Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xanadu Next (2005) - Released on PC

tet666

Augur
Well that's nice and all but i played it years ago allrdy.
I think most ppl who where interested in it played the fan patch by now.
I really don't see this selling well and i honestly wish Xseed would port something newer from Falcom to PC like Trails of Cold Steel or one of the newer Ys games those are also titles that actually have a fanbase here.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Well, I'm excited. The game slipped my mind, so I never got around to playing it before. I have always liked the cut of Falcom's jib. Would give blood for a Legacy of the Wizard type game.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I have a framerate issue with this game right now, I think the problem it's Windows 10.

Have someone an idea to fix that?

Edit: I solved it playing without the fullscreen.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A fantastic game, I recommend it to everyone.
It's basically Diablo, except with a better battle system, and a Metroidvania world structure instead of random dungeons.

I have a framerate issue with this game right now, I think the problem it's Windows 10.

Have someone an idea to fix that?

Edit: I solved it playing without the fullscreen.
They'll probably fix it with the Steam release.

Last edited:

tet666

Augur
I really don't see this selling well and i honestly wish Xseed would port something newer from Falcom to PC like Trails of Cold Steel or one of the newer Ys games those are also titles that actually have a fanbase here.

Ys 8 is almost guaranteed to get localized by xseed but I wouldn't hold my breath for Falcom to port anything to PC.

Dunno i read in an interview with them everything they make now is made with PC in mind and they see steam as an important platform for their future releases they also allrdy partnered with Aksys Games for the steam port of Tokyo Xanadu which will be released next year.
http://gematsu.com/2016/07/tokyo-xanadu-coming-north-america-ps-vita-pc-2017

Machocruz

Arcane
Nov 3 will be a very good day indeed. Think I'll skip work and immerse myself in Falcom quasi-old school magic. It will be like childhood all over again. Maybe I'll even get up at 6 am and watch old episodes of Captain N: The Game Master and Real Ghostbusters.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Well that's nice and all but i played it years ago allrdy.
I think most ppl who where interested in it played the fan patch by now.

If anyone's curious, doesn't have a Vita or generally wants to play more YS games; the latest YS game apart from 8 which is YS: Memories of Celceta is released on PC and is translated.

Here are some screenies:

Config ini + actual config window
IV4zl4c.png

The actual game (had to window it since there are people that didn't believe that it got a PC port):

igZXuFO.jpg

Plays really well, no hiccups, and the image quality is better than that of the Vita's. Dubs are in Japanese and most, if not all, the content is translated with the US Vita release serving as the guide for translation.

tet666

Augur
Ah yeah the Chinese port forgot about that one might give it a try, i know where to find it.

tet666

Augur
Yup. The Vita release is english dub, so you need a hacked vita to play undub. Celceta PC with the patch is the definitive version.

From what i saw it lacks shaders and shadows definitely doesn't look as good as the vita version.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So this is out and it feels like it could be a fun romp. However, it seems pretty buggy at the moment - at least for me, all weapon skills disappear for good when equipping a spell or a piece of armor. That basically means I'm stuck running around in starting gear for the time being. :P

EDIT: Spells don't disappear like that though, so for now I abandoned weapon skills completely and decided to make do with spells instead.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The latest update solved all my bugs problems:

xanadu.png

Really shouldn't have updated at all. And here was I looking forward to playing it a bit more today. Good job, devs.

spekkio

Arcane
As always, playing unofficial trannyslation is better idea than paying for official release... :obviously:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Hooray, it's been updated again and running fine now. :lol: They even seem to have fixed the weapon skills.

This has been quite a rollercoaster ride I must tell you.

Machocruz

Arcane
Finished first dungeon. Left town. Game reminds me of Vagrant Story, aesthetically and with the crate moving and stuff. Like that you get damage bonus if attacking from rear or side. I think the writing is pretty good for this kind of game. Good translation at least. Falcom charm. Falcom music.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As always, playing unofficial trannyslation is better idea than paying for official release... :obviously:
Eh, at least they're getting an updated version. Installing the old patched version just to compare the translation was definitely a hassle, the GOG version works just fine. At least you're putting money into seeing more of this done, on the PC.

As for the translation: it's a touched up fix on the fan patch. Most of the wording is similar, but there's already a few capitalization fixes and grammar changes I've seen in some of dialogue and other text. XSEED has enlisted the help / bought fan-patches before so this should be no surprise. They couldn't fix the hard character limit on the name-creation but they removed the bottom _ _ _ _ _ parts, just to make it look better I guess? Obviously since those bars were for Japanese characters and not English.

Yeah, so, useless stuff like that. If you already beat it with the 2.0 "UK" patch, I wouldn't say it's worth the $20, but I appreciate XSEED going the extra mile. There might be more dramatic changes farther in the game, but I'm just gonna go with the XSEED one by default since I already bought it.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
First :d1p: in a long time. Nihon Falcom games haven't disappointed me so far, so supporting them and XSEED was a nobrainer.

Machocruz

Arcane
First d1p in a long time for me too. Been enjoying Falcom games since the 80s, starting with Ys 1 on the Sega Master System. That fucking music. Still didn't understand RPGs at the time, and since I rented most of my games, I had the habit of playing other people's saves, adding to the confusion.

Someone explain to me what this game is and why it is so great. Please help

I do like Faxanadu for the record.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The game is like the tipical Falcom middle 2000' ARPG, but with funnier combat than Ys, the tipical OST and you can spend the point on atributes when leveling up however you want, there are lots of other stuff, but Im not here to do a review (less in english), someone here compared it with SOTN, but I think they are very different, unless the game becomes more "open" further.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Enjoying the game a lot so far, dungeon doesn't feel completely railroaded, enemies actually hurt, healing is scarce (unless you use the healing guardian and spend a lot on potions, which seems like a fair tradeoff considering the others do a lot too and money is rather useful.)

However, I'm having some serious interface problems, the lower section of my menu is inaccessible; when I click there I just walk over that way instead of selecting the item/skill/spell. I didn't even realize my passive skills needed to be equipped for a while because of this. I'm assuming it's an issue with the display resolution/windowed mode but I don't feel like dicking with all the permuations.

Crooked Bee

Patron
So I played this for a few hours in total and the game isn't really clicking with me so far (forgive the unintentional pun). For the record, I'm not extremely far in I think, but I've already gotten the boulder smashing ability, beaten the tree boss, and explored a lot of the Endless Maze or whatever it's called, and found several tablets and diary entries, as well as played around with several different guardian spirits.

So far, the game absolutely lacks any challenge compared to Ys games like Oath or Origin or even Napishtim - I just steamroll my way through everything, never lacking in money, experience or equipment upgrades. Ys's enemies and bosses are, imho, much more challenging and interesting, even early on. I could gimp myself by not upgrading I guess, but that would defeat the hack and slash nature of the game. Speaking of which, I've never been a fan of Diablo so this game's less action-ey and more click-clickety-click combat compared to Ys isn't terribly exciting for me either. No idea why anyone would say this has better combat than Ys, at least as far as the Ys games in the Oath engine are concerned.

Got several healing potions and a few of Char's picnic baskets too, which I never use. I feel like this game really needs a harder difficulty setting - or you need to play it without upgrading too much.

The writing is also a bit too dull. You might say it's the same in Ys, but actually I find Ys's writing to be pretty good, with plenty of amusing and lighthearted moments and an occasional funny line. Not so much of that here.

I'll keep playing because it's definitely not bad, though not as great as I expected either. I just hope it becomes more interesting and challenging later (but even if it does, the point of this post is that I've found the first few hours fairly lackluster).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom