Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

mastroego

Arcane
I just bought WotC, folks.

Now on to figuring out this 'mods' business.
It seems quite an overwhelming task.
I'll try and read the previous pages for hints but any new comments will be greatly appreciated.

Especially pretty basic stuff. Like, how do Steam mods work? I'm used to the Nexus, but I've noticed that all the up-to-date stuff is on Steam, so I guess I'll switch.
I have to "subscribe", and then the mod is added automatically?
Do people even store mods away anymore (like what happens if the author removes them?)?

I got plenty of time to figure out my Modlist anyway, it'll take me days to download 30 GBs....

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If the author removes, you are screwed ;)

But yeah, you only need to sub and the activate them when you start the game. Easy as pie.
You might have to check some mods though, the description, like some stuff don't work that well together.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
I'm working on my modlist while Steam slowly downloads this monster.
I must be adding GBs of stuff, but who cares, this thing is taking forever anyway.

From my preliminary research this might be a shortish list of absolutely essential mods.
Might add more when I actually play and learn about mechanics and stuff.

***** Fixes and resources
- Missing Packages Fix + Resource
- Missing Packages Fix - Parcels and Maps Edition
- X2WOTCCommunityHighlander
- Defense Matrix Sabotage Fix

***** UI
- Yet Another F1
- [WOTC] New Promotion Screen by Default
- [WotC] Mod Config Menu
- [WotC] Gotcha Again

***** QoL
- Stop Wasting My Time - WotC
- Evac All - WotC
- Smart Overwatch All [WotC]

***** Gameplay
- A Better ADVENT: War of the Chosen
- A Better Barracks
- A Better Campaign

***** Soldier Customization
- Capnbubs Accessories - WotC
- Ink And Paint
- More clothes options (and other stuffs)
I will then need voicepacks, I suppose.
Too many to choose from.
I've noticed several from The Witcher (might work for me since I didn't play any game from that series), and also from the A-Team TV show! I only remember the Italian dubbing of course, so these will sound new as well. :)

mastroego

Arcane
Here I am again.
I'm finishing my setup, could use a few more hints though.

So the only mods (of the starting ones I selected) I still need to download are:
- A Better Barracks
- A Better Campaign
The author states that these three are balanced to work together and people seem to like them. It's also probably better for me to have a coherent overhaul (Requiem style) than trying to combine random stuff at this exploring stage.
A sound plan?

Also, I'm not sure about the starting options.
Should I "integrate" the DLC contents? Why wouldn't I want it?
And why wouldn't I want to enable "Alien Hunters" and Shen's Last Gift?
The weird thing is that they're disabled by default....

EDIT: reading bits and pieces on the net, I suppose I should reverse all the default values... Enable the DLCs mission and NOT "integrate" the other one....? Very confusing.

EDIT: Damn I'm reading now the classes redesigned by the A Better Barracks mod.
I don't really like 'em, not one bit. I might have to scrap the whole plan.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Also, I'm not sure about the starting options.
Should I "integrate" the DLC contents? Why wouldn't I want it?
And why wouldn't I want to enable "Alien Hunters" and Shen's Last Gift?
The weird thing is that they're disabled by default....

EDIT: reading bits and pieces on the net, I suppose I should reverse all the default values... Enable the DLCs mission and NOT "integrate" the other one....? Very confusing.

EDIT: Damn I'm reading now the classes redesigned by the A Better Barracks mod.
I don't really like 'em, not one bit. I might have to scrap the whole plan.

If you didn't play them already don't integrate them, or you'll miss out on the story. Playing them will make the game harder, since they are long missions and your whole team will likely be broken (low will) by the end, that's why the 'integrate' option is there.

FWIW I had the same initial reaction to the ABB mod, the class names and the skill roulette system sounded like garbage on paper. I went with it coz I didn't wanna mess with mixing mods and ended up liking it a lot. The alternative would be the LW2 classes mod if you really want it, but even the default classes are fine, I only wanted to mix things up coz it was 2nd playthrough.

mastroego

Arcane
I suppose things could work gameplay wise but a few things from the ABB mod irk me, conceptually I mean.
Like the Ranger using the sword AND the cannon...
I think I'll try setting up the LW2 classes even though it seems to be trickier, at least I know them somewhat from LW1 and feel right to me.

mastroego

Arcane
Mod drama update.
God, it's a nightmare to sort through them.

The LW2 Classes for WotC mod apparently does a good job of importing them, but it's young mod, there are issues and such. I might go for it nonetheless, but I'm curious about the Richard's Classes mod too.
Did anyone use it?
It seems a bit simpler, and the classes are somewhat different, but maybe it's the best compromise all considering.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are complicating too much. Just play Xcom 2 + WotC with minimal mods for the crazy OP unbalanced fun it is.

Then uninstall WotC and play Xcom 2 with LW2 for the best version of the game with best design and most balance.
And unlike LW1 it is not even that grindy.

mastroego

Arcane
I see your points guys, minimal approach would be wise, but after 600+ hours with LW1 I need more than the basic classes, there are too few of them available as basic xcoms.
Unfortunately I didn't like LW2 though, that's why I decided to try the expansion.

So, after a lot of research, I've settled for a "modest" setup (28 mods, I'll add voices and cosmetics as needed), using Richard's classes, they seem fine enough.
I might even remove a few (from 12), those that'll remain are similar enough (in roles) to LW1.
I still have installed A Better Advent and A Better Campaign Plus, too, as I plan to start with 6 soldiers squads.
I probably will take a beating but, well.
Therefore, mocx can wait :D

Thanks for the help so far.
Uh, should I install the SMG package from LW2? I already have the secondary weapons.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
So, I was REALLY enjoying this with WoTC, but stopped to let mods mature. Have they matured to the point of being fun and stable, and which ones should I be using (It seems A better ** is the most cited pack)

mastroego

Arcane
So, I was REALLY enjoying this with WoTC, but stopped to let mods mature. Have they matured to the point of being fun and stable, and which ones should I be using (It seems A better ** is the most cited pack)
Obviously I've just started playing so my comments have little value, but I did do some research to build my own setup.
This is my modlist right now (grouped by category):

***** Fixes and resources

- Missing Packages Fix + Resource
- Missing Packages Fix - Parcels and Maps Edition
- X2WOTCCommunityHighlander
- Defense Matrix Sabotage Fix

***** UI

- Yet Another F1
- [WOTC] New Promotion Screen by Default
- [WotC] Mod Config Menu
- [WotC] Gotcha Again
- [WOTC] Cost-Based Ability Colors
- [WOTC] Detailed Soldier Lists
- WotC: robojumper's Squad Select
- Show More Buff Details

***** QoL

- Stop Wasting My Time - WotC
- Evac All - WotC
- Smart Overwatch All [WotC]

***** Gameplay

- A Better Campaign PLUS
- [WOTC] LW2 Secondary Weapons
- [WotC] Richards Classes (3 Perks per level PLUS LW2 Weapons) [WiP]
- [WotC] Richards Hero Classes Rework (to complement Richards Classes)
- Skirmisher Rebalance (to complement Richards Hero Classes)
- Bullpups Use Rifle Range Table (to complement Richards Hero Classes)
- WotC: Sting charges removal (to complement Richards Hero Classes)
- SWR Not Created Equal WotC
- Long War SMG Pack - WotC (unofficial)
- Long War Laser Pack - WotC (unofficial)
- Commanders Choice

***** Soldier Customization

- Capnbubs Accessories - WotC
- Ink And Paint
- [WOTC] More clothes options (and other stuffs)
- WotC: XCOMrades Voice Pack

Basically, UI mods do basically everything so no problems there.
I even left out a few of the recommended ones, might add them later if truly needed.

Then yes, you have A Better ADVENT: War of the Chosen and A Better Campaign PLUS (since I wanted to increase the squad size to the LW standard).
I skipped Better Barracks though, as I really don't like the classes. So I chose one of the Richards Classes mods (there are several versions), and then added a few other mods that rebalance the WotC classes in a way that fits Richards' mod (according to the author anyway).
With A Better ADVENT: WotC and A Better Campaign PLUS, I can run a default squad of 6 soldiers, and still I find the game hard.
Actually, I started on Veteran and I'm finding it PRETTY DAMN hard, especially since there are very few options at the start.

Again, I'm new to this game but I've played Long War 1 a lot, so I know the basics of this kind of tactical combat. I might have to cave in and lower the difficulty to Normal.
About the classes from Richards' mod I have mixed feelings ATM. I don't use them all, they're not perfectly seamless and I don't agree with every detail of the mod. Still, for the moment I stand by this choice, since I like having Scouts and such. Yes there's the LW2 classes port mod, but the port is imperfect since a few mechanics are exclusive to LW2 and don't exist otherwise, and there are a few unresolved issues apparently. So I prefer this mod, for the time being at least.

Last edited:
Testing LW2 now, but don't know if I can take this class insanity. First impression is they have just split up most of vanilla's classes to get more overspecialization just for overspecialization's sake. Gotta go back to openxcom's classless society.

Infiltration mechanics did seem quite cool though.

mastroego

Arcane
The classes in LW2 are similar to those in LW1 which were absolutely awesome. I couldn't play with classes as "conflated" as they are in Vanilla honestly.
Of course you need larger teams (yours and the enemies') for them to make complete sense.

Too bad I didn't like LW2 as a whole and had to look for alternatives in regards to the soldier classes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Shen's DLC for Xcom 2 was finally on good sale. Now I can do another LW2 run, I have not yet played it with final patch (played it a few times with previous patches but never finished it due to playing on too hard a difficult - second hardest; then I lowered to one below that and then it was too easy :D).
I have to try on that second hardest again now with final patch and MECs. LW2 balanced them to be more useful than vanilla Xcom2 version. WotC version of MECs is also pretty cool, I really enjoyed having one as part of my team in WotC.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Shen's Last Gift is probably the best DLC for XCOM 2.
The Hunter DLC feels really gimmicky, and the new gear it introduces pretty much trivalizes the last mission, as you can spam freeze to keep the avatars in place and just dump ass allover them.

SPARKS aren't that powerful by themselves and they do need support, but they can be a useful addition to the squad.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The Hunter DLC feels really gimmicky, and the new gear it introduces pretty much trivalizes the last mission, as you can spam freeze to keep the avatars in place and just dump ass allover them.

SPARKS aren't that powerful by themselves and they do need support, but they can be a useful addition to the squad.
Hunter's DLC weapons make early game way too easy while when Alien Rulers show up they can destroy an otherwise balanced LW2 campaign.

On the other hand they implemented Alien Rulers well into WotC with them only showing up on Alien Facility missions.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Hunter's DLC weapons make early game way too easy while when Alien Rulers show up they can destroy an otherwise balanced LW2 campaign.

On the other hand they implemented Alien Rulers well into WotC with them only showing up on Alien Facility missions.

Yeah, that's nice.
The fact that alien rulers could show up anytime, even during story missions was annoying.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I went with two collections that sounded like good ideas. Its the collection by the guy that did all the "A better X" mods, and a cosmetic collection that claims to be of high quality, and non conflicting (clipping etc). Ill see how it goes and suck me own dick

Doktor Best

Arcane
So kodex konsensus is still that turn timers are inherently shit?

Thinking about going for a run as i bought this game at release and somehow never bothered to play it, now i am deciding wether or not to use the double turn timer setting...

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected

Thinking about going for a run as i bought this game at release and somehow never bothered to play it, now i am deciding wether or not to use the double turn timer setting...

I don't know what the consensus is, but doubling the turn timer is fucking stupid. There is always PLENTY of time, except in the rare case where something just goes incredibly wrong. In that case you may as well save scum, if youre the type of fag that cant handle having to actually plan shit out in an efficient manner.

edit: i shouldnt put plenty in caps. Its not that youll have a large number of turns left over, but that the game is actually well balanced around the number they give you (which is precisely why it should be played with the default setting)

Doktor Best

Arcane
Yeah there wont be save scumming for me. I play all S-Rpgs ironman only.

I guess i will keep the normal turn timers and get myself some butthurt-salve.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Vanilla Xcom 2 has terrible timers. Xcom2 + WotC expansion made this better. Xcom 2+ Long War 2 also made this even better where timers are more generous in a way that you often get 2x timer of vanilla Xcom 2 but at half that timer enemies start dropping reinforcements and then keep dropping more and more and after timer ends reinforcements basically drop every turn and become harder and more numerous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom