Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Morgoth, May 26, 2015.

1. Maziskygender: ⚧ Savant

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I know better blame 2k cause complaining rich producers is the favourite job of nerds in random forums, but:

1-2k is the only triple A producer who is investing in high budget turn based games

2-2k restored one of the best and forgotten franchise while others just do the opposite (see Ea)

3-2k gave huge support to modding by giving tools

4-2k helped Pavonis opening them the gates of videogames industry and financed a huge free mod

Said that, i am happy that those guys now can put all efforts on their own game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again mastroegogender: ⚧ Arcane

mastroego
    Parrots:
    Fuck, I bought XCOM 2 for this.
    I got assfucked.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It is depressing to think about what they could have turned WOTC into :negative:

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    The sad part is that the game they are making has nothing to do with X-COM. There is no tactical combat or anything like that, it will be like a grand strategy Paradox title apparently.
    Now as far as WOTC and LW2 go, WOTC already has a lot of stuff to do, there is no reason for additional layers of complexity imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Well if you didn't buy WotC you can still play LW2. It is superior to WotC anyways.
    If you did buy WotC you can choose to install Xcom 2 without it and mod it with LW2.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again mastroegogender: ⚧ Arcane

mastroego
    Parrots:
    I didn't buy WotC. But I was waiting for a final iteration of LW2 with it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    To me LW2 wasn't so much about "additional layers of complexity" but a different philosophy towards the game, a more simulationist approach to design. That is why Pavonis fundamentally changed the pod mechanics so pods would cooperate across the map to flank you and do all sorts of cool stuff, so players wouldn't get stuck in the vanilla don't reveal another pod mentality. They completely erased the gamey LOP mechanic that made enemies know exactly where you are at all times, so stealth play became possible and sometimes desirable because of the infiltration mechanic. They almost eliminated kill-based XP for mission XP, so players wouldn't do silly vanilla things like farm reinforcements (now in WOTC players farm lost for hours instead). And there was a major focus on game balance, so all the new things fit in properly - WOTC is anything but balanced, as anyone who plays with the faction classes well knows.

Can some other modders reintroduce these things? Sure, maybe. But it would be major surgery, not a bandaid mod.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Mhm, yeah, that is the intention. However simultaneously they DO add layers of complexity which are also not documented. LW2 was pretty frustrating in that aspect. And I mean mainly the parts outside combat.
    I didn't play a lot to be honest though, since for me LWs take too much time that I usually don't have.

In any case I find WotC to have already a lot of mechanics to juggle and I'm pretty sure the LW guys would add to them and I wouldn't like that - again. I would love some of the combat improvements you mention though

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    I just tried this a bit and GOOD LORD there is a lot of fucking talking in this game. Just shut the hell up and let me get on with things, ugh.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Freddiegender: ⚧ Learned

Freddie
    Parrots:
    IIRC You can skip most of the conversations by pressing esc.

^ Top  
  11. dukeofwhalesgender: ⚧ Savant

dukeofwhales
    Parrots:
    it also calms right down after the early stages. but super annoying if you're trying to play a difficulty above your skill level necessitating restarts

^ Top  
  12. Galdredgender: ⚧ Generalist Patron

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You should also install the following mods:
    - Hush little chosen (if you play with War of the Chosen), to cut down on their banter
    - Stop Wasting my time (it has a lot of other benefits)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Thanks for those suggestions. The constant "hey commander, you should do this, you should do that" as well as the constant chattering from the chosen is really hurting the experience. It's like... shut the fuck up, I'm trying to concentrate. Bad, bad design decisions, especially since the writing suuuuucks.

^ Top  
  14. Grotesquegender: ⚧ Arcane

Grotesque
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    This is what it means failure as a parent.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Zep Zepogender: ⚧ Titties and Beer Patron Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    FIXT.

Zep--

^ Top  
  16. KevinV12000gender: ⚧ Arcane

KevinV12000
    Parrots:
    I'm enjoying the expansion a lot, even with the banter, but good lord in heaven what is up with the camera and zoom? The zoom level is bobbing and weaving more than me after my 13th pint.

Is there any way at all to impose a single zoom level on this game? I've searched for mods, and don't see anything that sets the zoom level to stick.

^ Top  
  17. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    I don't think so. Maybe mess with "free camera" mod ini settings?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)