Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Com needs to be a shooter, because times are changing.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, Ray Charles would be a talentless, auto-tuning, sub-human scum (who might let someone else finish) if he came back today, and Azns want more baseball games. That's all according to mr. Christoph Hartmann of 2K games.

Read some more of the incoherent ramblings of a madman here:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/intervie ... mes/082216

Now, I have 2 questions:

First, if no one ever makes proper turn-based strategy games anymore, how would you know whether gamers want them or not?

Second, and perhaps more importantly, how can someone this monumentally retarded be in charge of tying his own shoelaces, let alone a massive, international company?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
He's just trying to provoke us to stir up some controversy and make his shit game interesting for public.
Don't rage. Ignore.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I use the example of music artists. Look at someone old school like Ray Charles, if he would make music today it would still be Ray Charles but he would probably do it more in the style of Kanye West. Bringing Ray Charles back is all fine and good, but it just needs to move on, although the core essence will still be the same.
This shows the retarded line of thinking perfectly. I mean come on what the fucking hell? Fuck what fuck?!? :x

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Don't rage. Ignore.
I will refrain from adding 6 more :x , it's the best I can do.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Baron said:
Zarniwoop said:
First, if no one ever makes proper turn-based strategy games anymore, how would you know whether gamers want them or not?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing

Marketing is based on market reasearch, historical sales figures, etc. So unless they go asking everyone if they want to play a strategy game or not, how would they know? I'm sure there's many more consoletard FPS players out there but surely strategy games can still be made?

Unless they based their ideas on the sales of Civ 5, which weren't great not because it's turn-based, but because it's a mediocre game.

Marobug

What he says: strategy games are not hip anymore.
What he means: strategy games are inherently pc games, and exclusive pc games don't sell as much as multi-platform games.

What I say: Christoph Hartmann is a douche.

Anyway xcom as a pc-exclusive strategy game would never sell much. We've had countless clones, the only thing that would set this one apart from the others would be the xcom name and some extra marketing power, none of which ensure a better game or blockbuster status.

thursdayschild

Educated
I was gonna say he's behind the times because XCOM these days needs to be a cell phone and/or browser game, but reading the article I see he is in touch with Teh Future!

Actually just from reading forum posts on unity3D and gamedev.net from time to time for the lulz I'd really love to find every single person who'd ever made a cell phone or browser game and cut their fingers off and feed them to the dogs.

Wait, I've made browser games. Derp. Well, except myself, of course.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
But this is not just a commercial thing – strategy games are just not contemporary

My favorite quote.

The team behind it is asking themselves every day: ‘Is it true to the values of the franchise?’

Inb4 they announce that the game will have some kind of VATS-lookalike which will add tactical depth never seen in any X-COM game before ;)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
andrzej said:
The team behind it is asking themselves every day: ‘Is it true to the values of the franchise?’

Inb4 they announce that the game will have some kind of VATS-lookalike which will add tactical depth never seen in any X-COM game before ;)
Sorry, they announced this at e3 already.

anus_pounder

Arcane
J_C said:
baronjohn said:
A civ FPS could only be incline for the shitty franchise.
3/10, but just because I replied.

po_girl_l.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
J_C said:
baronjohn said:
A civ FPS could only be incline for the shitty franchise.
3/10, but just because I replied.
Actually Civ FPS would be kick ass. Attacking a roman legionary with a thermal lance, or by an AGL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom