Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
But of course you will, with your deep knowledge of the game gained while browsing message boards and reading bandwaggon reviews.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Who the fuck's alt are you?

Dildolos, mah nigga. No-one else could possibly shill this much for shitgames.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yet another shitstain. Are you also here to share your wisdom on something you've only read about?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The problem is EVE has some decent depth but is super boring. Elite is really pretty, but it super shallow. X is somewhere in between, with a shitty UI and lack of vision. And then Star Citizen is too big for its own good and is dead to me since adding a stupid FPS module. I need a game that is in the middle. I want to be able to trade and pwn pirates and build up money from humble beginnings, then I want to use that money to build up a huge space empire with mines on planets and trade routes and space stations that I own and are generating me money etc. But then I want to use that money to fight an intergalactic war. Like in Space Rangers 2, you start small, build up, then start strutting about the galaxy in a good ship and doing big trades or taking on big pirates. But then there is an end game objective so the 'building up' doesn't seem like a pointless grind. You have to build up huge and don't give up, because only then will you be strong enough to take on the Dominators who are holding large parts of the galaxy. I love the progression in Space Ranger 2, but I want that with more depth, and not 2d...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The problem is EVE has some decent depth but is super boring.

EVE is extremely exciting and gets the adrenaline pumping until your hands start to shake, but only during PvP (and usually small-gang PvP). The rest of it, or more specifically the industrial side of things, can be interesting but is otherwise pretty boring.

I made an incredible personal fortune in EVE (500bn ISK when I retired in 2012; a very small minority of people were trillionaires by then, especially certain "celebrities," but I was just a regular guy). I made my first small fortune by "day trading" which requires you to do mountains of research, data-gathering, and then suffer through extreme tedium. At the end of my day trading run (interspersed with other activities) I had dozens of billions of ISK, but vowed never to mess around with the game's boring economy again. After that I joined old-school EVE University, was invited to a lowsec pirate corp when I "graduated," and never looked back.

Even PvP has its problems in EVE, though, and that is the waiting period when looking around for gudfites. Before you can even start looking, you've got to get your mates organized, on voice comms, and ready to go. None of this is the end of the world and it's all manageable, but I had my fill of it eventually, the waiting in particular.

Anyway, I taxied up my Terran rep, suffered through navigating Aldrin, and now have my Springblossom fully tuned and outfitted with EEMPCs, shields, missiles, and the Smart Turrets script. I'm off to kill some pirates, Xenon, and Argon:

Last edited:

Thane Solus

Arcane
I have to admit i am not a friend of Blaine, but his impresion of the X Fail is correct. I actually played the game. Adder i wish i had 10000 like you, i would be rich by now. Oh wait, Egosoft had that, hmm....

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Are you high? :lol:

I've been going over the community list of mods/scripts and the subforum, installing some of them sparingly. Bonus scripts are a given and went in right away. I also installed a tiny "mod" that makes the fucking sidebar transparent, as well as Smart Turrets. I vaguely recall using Immersive HUD ages ago.

As for maps, fuck the in-game map. Unless absolutely necessary (for jumping, etc.) I use Scorp's X3 map TC edition, which is a companion program that uses a logfile generated by a script to only reveal sectors and objects you've discovered:

1c9864835d.png

I'm trying to figure out what the fuck the IEX mod is, but the thread I found is a complete fucking mess. It doesn't even have an OP. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=312645&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Edit: Nevermind. When I updated my account info, for some bizarre reason the forum software unchecked various boxes for showing images in posts, signatures, and avatars, which was hiding entire posts from me.

Last edited:

Thane Solus

Arcane
Are you high? :lol:

I've been going over the community list of mods/scripts and the subforum, installing some of them sparingly. Bonus scripts are a given and went in right away. I also installed a tiny "mod" that makes the fucking sidebar transparent, as well as Smart Turrets. I vaguely recall using Immersive HUD ages ago.

As for maps, fuck the in-game map. Unless absolutely necessary (for jumping, etc.) I use Scorp's X3 map TC edition, which is a companion program that uses a logfile generated by a script to only reveal sectors and objects you've discovered:

I'm trying to figure out what the fuck the IEX mod is, but the thread I found is a complete fucking mess. It doesn't even have an OP. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=312645&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Edit: Nevermind. When I updated my account info, for some bizarre reason the forum software unchecked various boxes for showing images in posts, signatures, and avatars, which was hiding entire posts from me.

i see, sorry i was really drunk :))) and lazy to write...:)))

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
... suffered through navigating Aldrin...
I hope you at least use the "Resized Aldrin Big Rock" mod. The game engine doesn't like that big model.

It doesn't matter, because I'll probably never go back. Even with Bounce, AI-controlled Springblossoms are a little derpy due to their extraordinarily high top speed but below-average maneuverability for a corvette. There's also no way on Earth I'd trust the AI with a Pandora-tuned Springblossom.

Spitfyres, on the other hand... aw shit, I WILL have to go back. :dealwithit:

Turjan

Arcane
For in-sector AI control, you have to use something slow. Even Nova Raiders are pushing it.

In only used the Springblossom and the Spitfyre as personal ships.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You can always leave their tunings low, but then you're almost always better off getting something that's already slow in the first place since it'll have more shit to compensate. The real problem with running fast fighters in AP isn't their movement routines but the newly introduced tendency for NPCs to spam missiles, regardless of MDM or anything else.

I may look into that rock mod, but it didn't cause any issues for me while I was in Aldrin.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You found the CUCKS! That abandoned ceptor in East part of Map?

Oh no, far better. It's an M6 corvette from "Unknown Sector" west of Charity's End.

Oh boy, look what I found!

The remains of an angry spike monster?

8031010250.png

Insectoid hive-themed alien ship with beam lasers, but pretty much, yes.

In Albion Prelude, the Kha'ak have been defeated and chased out of known space, but abandoned Kha'ak ships are randomly sprinkled across hidden spots throughout the game. The exact locations are randomized each game, but clearly there's a premade list of potential locations because they're all well hidden.

Thane Solus

Arcane
You found the CUCKS! That abandoned ceptor in East part of Map?

Oh no, far better. It's an M6 corvette from "Unknown Sector" west of Charity's End.

Oh boy, look what I found!

The remains of an angry spike monster?

8031010250.png

Insectoid hive-themed alien ship with beam lasers, but pretty much, yes.

In Albion Prelude, the Kha'ak have been defeated and chased out of known space, but abandoned Kha'ak ships are randomly sprinkled across hidden spots throughout the game. The exact locations are randomized each game, but clearly there's a premade list of potential locations because they're all well hidden.

Oh an M6? thats fucking nice, does it have some of its weapons?:P too much?:P

I thought they were all static spawns, didnt knew about random. Gona put all my sats on alert then:P

Cant wait to trigger some war with Improved Races after i gather some capital, now will probably destroy half of the universe for me...tho i need to do some test and back up saves, to see how it works.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh an M6? thats fucking nice, does it have some of its weapons?:P too much?:P

It came with ten Beta Kyon Emitters, so it has all nine of its frontal guns, but only one turret slot filled (out of 6, I believe). It also came with 10 Thorn missiles.

I may play around with it, because Beta Kyon Emitters are fantastically precise weapons with great range and good damage (of course they also block most of your view, but oh well), but mainly I'll be reverse-engineering it and its weapons later.

Free abandoned ships used to be static, but in Albion Prelude their positions are randomized.

Tabs

Novice
The problem is EVE has some decent depth but is super boring. Elite is really pretty, but it super shallow. X is somewhere in between, with a shitty UI and lack of vision. And then Star Citizen is too big for its own good and is dead to me since adding a stupid FPS module. I need a game that is in the middle. I want to be able to trade and pwn pirates and build up money from humble beginnings, then I want to use that money to build up a huge space empire with mines on planets and trade routes and space stations that I own and are generating me money etc. But then I want to use that money to fight an intergalactic war. Like in Space Rangers 2, you start small, build up, then start strutting about the galaxy in a good ship and doing big trades or taking on big pirates. But then there is an end game objective so the 'building up' doesn't seem like a pointless grind. You have to build up huge and don't give up, because only then will you be strong enough to take on the Dominators who are holding large parts of the galaxy. I love the progression in Space Ranger 2, but I want that with more depth, and not 2d...

Have you tried Litcube's X3AP mod? Adds super-Xenon that aggressively expand and WILL take over the whole map unless you personally stop them.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I had a mod like that, can't remember if that was the one though. I got bored with the trading and stuff though, it took a long time and was boring. I might try it again sometime and use more mods.

i once emptied a sector with 2 alien shipyards and planned to use it as my own one because it was fairly close to some other rich systems. little i knew that those shipyards were respawning, with capitals and stuff. that's been the last time i've ever played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom