Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like it's still early in development, can they stay afloat with the Stillbirth monies (lol) in the mean time?
Stillbirth + expansions is still 60 jewros on steam, they must be selling it to someone.

Perkel

Arcane
Sounds like it's still early in development, can they stay afloat with the Stillbirth monies (lol) in the mean time?

Going by SteamSpy it sold good for X game. Tho it was mostly on release as many people like me preordered it.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
so apparently X-Stillbirth is getting a standalone VR version (adding other things)...

and X3AP and X3TC are getting another patch...

and X4 is officially confirmed! with many flyable ships! yay

source

• Special universe and economy: While based on X Rebirth and Home of Light, the universe and economy of X Rebirth VR Edition are specially designed for a Virtual reality experience. This is also the reason why the games are not savegame compatible.
  • New graphics engine: X Rebirth VR Edition will be the first title by Egosoft to utilise our new in-house development, based on the innovative new Vulkan graphics technology.
  • New content: X Rebirth VR Edition extends the gameplay and universe with new missions to deliver a unique virtual reality experience.
  • Special UI: The user interface of XR VR Edition was specially designed to work entirely as an immersive first person VR cockpit experience.
  • Pace and Balancing: All aspects of the game had to be rebalanced to create the best experience for the VR environment.

Thing that interests me most out of this is the new engine.
Performance is okayish as of now, but not good and not acceptable for the interior Designs.

Also funny seeing them switching Engine again, considering the old X Games all had been built on basically the same old (but over the course heavily modified) Engine. Meant you had been able to find really old remnants in there.

While I cannot say much about its features yet, what I can tell you about it so far is that it will allow you to fly many different ships, it will give you an all-new interface to manage large fleets, and it will give you full freedom when building stations from individual modules.

Please be patient with this and we promise to show some really cool things later in 2017!

Well, that basically all i want (and good Split-Ships).

Depending on the price, i'll probably throw some €urosh€k€ls at the VR Edition (if its playable without Gear) to keep the Company going.
Marketing-wise calling it "Rebirth" again is a stupid move though, that one is burned.

Also:

Changelog for Betapatch for X3 Albion Prelude 3.2:
Some Spanish translations were added.
Some Russian text fixes were made.

yellowgradient.gif

Summary

Version 3.2 RC1

New Features and Improvements:
• Added new script commands and improved modder support.

Fixes:
• Fixed mission-related memory leaks and performance issues.
• Fixed various minor user interface issues.

Fixes from 3.1 not previously listed here:
• Fixed selection of wrong graphics card on systems (particularly laptops) that have dual graphics.\
• Fixed issue with menu performance on systems with particular AMD graphics hardware and driver combinations.

Perkel

Arcane
Holy shit huge news:

X4 in developement !
X:R VR bleh but apperently new Vulcan engine. Which means maybe it will be came upper part of mediacore game as many people finally will be able to play it in more than 30 fps.
X:R 4.10 bleh

X4 being in development is huge news. It means that Berdt was cured from his insanity and they will be doing something that fans want.

X4:

While I cannot say much about its features yet, what I can tell you about it so far is that it will allow you to fly many different ships, it will give you an all-new interface to manage large fleets, and it will give you full freedom when building stations from individual modules.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So everything is 50% off right now. Which X-3 should I get? Or more importantly which one should I start with?

Perkel

Arcane
If you want to try it. X3 Albion Prelude.
If will like it X3: Terran Conflict and install Xtended mod which makes X3 insto one of the best space games ever.

Mind you that you shouldn't go for it as Space opera where you will be doing campaign. Think instead it is sandbox with optional campaign.

Main reason why X3 is so loked is because this is the only game where you can start very small and end up running whole economy + fighting wars with your own strikegroups or even whole fleet.

which has no point other than staring at your own e-peen and it's pretty useless because you can clear a whole xenon infested sector complete with multiple shipyards with a single tiger carrier.
at least these aren't the times of x3 vanilla anymore when you could do the same with a heavy fighter.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Knowing Egosoft, X4 will probably launch in an unplayable state bundled with the most draconian DRM available at the time.

Shit will fail bad, lots of tears and pain, and about an year after release it will get patched into an actually good game. Hopefully this time around it will also run on more than a single thread.

Thane Solus

Arcane
which has no point other than staring at your own e-peen and it's pretty useless because you can clear a whole xenon infested sector complete with multiple shipyards with a single tiger carrier.
at least these aren't the times of x3 vanilla anymore when you could do the same with a heavy fighter.

Also if you have 2 cap or more ships in the system, the pathfinding/collision makes them useless and you watch them die in a fleet battle after 100 hours of game... Still not fixed after so many years in all x3.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ah, good ol' X3: Reunion. Way back in the dark ages of 2006, I built a new PC in no small part to run that game.

Flow of game:

• get fast scout ship and satellites
  • explore and seed known universe with satellites
  • mess around a bit, make some cash
  • initial calibration of auto-trader blacklist and software settings
  • sell scout ship and all other assets, purchase and launch first few auto-traders
  • continue to train up auto-traders and increase their numbers while managing their areas of operation
  • earn ever-increasing tonnage of spacebux
  • reputation with most factions goes through the roof, grants access to their good stuff
  • build factories to fill holes in existing economy
  • later, build factories to produce arms, ships, and materiel
  • build invincible death fleets
  • kill the living fuck out of literally everyone
  • become Emperor of Space

Sadly, actually controlling ships in combat from the cockpit/third-person was always janky and unsatisfying.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah, good ol' X3: Reunion. Way back in the dark ages of 2006, I built a new PC in no small part to run that game.

Flow of game:

• get fast scout ship and satellites
  • explore and seed known universe with satellites
  • mess around a bit, make some cash
  • initial calibration of auto-trader blacklist and software settings
  • sell scout ship and all other assets, purchase and launch first few auto-traders
  • continue to train up auto-traders and increase their numbers while managing their areas of operation
  • earn ever-increasing tonnage of spacebux
  • reputation with most factions goes through the roof, grants access to their good stuff
  • build factories to fill holes in existing economy
  • later, build factories to produce arms, ships, and materiel
  • build invincible death fleets
  • kill the living fuck out of literally everyone
  • become Emperor of Space

Sadly, actually controlling ships in combat from the cockpit/third-person was always janky and unsatisfying.
That's why X2 was the best in the series, no stupid mouse controls. X3 was a decline in most ways apart from graphics.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
X-tension was the expansion of the original game. Brought a lot of the stuff that would end up in the second game (would put "expansions" these days to shame) but not quite the same.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I fired up Albion Prelude for the first time in a long time, Humble Merchant start, sold off the Mercury hauler, and tuned up the Discoverer just so I could fuck around. It's funny how readily it all comes back to you, been years.

Even in a tuned-up Discoverer, I'd forgotten how long it takes to move between stations in this game, SETA or no SETA. The game doesn't even really begin until you have pocket money, a triplex scanner, satellites, and preferably a max-tuned Kestrel just to map the universe.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
That's why it was streamlined to reach a Wider Audience. All that boring trading, building, thinking and all the best parts of the fighting were removed, leaving you to focus on the AKSHUN and AWESUM WORMHOLE MINIGAMES.

Thane Solus

Arcane
That's why it was streamlined to reach a Wider Audience. All that boring trading, building, thinking and all the best parts of the fighting were removed, leaving you to focus on the AKSHUN and AWESUM WORMHOLE MINIGAMES.

And the best UI ever made by man...

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Its called Rebirth, not X4. Chillax.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Another casual who never bothered to read previews and news before purchasing Rebirth. Go cry me a river.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Its called Rebirth, not X4. Chillax.

That's not an excuse for so many steps backward, and no one's buying it—just as no one's buying the actual game.

Another casual who never bothered to read previews and news before purchasing Rebirth. Go cry me a river.

Take a look at the archived previews and descriptions of Rebirth on the EGOSOFT forums, and you'll see that the developers were NOT transparent about their regressive design philosophy pre-release. Go on, we can wait. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=109

Actually, someone is buying the game, yet the Steam sales numbers speak for themselves:

X3:R ................... 387,478 copies owned
X3:TC ................. 581,327
X3:AP ................. 442,080

X:R .................... 215,593

AP requires TC, while R stands apart from both. It's hard to know how many people own vanilla only, expansions only, or both vanilla and expansions, but it's safe to assume that some people own only one set or the other, so we're looking at at least 600,000 discrete copies sold on Steam. Furthermore, all of these games and especially X3:R were released in the days before everyone and their cat used Steam for everything, so it's safe to assume that many non-Steam copies were sold as well. Conservatively, I'd place total sales of X3 and its iterations at around 750,000 copies. Conversely, Stillbirth was released ONLY on Steam, because in 2011 EGOSOFT made Steam mandatory to update Albion Prelude, and they've never budged from their Steam-exclusive policy.

It can be reasonably discerned that the X3 series sold more than three times as many copies over its lifetime than Stillbirth did or ever will, and possibly as much as four times as many copies.

EGOSOFT (an apt name; I've been a member of the EGOSOFT forums for 11 years, and my God, can the developers be some stubborn, arrogant cunts) got greedy, went after the consolebux, failed miserably, then predictably fell flat on their faces when this disaster finally bumbled over the finish line and released for PC. It was good of them to stick with and support Stillbirth for as long as they did, but the time has come to throw it into the rubbish bin.

I assume EGOSOFT have learned their lesson. Sadly, we'll end up having to wait basically an entire fucking decade for X4 thanks to the time and energy they wasted on fucking Stillbirth.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Ive been a member since 1999 and have played through each of their games. Rebirth is good fun. Deal with it. Or play X3 or whatever.

And no Rebirth is not wasted energy, as I am sure they will incorporate many things from it to X4, including the engine most likely.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Ive been a member since 1999

No, you haven't. Nice try, though.

The biggest clue is that you think all of Rebirth's deficiencies were explained to the fan base pre-release. If you in fact did register for the forums eighteen years ago, then you apparently haven't actually read them.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yes I did register since i bought XBTF on day 1.

And plenty of things were explained pre release. Game had a bad start because of bugs and all the shmucks got on the bandwagon. Fans my ass. How dare the company try and make something fresh instead of releasing the same shit for 18 years.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yes I did register since i bought XBTF on day 1.

And plenty of things were explained pre release. Game had a bad start because of bugs and all the shmucks got on the bandwagon. Fans my ass. How dare the company try and make something fresh instead of releasing the same shit for 18 years.

"Plenty of things were explained," you say—failing to indicate which things were actually explained or when. The one and only regressive feature EGOSOFT divulged pre-release was that the player could only pilot one ship.

"Try and make something fresh," you say, but what of substance was added? In what way was any of it fresh? More neon on the space stations? Actual cockpit graphics? Man, that's revolutionary as HELL. Guess you told me! Best of luck actually explaining this baseless claim.

Look, people found the vestigial console development files in Rebirth ages ago. Everyone knows EGOSOFT was gunning for dumbed-down consolebux, and they never so much as hinted that they were consolizing the X series, either. Someone had to do some sleuthing before that cat came out of the bag.

You're just making an embarrassment out of yourself at this point.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Here's an example of something "fresh," folks:

We want to make the game easier to understand by controlling many of the complex things you can do in an X game through conversations.

Instead of dry and hard-to-interpret text menus, you will be talking to people. You will give them commands and they will tell you about their progress - all in the form of conversations.

:lol:

This BioWarean monstrosity is what adddeed is defending, in case you aren't familiar with the actual particulars of Stillbirth. "Reading is teh hard, so we'll simplify it with CONVERSATIONS!".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom