Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Source? That looks pretty goofy.
I thought it was universally agreed upon that nu-XCom's art direction was kinda awful.

I didn't mind it.
Except for the male soldier models. Way too bulky, especially if you compare them to the female models.
The EU Muton looked better than this one though. It looks like a retarded krogan.

Found a full body image.

TB9iImFh.jpeg

Proportions are awful.

Gozma

Arcane
Looks like they wanted to debulk it so it could use generic human animations

Athelas

Arcane
Looks like a skinsuit. Now I want to see what it looks like from the back (dat ass etc.).

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't have a problem with the environment's art direction (futuristic super clean fascism thing is alright IMO), but yeah that's a little overly cartoony.

Hopefully not the finished product.
Don't worry it's a finished product. I did a quite a lot of stuff as game developer. We are doing stuff like this. If you wanna proof look at Stardock and Legendary Heroes.

Quality game developer doesn't equal he will not make something retarded, quality game developer makes other stuff so well fitting and playable and shows so much creativity so players tend to ignore that retarded stuff.

Now the question is, would there be a playable game behind it? Or would Firaxis continue it's rampage of simplification and trying to make things too conventional?

Inspectah

Savant
I miss TFtD's enemy designs. That mutton kinda looks like tazz from ECW fame, muscular torso and little girl legs

Inspectah

Savant
It’s also pretty cool because a lot of our players lost XCOM. The first time they played they legit lost. A lot of our developers lost the first time too
They talking about EU? How the fuck do you loose in that game?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It’s also pretty cool because a lot of our players lost XCOM. The first time they played they legit lost. A lot of our developers lost the first time too
I got creamed my first playthrough. Classic, Ironman, didn't know how the game worked at all. Cheating Thin Men one-shotted half my guys in phase 2. By the time I got to landing ships with Floaters and Mutons, I was still fielding rookies. I didn't keep playing to the game over screen with all countries pulling funding, but I think quitting at that point counts as legit lost.

Inspectah

Savant
Fair enough.
I said that because in my first playthrough I won on classic ironman and only lost about 6 or 7 dudes, since making overwatch traps was so easy

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's actually pretty easy to lose if you play it the way its "intended". But its a very degenerate game, because when you realize it all revolves around pod activation, you realize how the game should *actually* be played.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well it will be better when they would use air combat, starting resources, and resource cost of classic, but they kept tactical combat at normal difficulty, with exception of more moving alien groups.

Last edited:
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It's actually pretty easy to lose if you play it the way its "intended". But its a very degenerate game, because when you realize it all revolves around pod activation, you realize how the game should *actually* be played.

Yeah, it's kind of hilarious how counterproductive the tutorial is. Compared to disabling and playing a normal first mission, the tutorial both guarantees you will play in the least effective manner and guarantees you will have the lowest possible number of squaddie troops for the second mission (since if all four die, the mission just restarts). It's kind of a tour de force in player sabotage.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
My enthusiasm for this game continues to cool with almost every new thing that gets released. I like it less and less with every video and every screenshot.

First, they released that the story from EU and EW didn't matter. XCOM apparently failed a couple of months in. That sucks a ton right there - but I can almost get past that.

Second, the gameplay/trailer with the sword man. Yes, because rather than drawing a sidearm, using a sword is superior...

Then they show MORE footage of gameplay with ...what do I call them now? XCOM Insurgents? How edgy. Anyway, they are sneaking in, risking their lives, to blow up a statue. Yeah, cause that's what wins wars, blowing up statues.

Next they show enemy reinforcements. Before, enemies just got a free move when they were uncovered. Now, they just drop in enemies into flanking positions or within melee range of your troops. Sure, sure, sure, this was probably tightly scripted for dramatic effect, but the mechanic we'll see in play could be even more random.

Did you see how far that snake man yanked that XCOM Jihadist out of cover? It looked like 10 squares. Then the snake man proceeded to crush him out in the open.

Good news, your teammate dies and you want to keep that gear? Better be prepared to carry his ass off the field! Realistic? I guess, but it sure isn't going to be fun.

The Muton looks dumb. Giant head, tiny feet!

For all you who believe in your hearts that they will iron everything out before shipping... remember Beyond Earth.

Maybe I've been hanging around here with you guys too long and I'm getting jaded... but I'm not pre-ordering this game.

Oh, on a related note, I went to go player XCOM:EW again, Ironman style, to soothe my butthurt over what I've seen of XCOM 2.

I got my initial Assault, Sniper, Heavy, and Support from my first mission...

Then I never got a Sniper or Assault again...

I trained 15 more rookies and I got 12 heavies and 3 supports. My assault and sniper were long dead. Do you know how terrible it is to play a Terror mission with 4 heavies and 2 support?

WHY IS THIS EVEN A MECHANIC?!
"Congratulations Rookie, you've been promoted! Time to spend the JOB WHEEL!"
"Hey Commander, we really need a snipe-"
"WE ALWAYS SPIN THE WHEEL!"

Did you know they tweaked the accuracy of Rocket Launchers so that they could go dramatically awry? They can, oh man, can they ever.

screw this game...maybe I'll go player the original... or Xenonauts.

Last edited:

Tytus

Arcane
Then they show MORE footage of gameplay with ...what do I call them now? XCOM Insurgents? How edgy. Anyway, they are sneaking in, risking their lives, to blow up a statue. Yeah, cause that's what wins wars, blowing up statues.

For someone who works at Obsidian I expected you to be more educated. Blowing up statues during an occupation especially in the middle of the celebration of occupant's power and the "stability" that he has brought is essential to showing the general populace the in fact that things are not under control and succesful strikes can be delivered against the occupant. Armia Krajowa during German occupation of Poland did exactly that (also other operations like gasing people who went to a german sponsored cinema that spewed propaganda) to show Polish people that Germans can be hurt, that the resistance movement is present and that the occupant grip isn't as strong as he claims to be. People risked their lifes in Warsaw just to remove a metal slab that the Germans put which was saying the Copernicus wasn't Polish but was a German. This later built Polish morale and culminated in Warsaw Uprising. So blowing up a statue that symbolizes the Alien Power in XCOM2 makes perfect sense.

tl;dr - educate yourself shitlord.

I agree on other points though.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

For someone who works at Obsidian I expected you to be more educated. Blowing up statues during an occupation especially in the middle of the celebration of occupant's power and the "stability" that he has brought is essential to showing the general populace the in fact that things are not under control and succesful strikes can be delivered against the occupant. Armia Krajowa during German occupation of Poland did exactly that (also other operations like gasing people who went to a german sponsored cinema that spewed propaganda) to show Polish people that Germans can be hurt, that the resistance movement is present and that the occupant grip isn't as strong as he claims to be. People risked their lifes in Warsaw just to remove a metal slab that the Germans put onn which was saying the Copernicus wasn't Polish but was a German. This later built Polish morale and culminated in Warsaw Uprising. So blowing up a statue that symbolizes the Alien Power in XCOM2 makes perfect sense.

People win wars, the move could be a morale boost, I get it.

I also got that in the gameplay video that it undermines the narrative of the alien/goverment hivemind whatever that everything is under control. I get the symbolic victory of it.

Your point was fair, but I was just rolling and bitching, and everything else I've seen still sucks.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

For someone who works at Obsidian I expected you to be more educated. Blowing up statues during an occupation especially in the middle of the celebration of occupant's power and the "stability" that he has brought is essential to showing the general populace the in fact that things are not under control and succesful strikes can be delivered against the occupant. Armia Krajowa during German occupation of Poland did exactly that (also other operations like gasing people who went to a german sponsored cinema that spewed propaganda) to show Polish people that Germans can be hurt, that the resistance movement is present and that the occupant grip isn't as strong as he claims to be. People risked their lifes in Warsaw just to remove a metal slab that the Germans put onn which was saying the Copernicus wasn't Polish but was a German. This later built Polish morale and culminated in Warsaw Uprising. So blowing up a statue that symbolizes the Alien Power in XCOM2 makes perfect sense.

I also got that in the gameplay video that it undermines the narrative of the alien/goverment hivemind whatever that everything is under control. I get the symbolic victory of it.

Your point was fair, but I was just rolling and bitching, and everything else I've seen still sucks.

I think the statue type mission would be more logical if there was a fame/infamy system where undercom ( I find it stupid to still call it xcom) needed to also balance public opinion. So you would have to choose (hopefully in a more well designed way than the timed 3 choice missions in EU) to pursue missions that either gave you credits, materials, reputation or soldiers (releasing prisoners).

ArchAngel

Arcane

Actually they said that video does not really represent the full game. Vipers will not be able to pull troops and damage them in same action and reinforcements will not be able to act as soon as they appear.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Then I never got a Sniper or Assault again...
That sucks. How many other rookies have you hired?

I trained 15 more rookies and I got 12 heavies and 3 supports. My assault and sniper were long dead. Do you know how terrible it is to play a Terror mission with 4 heavies and 2 support?
Actually that's probably close to optimal squad. There isn't much running on these missions, thus heavies were fine.

WHY IS THIS EVEN A MECHANIC?!
I'd rather have someone with talent for heavy to be appointed as heavy. Well you should be more careful with these rare squad roles. Letting to kill these really caused trouble.
Also what happened to that occasional reward of a trained squad member?

Gozma

Arcane
I Someone else should fork Long War into Fun War that divides the game length by 5, makes the strategic level much easier, air game trivial, removes EXALT extraction missions, and makes base assaults/supply barges take 10 minutes instead of 3 hours. And that would be the version for people that only want to play one campaign in a reasonable time and don't care for it to be really loseable or deal with unfair shit. Lots of stuff like LW's rocket scatter/cover destruction baseline/acid/MECs/classes/lots of other stuff is just hands down better than vanilla and it being only for ultraspergs isn't necessary.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well it would be nice when they would have someone who has a clue about these terror operations. Generally these operations don't want to draw attention for no reason, and when they draw attention they do it in order they can easily deal with.

When they would make it with knowledge about proper operations and with proper depth, there would be stuff like this:
jvwlNnh.jpg

OKKHExp.jpg

Then in phase two you'd have this.
TuNRh3a.jpg

Phase 3 is a large scale operation when you are able to fight on equal terms and winning.
Phase 4 is acting as a government and removing leftovers of enemy troops.
Phase 5 is resting and solving problems with largely peaceful means and calming down the country after warfare, with new more capable government that isn't complete shit in comparison to old one.

Then there is stuff that is harder to find like about problems about uranium after enrichment and why you must do certain precautions.

Basically when they don't have clue about operation in highly asymmetric environment like after alien invasion they should get a brain and find info about stuff. Alien reprecussions are bit harder than after regular terrorism, because aliens have means. But operations against aliens are also less likely to backfire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom