Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Falksi

Arcane
Does anyone know if the PS4 will get a hard copy release of WATC, similar to Enemy Within?

luinthoron

Learned
Anyway, since the new story content is in the tutorial...
That is not entirely true. From what I noticed when starting the game myself, Lost and Abandoned can not be disabled if the tutorial is enabled and is considered part of it in that case, but is still there otherwise if you leave it enabled. Start of the tutorial was definitely still the same old, though, so I do admit I did not bother doing the two old tutorial missions after noticing that and went straight to the updated Gatecrasher instead (and got a smaller statue to blow up this time), so if there are any changes to the old tutorial missions, I would not exactly know. Still, we do not meet the new factions or the Chosen before Lost and Abandoned in either case, so I don't think there can be any new story before that.

PCGamer said:
XCOM 2 is still unclear about whether a patch of ground is visible to an enemy or not. You can move to a supposedly safe part of the grid, shown in blue, only for the fog of war to peel back and reveal a turret a couple of metres away. When you get used to XCOM you learn to play around these situations with very cautious moves, but the system doesn't quite behave sensibly
Ah, now that is just silly. It's quite sensible of the system to show you only unsafe spaces seen by enemies you know of. You can't possibly expect to know you will be seen by an enemy when you don't know the enemy is even there. Or a civilian, for that matter, those fuckers can mess up your stealthy approach as well when they suddenly appear behind a corner.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
I am on the middle of the campaign (researching plasma atm) and this xpack is so good.

Even if it is more difficult than vanilla (chosen are annoying, need a much BIGGER roster), there are a lot more tools to help in both strategic and tactical.

Performance wise i don't see improvements other than loading times (still fps drops)

However, my favourite feature is the huge amount of missions and environments you can find, so much variety and another level compared to vanilla.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Played a very short time. I really miss Not Created Equally and some of the QoL features from the LW pack, but the loading times have been improved tons.

Of course the new content is displayed through annoying, scripted missions. Haven't check yet but I assume there's a way to turn those off like with the DLC. There seems to be a lot more variety in tilesets, maps and missions. The special hero units seem such a tacked on design, though.

Luka-boy

Arcane
:outrage::terminate::M:terrorist:

denjac3jcsdz.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Been watching a let's play for a few days now and I really like the new content. Yeah, the hero introductory missions are annoyingly scripted, that will hurt replayability a bit. And the Chosen are irritating. They have this Disney Channel design, the prattle incessantly and talk like the villains in the old Ninja Turtles cartoons I loved when I was 10. Oh and the new Chosen weapons are a bit too OP methinks.

But I love the variety. The new missions, new threats, new skills, new heroes (btw I don't see them tacked on at all, I think they're pretty interesting). Good stuff overall. Only Firaxis really should stop putting cartoonish art in their games, first Civ 6, now this. Jesus, who do they think play their games, schoolkids or aspies in their thirties?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe with the Ninja Turtle look they want to appeal to our childhood memories..? :P

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Been playing for a few hours, and I am greatly enjoying the experience. The only big issue I have is that they really front-load all of the new content on you within the first hour or so of gameplay with scripted events, to the point where it really fucks with the base-game's pacing and makes early game feel very disjointed as a result. Think they should've tried to gradually introduce this shit a little later in the game, maybe five or so hours in, just so that you have some time to take everything in before they throw you in the deep end.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't think this is even worth pirating atm.
I will wait for mods to fix it. If not, Firaxis xcom is dead to me.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So far I like what I am seing. Game is more intense and filled with lots of things. map is filled with lots of missions, a lot of existing missions got reworked and chosen present a new challenge. Heroes have separate upgrades for their stuff so players' resources are stretched even thinner. New buildings require more resources and fucking flamethrowers prevent melee chars to be superkillers. Also, loading times for me 2 times shorter, to the point where loading animation not always could start as you have gerr to go for mission start already. We'll see how it goes. For now it's not a total fuckup I was expecting

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
A bunch of civilians gather inside a small room, a resistance guard opens the door and let advent troops massacre civilians through that door. Good to know the AI is still 10/10 :smug:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
are time countdown missions still in the game?
Yes but from my experience they added more missions with either late start timers, options to extend it(shoot node, get 1 turn) or "soft" timers, like zombies arriving in swarms. Plus there's an option at the start to double timers.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Anyone knows if we can get more than one Skirmisher/Reaper/Templar?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom