Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The aliens will always target the most susceptible to psi in your squad; the AI immediately knows who has the lowest psi-strength and bravery (without the mind probe, too), and once they get vision of one guy, everyone becomes eligible for psi attacks.
It works like that in both vanilla and openxcom

To experiment, place a known low psi strength soldier in the back of the skyranger, and send one high strength soldier outside, to where an alien can see him.
The low psi strength soldier should get mind controlled rather quickly.

Apparently distance is a factor too, at least according to ufopedia.
But it is certain that the AI will skip LoS requirements and will go after the weakest targets.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there's some kind of randomness factor added to OpenXcom so that you can't cheese it (bring along your 1 psi strength recruit and leave him as an unarmed psi soaker), instead it tends to spread psi attacks out more. Otherwise that is correct. Distance does have an effect but only to an extent, psi 90+ soldiers are immune at point blank and psi 10- are gonna be MCed across the map.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It seems to work like vanilla to me, but I probably just haven't noticed it.

I would use the option that makes psi need vision, but I found that it renders the mind probe completely useless, and it nerfs the ethereals super hard.
Turns out without psi, ethereals are just upgraded floaters.

Lucky

Arcane
I can’t work up any excitement for XCOM 2, even with them focusing on the PC . The whole design philosophy behind the first game, from aesthetics, to gameplay, sound and so on, was a significant step back from the original games, with Long War being necessary to make it any fun. I don’t trust the devs to have learned from their mistakes regarding both the gameplay and general aesthetics this time, plus the Long War modders won’t be there to bail them out.

Speaking of which, Long War is apparently on its way to getting finished

XCOM 2 [official site] looms, but despite its many enticing changes it seems unlikely it’ll take Firaxis’ X-COM reboot much closer to the Golloptastic source material. As such, complicated, hardcore and remarkably extensive mod Long War is, I suspect, going to remain your best bet for a game which furthers the uncompromising, unsympathetic spirit of the original games. It expands so many elements, introduces many more, remixes almost everything, makes an XCOM campaign ten times longer and, if you so wish, repeatedly bloodies your nose in the process. And now, several years and 15 major releases later, it is more-or-less finished. Next, its makers will turn their hands to their own “grand strategy alien invasion game.”

The team behind it are now “winding down developing Long War and [will] start setting up to develop our own original games”, writes the projects’ Johnny Lump on Reddit. Over on the mod’s forum, he expands that
“Finally, the mod is done. It’s still a Beta while we make sure we didn’t miss any critical bugs or have balance way out of wack. While we appreciate thoughtful and even-handed feedback and ideas, no more major work on the mod is planned. (We do have three or four voicepacks still in the pipeline.)”

He also reveals that the working title for their next game is Terra Invictus, and that “it is probably best described as a grand strategy alien invasion game.” XCOM on a much larger scale, perhaps? There’ll be Kickstarter for it at some point, and apparently you can email them if you want to be first to hear when that happens.

As for version 15f of The Long War, here are the major changes and additions:

Dutch Male voicepack (Euro 2) by Benjamin Smit
Resp implant confers +1 hp
All suppression-based reaction fire will get the opportunist bonus (not just LMG/SAW-series) and ignore cover
Improved Fusion Core council request rewards
Rework Jaeger tree to make ITZ spec perk, Squadsight to TSGT, VPT to MSGT, Remove LEU and replace with LnL at MSGT.
Rework of Goliath tree. Welcome Covering Fire, Rapid Fire, and Extra Conditioning. Farewell Platform Stability, Bring ‘Em On and Ready for Anything.
Rework of Shogun tree
Alloy Carbide Plating now grants flat +4 hit points
Attempted to set autopause before a mission expires one hour earlier
The seven special soldiers will have 0 defense rather than random value
Smoke will now help against reaction fire
Aliens will stack terror and infiltration missions on the same country less often in non-DW games

There are also a whole bunch of bugfixes, naturally. I haven’t played The Long War since something like version 9, so many of those names and terms don’t mean much to me, other than that oh boy, I really must make time to go back to it while I count the days and hours until XCOM 2’s November release. Though I do have concerns that it tilted too far into hardcore, what I’ve experienced of it so far clearly proved that the mod is a monumental undertaking and in many ways a triumphant reworking of a game which (disappointingly) wasn’t intended to be reworked in the first place. The persistence and dedication is remarkable, and by all accounts it paid off. Go see.

Plus the bug fixes that the article left out

Here’s the bugfixes

Bugfixes

· Flying units will have flying defense bonus against reaction fire
· Units granted a free move by Psi Inspire, Command and Revive will no longer get infinite Close Encounters or Hit and Run shots. These abilities will now prevent activation of CE/HnR -- this change was necessary for the bugfix.
· Hardened units will get bonuses again on Absolutely Critical.
· Meld/Bombs will be invisible in the fog as intended. Added SW option to make them visible.
· Controller should work with new SW table now
· More map patches
· Updated South African Male 2 pack
· Alien negative defense will show up on aim readout now
· Fix to reported psi chances
· Fix when revived covert operative comes home dead
· Fixes to reported overwatch shot %
· More unclickable bomb node issues
· CTD in post mission soldier-sort

Should be interesting to see what the kickstarter will be like. Developing an actual game from scratch and then selling it is very different from delivering a mod, but the quality of their work so far has me pretty hopeful.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Should be interesting to see what the kickstarter will be like. Developing an actual game from scratch and then selling it is very different from delivering a mod, but the quality of their work so far has me pretty hopeful.

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic as well. Long War is a fantastic mod, but much of the depth it adds at the strategy layer comes from finding a way to insert aspects of the original game. Ideally their game would be a new approach rather than simply another reworking of the original.

bonescraper

W1DcZTY.jpg

You can run but you cant hide, kek. How to kill PKs upon first meeting them.
This game is so overrated. I ragequit when i reached a mission where, at the very beggining, a bunch of germans was attacking a handful of allies. I had to spend like 4-5 turns just to reach them. So much fucking waiting, since i had to watch all fucking ~15 AI controlled soldiers taking their turns one by one. Also, the destruction was waaay over the top. I remember penetrating brick walls with a rifle and taking down guard towers with a single burst from an SMG :lol:

Declinator

Arbiter
This game is so overrated. I ragequit when i reached a mission where, at the very beggining, a bunch of germans was attacking a handful of allies. I had to spend like 4-5 turns just to reach them. So much fucking waiting, since i had to watch all fucking ~15 AI controlled soldiers taking their turns one by one.

Yeah, I didn't even play through the first mission before installing the speed mod.

Also, the destruction was waaay over the top. I remember penetrating brick walls with a rifle and taking down guard towers with a single burst from an SMG :lol:

You think a WW2 rifle should not be able to penetrate brick walls?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE-g6vSGdq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mn2PkWqX7M

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Please, just don't bring videos of fat masses of lard who demonstrate how katanas cut things to prove some point about melee weapons.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Katanas are sharp though.
Because you know, its a sword.

Katanas are actually quite fragile and are designed to cut non armored opponents since they were mostly designed for duels and were much easier to carry around than battlefield weaponry. Infantry warfare was won by polearm weapons such as the Naginata just like in almost every other martial culture.

Zeriel

Arcane

Katanas are actually quite fragile and are designed to cut non armored opponents since they were mostly designed for duels and were much easier to carry around than battlefield weaponry. Infantry warfare was won by polearm weapons such as the Naginata just like in almost every other martial culture.

uKbJbHb.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Katanas are actually quite fragile
Lel.

http://youtu.be/YdFmVZ0aAWo

Quite fragile.

That video gets funnier every time I see it due to how nonsensical it is.

1. Steel is tougher than lead. The same thing would happen with a sharpened kitchen knife.

2. A katana has a soft-ish spine and a very hard edge, the thinly sharpened edge immediately disperses the kinetic impact due to the speed of the bullet. Shooting the blunt side will definitely leave an indentation.

3. Fragility in this case obviously relates to other swords. The katana is not designed for parrying (there are some maneuvers but Kenjutsu emphasizes evasion and landing the first strike). People don't realize how light a katana is, I've held two and they almost feel like an extension of your arm after a modicum of training. Screwing around with an arming sword (it is about the size of a katana) will leave you out of breath very quickly, every single gram strains your arm further and you will feel it immediately. If the two would clash at full strength the katana's edge would certainly nick and distort into the softer spine.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I don't see how that would make it dull.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

I don't see how that would make it dull.

I cannot into reading compression. Basically Space Satan was complaining about katana fetishists cutting stuff on youtube to prove how it is the bestest sword ever (no such thing) and I thought your "they are sharp" post was about how they can indeed cut a lot of stuff because they are super sharp. I wanted to note that actually they can't really cut that much stuff on the battlefield, they are meant to be used against naked flesh, so due to their light weight it doesn't really matter how sharp they are. I dun goofed.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Leaked picture of xcom 2 mutton
GOLJcTJ.jpg

Looks way better than the firaxcom mutton at least.

That chainsaw on the plasma weapon though.

I don't have a problem with the environment's art direction (futuristic super clean fascism thing is alright IMO), but yeah that's a little overly cartoony.

Hopefully not the finished product.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom