor. Also turned on the UFO Defense soundtrack and was enjoying it thus far, especially the mission failure song.

How much is the legacy pack by itself though?
I think they said it's gonna be $8 or something. But it'll be included in the Xcom 2 collection pack without raising the price of it.

I mean, can I like, not activate it for now?
Yes. Tick the checkmark next to it here in Steam. Make sure you aren't disabling WotC (Since this is called WotC Tactical Legacy Pack and you can't read it there) by right clicking Xcom 2 in Steam, properties, DLC tab, then unticking the checkmark on the DLC in there instead. That'll delete/not download the DLC and run as though the game doesn't have it while it remains on your Steam account so you can activate it again at your leisure.
etUJVfR.jpg

Modron

Arcane
Yes. Tick the checkmark next to it here in Steam. Make sure you aren't disabling WotC (Since this is called WotC Tactical Legacy Pack and you can't read it there) by right clicking Xcom 2 in Steam, properties, DLC tab, then unticking the checkmark on the DLC in there instead. That'll delete/not download the DLC and run as though the game doesn't have it while it remains on your Steam account so you can activate it again at your leisure.
Just in case you didn't know, you can adjust the size of those columns through the standard click and dragging of the dividers in the title row.

Just in case you didn't know, you can adjust the size of those columns through the standard click and dragging of the dividers in the title row.
I'll be damned, I didn't! I don't typically dick with that since I've only wanted to disable DLC once or twice before. Thanks bro!

cruelio

Savant
the "challenge" mode is just a bunch of fuckign story missions dressed up like its a challenge thing
the worst shit of xcom 1
no time limits or anything, just walk up and hit overwatch
do the mission once so you know it's going to suddenly escalate by throwing a muton at you, when you restart you'll know he's there and where he's is
this is their idea of a "challenge" mode
they've learned nothing

don't believe me btw? here's the hot gaming journalism take:

XCOM DLC is proof that Firaxis wants more storytelling in future games

To be fair the "Challenge mode" was originally done as a "You get one attempt at this and if that muton catches you with your pants down sorry bro" thing. It's just that they bundled them up in the freebie DLC so people could play them whenever they want, even though they sorta lose their intended impact when you can just grind through them.

The story content/minicampaigns are more sizable than I really anticipated. 4 of them and each is 7 missions long, nearing the end of the first one with about 3 hours played. It's actually kind of a drag because if I did just want the unlocks so I'd have more cosmetics and map pieces and shit for a regular campaign I'd have to play 10-12 hours of these to do it barring cheats/unlockers which I assume are either already floating around or will be soon. I also find myself getting worn out on it faster than playing a regular Xcom 2 campaign, probably because it's mission after mission rather than getting the breathers on the strategy layer with the geoscape. Game journos and even Firaxis should be put up against the wall and shot if they really do intend for more story focus. Xcom 2's slight move away from it compared to Xcom EU was an improvement and I will still say Xcom 2 is the best game in the X-com/Xcom series.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I likes nu-XCOM and nu2 even more, but their biggest flaws are everything storytelling related. They hamper replayability and fuck up the underlying systems with long, boring, linear missions and fixed results.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I gave it a try and damn the game is boring without the strategy layer and playing dress-up. What makes the mission even more boring is that you play on maps you have already played 5000 times before if you ever played Long War for the first nuXcom. Like Multi-headed Cow I also want the extra stuff for a new campaign playthrough, but I just can't make it through this.

Anyway, I understand now why they couldn't sell this.

mastroego

Arcane
By the way, I finally finished my modded game and had fun with it.
Sooner or later I will play again it at a higher difficulty (I did play with ABA already though).
Obviously I was steamrolling things a little by the end.

All in all, very fun game, lots of stuff to do with some craziness into the mix.
Still, XCom 1 with Long War is the superior title imho.

I'm tempted to play that again.... if ONLY there were more MAPS for it!
Does anyone have a decent game to suggest, before I go that route? I really did play LW1 a lot.

Arthandas

Prophet
I'm tired of this game's bullshit, it's fundamentally broken. The whole pod idea is retarded:
-you can't move in battle because you activate more pods
-if you activate a pod on your last move you're fucked
-sometimes you'll activate 2-3 pods in a single blue move because fuck you
-yolo reinforcements in middle of your squad or right after you complete an objective and have no more moves left to prepare

Everything in this game boils down to not activating more than 1 pod - that's the whole fucking tactical layer.
Does anyone have a decent game to suggest, before I go that route? I really did play LW1 a lot.
I'm looking for something too, xcom 2 is on the verge of giving me cancer...
Other games that scratched that tactical itch were AoW 3, Darkest Dungeon and Mordheim but I want something new now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom