Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Write short "Memorable things you should do in RPG X"

rezaf

Cipher
Diablo 1 limited gold stacks to ... I think 5000 pieces per stack? So having a lot of money would fill up your inventory space rather quickly, but you could just throw it on the ground in Tristram and store it there (back then Diablo had an actual full fledged savegame system in SP).
Since there was no other way to store money, this should be a vivid memory for anyone who played a lot of D1.

Dedup

Augur
Ultima VII: Start the game and reunite with the Avatar's good friend Iolo. Investigate the murder scene. Proceed to throw the bucket of blood found at the scene on Iolo. Have Iolo call you a foul miscreant.

For some reason this always makes me laugh.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Be the last man standing in any long fight in Mount and Blade, and win by sheer balls and a spot of luck.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
fallout 2 get a day pass to vault city by wearing vault suit

... oh, and have sex with miria

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i forgot about that orgy village in arcanum too.

you know that village where you came at the right time and its celebrating its anual orgy party.

goood time, good times.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected

Arcanum:

- The last conversation with Kerghan and getting him to get killed by the Vendigroth Machine.

- Z'an Al'ruin calling Loghaire out on his racism and Magnus - good, old, racist Magnus - standing up to her.

- The impact of helping Maximillian. Still one of my favorite quests. Why couldn't I be part of the revolution, why?

- Fiinishing the game for the first time.

BG1:

First playthrough: I had a high body count of my companions, because on I didn't realise that I could resurrect them.

BG2:

- The rest of the group is smashing Draconis into the ground and then Jan Jansen, useless Jan Jansen, kills him. Goddamnit, Jan.

- Aerie giving birth in the with Mindflayers and Drow infested Dungeon. Could have been worse. Could've been the Copper Corenet.

Bloodlines:

- The endings, oh the endings.

- Killing one SQUAD-Unit with one Mass-Suicide. Like a boss.

Dead State:

Making so much noise as you can and then let the Zombies eat the Biker Gang. Worked like a charm, every time.

Fallout New Vegas:

-
Get every faction out of YOUR Mojave Desert and feeling like the King of the Wasteland.

- Let Yes-Man throw General Oliver down a chasm.

Fallout 2:

So many great moments, but I remember how excited I was, when I got my Power Armour and revisited Metzger in The Den. Going back to the meat market, indeed.

Mask of the Betrayer:

Putting Myrkul to rest. It was ironic, funny and kinda sad at the same time.

Divine Divinity:

Transforming the final boss into an frog and running after him for the whole fight.

Divinity 2:

Running into a burning house and rescuing a baby, which turns out to be a Troll. Apparently love DOES conquer all.

Kotor 2:

The last moment before meeting the new jedi council and Kreia leaning on the old fountain of the Jedi Academy. Talking with her was quite touching, because she seemed to be so tired and sad. It was her most vulnerable moment in the whole game and you really could feel the connection between her and the Exile.

Original Sin (EE):

- Preparing yourself half an hour for the final battle and then killing the last boss with one good Meteor Strike. Well ... that was funny!

- Carrying sixteen oil barrels for the final battle with you, then tossing them aside, because they are useless and THEN lightning them up and covering half of the area wit burning oil and blocking everyone's sight. The punchline: nobody was killed, d'oh.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Fallout 2: So many great moments, but I remember how excited I was, when I got my Power Armour and revisited Metzger in The Den. Going back to the meat market, indeed.
Did you play as a girl and let him take advantage of you or smth? Jeez.

laclongquan

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights 2 Original Campaign: Crossroad Keeps moment
- Your own castle? AWESOME!
- Look at the options to invest your money into rebuild the Keep. Do the math. Get the sinking feeling that your entire fortune in this game gonna get pour into this Keep like a bottomless pit.
- Recruit your very first merchant to the Keep. Check his inventory. Note some peculiarity. Check it again! Hallellujah! 100% merchant with big wallet! I can sell my loots for what it worth!
Generally The Keep provide some fine moments.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Fallout: New Vegas - Slowly uncovering the true secret of vault 11 after piecing together the various computer entries and recordings. Honestly one of my favourite parts in any RPG, made all the more surprising because it's entirely optional. Even figuring out what was happening in the vault is optional, let alone getting to the very end of it and discovering exactly what the people in the first recording were talking about. You could happily complete the game with vault 11 being nothing but "that place with the odd election posters".

Dark souls - Meeting the gaping dragon / beating the capra demon for the first time (YEAH TAKE THAT YOU FUCKER)

Bloodlines - Basically everything as a Malkavian

Fallout 2 - Frank killing off the deathclaws in Vault 13 (nooooo), but then getting Goris to accompany you (yesssss)

MOTB - Managing to unlock the super-duper maximum evil ending with One of Many accompanying you as well

Leisure Suit Larry 6 - Pretty much the whole game. It counts, right? It was very silly, and I was at just the right age to be about as immature as it was. Trying to steal the handcuffs from the guard outside and getting hit by a missile, losing points for not wiping your arse, the ridiculous ending with poorly-digitised fireworks and trains going into tunnels, getting handcuffed and electrocuted but getting a neat sculpture, etc. I remember that game a lot better than I remember, say, Kings Quest.

Ash

Arcane
Morrowind: the feeling of a high degree of freedom and a shitload of game systems to experiment with and master, as well as a massive, interesting handcrafted world to explore at your leisure.
Special mention to when you realize the game is utterly broken and terribly flawed and then subsequently get bored of it before actually completing the game. When the illusion held up and everything was new though, that was a wonderful experience.

Deus Ex: Naturally it's the moment you step out into the Hong Kong Market and start to explore, and you come to the realization that this game is fucking awesome.

Babbies first old school RPG: that first RPG you played when you were a kid in the 80s/90s that was very likely to be adult-oriented, and not designed to cater to very young children or retards. Everything was wonder, astonishment, perilous. A huge mysterious world on a floppy disc/CD/Cartridge. And you had to work at it and understand it for the world to reward you, which is half the fun of a game.

Since somebody mentioned a Japanese console RPG (Dark Souls):

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: discovering a beautiful lake hidden underneath the castle (that exists for reasons unknown, lol) along with the enchanting music. At this point your build has some development and you really get into the game.

Final Fantasy 6: you think it's possibly the end of the game, the bad guy destroys the world/civilization and the game continues with a totally different tone.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I forgot this one:

Deus Ex 1:

The fight against Walton Simmons or the lack thereof. The whole game he is hyped up as this more advanced version of J.C, the best Majestic-12 has to offer and now it is time to see who is best. It turns out, that I was the better one, because I brought a rocket launcher to the party and killed him with one shot. Talk about anticlimatic ...

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Yeah? Vault 11 was such a great piece of quest writing. One of the very few well-done example of the "wacky" (read retarded) vaults experiments concept.

canakin

Cipher
Witcher 3: Tell that annoying cunt Yennefer that you don't love her after dealing with djinn quest.

AoD: Follow Miltiades to his house and buy finally crafted weapons and armor at a discounted price.

Mask of the Betrayer: Slaughter Ice Troll Berserkers in Mulsantir and face the Spirit Badger.

Fallout 2: Kill San Fransisco chink female models with a crit and have their heads blown clean off.

Fallout: Get your eye removed by Doc Morbid.

Fallout 3: Play until the end of opening sequence and uninstall in tears or alternatively play up to Megaton and punch screen so hard that your fist comes out the other end.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I forgot this one:

Deus Ex 1:

The fight against Walton Simmons or the lack thereof. The whole game he is hyped up as this more advanced version of J.C, the best Majestic-12 has to offer and now it is time to see who is best. It turns out, that I was the better one, because I brought a rocket launcher to the party and killed him with one shot. Talk about anticlimatic ...
First time I met him, I did not realize I was fighting anyone special and I had no idea why he was there. It was all very odd and extremely anticlimactic.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Tyranny: At the End of Act 1, I could spared the servant of the voices of Nerat, but that little weasel got so on my nerves over the course of the game, that I kicked him from my new tower. That was fun, but even funnier was that I could salvage his corpse after that. Choice and consequences and all that^^.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Morrowind: finding Fargoths ring and becoming best friends.

Oblivion: reluctantly joining the Dark Brotherhood and not liking killing at first, but then embracing it and then regretting it after I killed my guild mates.

Baldurs Gate: meeting Imoen and talking to her for hours in the woods. Gorion molested her when we were children so I never lamented his death as others here do.

Nwn2: helping Kelgar achieve his dream of becoming a Paladin. Besting the Mossfeld brothers at the Harvest Fair.

Witcher 3: walking in the woods with a torch as the wolves howl and drowners scream. Crafting the best Feline armor and slaying Von Everic (kind of).

Skall

Learned
Torment-2011-04-02-23-42-26-74.jpg
Planescape: Torment -- Still gives me goosebumps delving into the Circle of Zerthimon and realizing the previous incarnation's theological enslavement of a companion.

“This is his gallery. He says that he *knows* you as his canvas. He shows respect to your strength with his admiration.” Dak’kon is silent for a moment. “Then he insults you by giving you his pity.”

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
Dark Souls: First playthrough, getting murdered in the graveyard/catacombs then strolling on down to Valley of the Drakes and running into the ogres near Blight Town and running my ass off as they chased me back to Firelink.

Darklands: Taking down my first Raubritter by fighting his army and then looting his entire force. Using the money from this venture to increase my parties alchemist and priests knowledge.

Ultima 5: The whole Lord Blackthorne executing party members. Realizing the mantra's to the shrines hadn't changed since Ultima 4, and using my notes from that game on this one. Also, note taking, lol, wtf is up with that right?

Morrowind: Finding awesome magical items outside of scripted events/quests. Becoming "immune" to the plague because of an experimental medication. Realizing the game opens with you getting out of prison only to crash at a druggies house (look under Cauis bed ;)) So much for halfway houses, eh Emperor? Vivec and Almalexia; really damn interesting npcs.

Daggerfall: All the political intrigue and factions! The dungeons. Telling quest givers to shove their "Find the bauble" dungeon quests up their asses. Pissing off npcs and then murdering them. Taking out exorbitant loans from various provinces and then gtfo-ing.

Ultima Underworld: Itemization and puzzles. Combat wasn't bad either for what it was. Ruuuuuuuuune magic!

New Vegas: Dead Money, Old World Blues, etc. Some of the best expansions for a game I've ever seen, Bethesda should have been shitting themselves in shame. Also the base game, damn good stuff, C&C at it's finest. Minus that whole bit about the Powder Gangers, and the quest to push them out being tied to having good relations with them at some point. Bleh, whatever.

Skyrim: Dem water textures!!!

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom