Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Apocalypse was full of awesum innovations, like real-time combat, uh-huh. It had the weakest design of all X-Coms. Skeletoid and anthropod = reskinned Floater and sectoid, hyperworms and multiworms= reskinned terror units with minor features like spawning from each other. Some kind of innovation came with poppers and mindsuckers as a reworked chryssalids\tentaculats. Plus no big aliens, like cyberdiscs and stuff, instead replaced with mundane shit. Original X-Com had more alien diversity and alien roles than Apocalypse. Plus shitty unit design.
Factions were not that different from funding, the difference was that you can raid cult nonstop for free cash, which was border exploitive.

Falksi

Arcane
Apocalypse was full of awesum innovations, like real-time combat, uh-huh. It had the weakest design of all X-Coms. Skeletoid and anthropod = reskinned Floater and sectoid, hyperworms and multiworms= reskinned terror units with minor features like spawning from each other. Some kind of innovation came with poppers and mindsuckers as a reworked chryssalids\tentaculats. Plus no big aliens, like cyberdiscs and stuff, instead replaced with mundane shit. Original X-Com had more alien diversity and alien roles than Apocalypse. Plus shitty unit design.
Factions were not that different from funding, the difference was that you can raid cult nonstop for free cash, which was border exploitive.

All that aside, Apocalypse still has way more enemy variety than X-com 2.

And the idea of evolving is that, especially after 20 years, more imagination/variety is displayed, not less. Xcom 2 should have way more unusual aliens than it has. The humanoid design for so many is woefully lazy.

luinthoron

Learned

All that aside, Apocalypse still has way more enemy variety than X-com 2.

And the idea of evolving is that, especially after 20 years, more imagination/variety is displayed, not less. Xcom 2 should have way more unusual aliens than it has. The humanoid design for so many is woefully lazy.
That may be true for an entirely new game, but other than the ADVENT hybrid soldiers, the XCOM 2 aliens are an evolution of the enemies from XCOM, which in turn was a reimagination of the original UFO/X-COM, keeping mostly to the same alien types. Can't really expect new aliens in this game - after the final mission of the first remake XCOM had the Ethereals proudly showing off their collection, this would not really work with the story.

Falksi

Arcane
That may be true for an entirely new game, but other than the ADVENT hybrid soldiers, the XCOM 2 aliens are an evolution of the enemies from XCOM, which in turn was a reimagination of the original UFO/X-COM, keeping mostly to the same alien types. Can't really expect new aliens in this game - after the final mission of the first remake XCOM had the Ethereals proudly showing off their collection, this would not really work with the story.

Valid point, but it's still boring though, and it wouldn't have taken much imagination to take the story in a direction in which more outlandish aliens could have been included.

I just really hope that, if we see a 3rd installment, it's full of more outlandish creatures & environments. Seeing humanoid after humanoid is getting very tiresome now.

luinthoron

Learned
I just really hope that, if we see a 3rd installment, it's full of more outlandish creatures & environments. Seeing humanoid after humanoid is getting very tiresome now.
If it will in any way feature the enemy the Ethereals have been hinting at in the end of both XCOM and XCOM 2, there's certainly room for new creatures again. Less so for environments, but alien bases could certainly have yet another new look to them when it comes to a whole new enemy.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Firaxis can now make sequesl to both nuXcom and nuXcom2. One is a traditional one and one with terror from the deep vibe. My bet is on nuXcom2 aquatic stuff.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Imagine all the possibilities an underwater XCOM would offer. And then imagine what kind of trite, bland game Firaxis will make instead.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually the main difference with underwater mission I encountered when shifted from X-Com to Terror from the Deep was lack of light and additional light grenades every aquanaut must carry. Gauss and Aquatic weaaponscan fire both underwater and on surfase so not much problem here.
And, of course, tentaculats. Fucking chryssalids that can fucking fly.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Indeed, I also did not find the underwater combat difference in the old games that big.
Gameplay-wise, I mean. The atmosphere was really different.

Oh no, I didn't mean to say TFTD was much different from UFO, I was just thinking about the possibilities in a modern game with a modern engine. You could simulate depth, pressure, light levels and so forth and make a really scary TBS game. None of that will happen though.

Mazisky

Magister
LOL, price is out, here in central Europe is 40 Eur, pretty insanely high for an expansion.

I'll buy anyway cause i have 200 hours in X2 and so it's worth my money, but still :mixedemotions:

ArchAngel

Arcane
LOL, price is out, here in central Europe is 40 Eur, pretty insanely high for an expansion.

I'll buy anyway cause i have 200 hours in X2 and so it's worth my money, but still :mixedemotions:
Fool.
I will pirate it like I did Xcom 2 and then wait for 75% off and buy it then just like I did with both Xcom 1 and Xcom 2.

Mazisky

Magister

Fool.
I will pirate it like I did Xcom 2 and then wait for 75% off and buy it then just like I did with both Xcom 1 and Xcom 2.

I don't get that proud pirate behaviour so common on codex, games on steam are often discounted, it can be fun for a 10 y old kid who can feel like he broke the law, but for normal people it is not a thing to be proud of.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Fool.

I don't get that proud pirate behaviour so common on codex, games on steam are often discounted, it can be fun for a 10 y old kid who can feel like he broke the law, but for normal people it is not a thing to be proud of.
Is it discounted on release day? No.
Then what is your point fool?

Mazisky

Magister

Fool.

If you think the price is too high and not worth your money don't play it at all.

Or get a job.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The price isn't too high but it certainly isn't on the level where most people buy it on impulse. Doubly so if you were burned by the original XCOM2.

Falksi

Arcane
If you like and value something, invest as much money as you can in it. If not, don't come complaining when the quality of later products deteriorates.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If you like and value something, invest as much money as you can in it. If not, don't come complaining when the quality of later products deteriorates.

I bought like 200+ bucks worth of Paradox DLC but their games are still becoming worse with every iteration.
I also invested next to nothing in Firaxis games and the same thing still happens.

:hmmm:

Falksi

Arcane

I bought like 200+ bucks worth of Paradox DLC but their games are still becoming worse with every iteration.
I also invested next to nothing in Firaxis games and the same thing still happens.

:hmmm:

Then you don't like it, so stop investing. But if you like it, keep investing.

The only sure thing if people don't invest in something they do like, is that said things will cease to exist.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Fool.

If you think the price is too high and not worth your money don't play it at all.

Or get a job.
I do have a job. What is left after paying bills is not for 40euro overpriced shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom