Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Write short "Memorable things you should do in RPG X"

Dyspaire

Cipher
The Golden Pantaloons.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Morrowind:
Undress before dirty old Uncle Crassius.
Read "The Lusty Argonian Maid".
Find the Dwemer Puzzle Box.
Find the last Dwarf.
Find out what really happened to the Nevarine all those years ago.
Get Corpus.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Escape from Hell: recruiting Hitler into your party by presenting him with your copy of Mein Kampf:

57-14escape158.png

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Ultima VII:

- Cast armageddon then speak to Balin and Lord British.
- Murder Lord British.
- Take the kid into your party then go talk to the nudist people.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Similarly, Gamespot made some months ago an Elder Scrolls retrospective, and the author - who admits first playing Oblivion - clearly had no idea why people liked (and still like!) Daggerfall. Seriously, he didn't even MENTION its dungeons or character creation!

Daggerfall's dungeons are atrocious, easily the worst in the series. Mind numbingly long, nonsensical designs, useless map and repetitive visuals. It's easily the worst part of Daggerfall.

Declinator

Arbiter
Similarly, Gamespot made some months ago an Elder Scrolls retrospective, and the author - who admits first playing Oblivion - clearly had no idea why people liked (and still like!) Daggerfall. Seriously, he didn't even MENTION its dungeons or character creation!

Daggerfall's dungeons are atrocious, easily the worst in the series. Mind numbingly long, nonsensical designs, useless map and repetitive visuals. It's easily the worst part of Daggerfall.

I am not a particular fan of Daggerfall but what exactly did you think were the good parts if the dungeons weren't it? I mean that is practically the entire game right there. Chargen maybe?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
FO1&2: Wander off in random directions and be surprised of how the games are ready for such choices

VtM: Just play Malkavian and then Nosferatu to see how extremely different two playthroughs can be

JA2: Realise you can create anywhere a point of entrance in enemy bases, if you have the right tools.

BG: Try to kill famous FR characters like Elminster or Drizzt. The second one is doable too. Die you poser !

MrMarbles

Cipher
Icewind Dale 1: First time you wander around Kuldahar and hear one of RPG gaming's best soundtracks

F1:
The Glow

BG2 ToB:
Keldorn's ending

BG1: Emerging from your first proper dungeon crawl near Nashkel and immediately having to fight a party of SJWs in the SE hills

AoD: When you've become an über-assassin, take out a general and his two guards in a single critical strike-sweep

Dragon's Dogma
: Bumping into the first Terminator in a dark tower on lvl 197 of Bitterblack

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gothic 2 : Sabotaging paladins castle in old mines as a mercenary.
Gothic 1-2 : Getting your ass kicked as soon as you step in wrong places.
Planescape Torment : Upgrading Morte's taunt ability by letting him listen some old couple cursing each other for a long time.
Mask of the Betrayer : Just be an evil, soul devouring bastard.
BG2 ToB: save&load easter egg :lol:

Edit: Not an RPG but still a memorable way of problem solving.

Desperados: In one map when you finish the main objective a large number of reinforcements arrive on horses and block your exit.
You can trap the entrance with a goddamn snake, scaring horses to make them drop their riders stuned on the ground for a short tim. Its long enugh to massacre all with just one dynamite though :)

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Darklands had lots of amazing little parts. I loved going to sleep in an odd village and waking up to the peasants trying to kill you for the Glory of Satan. Best of all however was the myriad of options you had for taking on raubritters. I especially loved sieging them when I got a strong enough party. When a very pissed off raubritter came out of his castle in a last desperate attempt to get rid of you it felt as good as any boss fight ever. Someone really should make a remake of that game. I kept hoping that expansion and sequel they mentioned in the manual would ever get made but alas.

Gothic 3 was memorable to me for its massive world. What stuck with me was sneaking into some cave and finding a huge monster sleeping there. I was terrified it would wake up as I tried to backtrack the hell out of there. The Gothic series did wonders in making you feel vulnerable at their start.

Dark Sun had one of the best starts of any rpg. Get thrown in the arena and in between increasingly deadly fights figure out how to escape from the holding pens. Loved what an asshole the showmaster was.

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. Being boarded by a pirate, then repelling them and boarding them in turn. Fighting all the way to their bridge and have their captain surrender. Was the only time that happened in my many hours playing that game.

Jagged Alliance 2 had a lot of moments. Sending the bitch some flowers was an especially good one.

Megatraveller made quite an impression on me when I send my party out of the airlock to the surface of an airless moon. Without equipping space suits. Oops.

Gothic 2 had me witness a lone farmer being randomly killed by some monsters. Later on I returned to the place and found the guy’s grave. Talk about immersive.

Deus Ex made me go absolutely wow when I discovered that I could have saved my brother instead of doing what the game seemed to tell me and run like a bitch.

Veil of Darkness is a pretty great mix of an rpg and adventure game with a Transylvanian horror setting. Figuring out whom of the villagers was the werewolf made for one hell of a scene.

Fallout. In every rpg it is highly important to equip your party with the best equipment possible. Fallout made me question that instinct after I shared around burst fire weapons.

Ultima 7 had me when I took the time to follow an npc around and discovered they actually had a whole life of themselves. Amazed me back then and still something you see only rarely in gaming.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There is no mystical hard to grasp secret to why old games were good. Oblivion just took 30 gameplay mechanics from Morrowind and just threw them away. This kind of thing doesn't need explaining. There are lists of the things that are missing. If people prefer shallower games because they are dim, there is no explanation that is going to convince them otherwise. And it is losing battle anyway because 99% of gamers are dumb and prefer simple crap.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This thread is really cool. Made one on the Watch as well, and tried to make them on reddit & NeoGAF, but those places are just weird... how the hell I STILL can't make a new thread at the GAF?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thread is really cool. Made one on the Watch as well, and tried to make them on reddit & NeoGAF, but those places are just weird... how the hell I STILL can't make a new thread at the GAF?
You got pepe in your name, you're lucky you ain't banned yet for having slt-right origins.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Gothic 1-3:
When the enemies would charge at me and I dived to the left and then hit them a few times in the ass. Then they would charge at me again and I would dive to the left and hit them in the ass a few times. And after several action packed repeats of this, the mob would die. Good times.

Witcher 1-3:
When the enemies would charge at me and I dived to the left and then hit them a few times in the ass. Then they would charge at me again and I would dive to the left and hit them in the ass a few times. And after several action packed repeats of this, the mob would die. Good times.

Dark Souls 1-3:

Arulan

Cipher
Gothic 1: The game tells you through the intro cinematic that you start playing in a prison colony. Okay, another game where you start in prison. Begin the game and you get greeted punched and robbed by some cut-throats, reach the 'safety' of the Old Camp and guards threaten you to pay protection money or else, and meet a seemingly likable guy that leads you to an ambush to murder you. All this in the first hour. Fuck, this is a prison.

Gothic 1: Refuse to pay protection money to the Old camp guards. Next time you leave, a lowly aspirant wanting to join the camp ambushes you outside and beats you up within an inch of your life as a lesson, also robs you for good measure, nothing against you he's just using this to get favor with the guards and climb the ladder faster than you. (Yes this again)

I'm currently playing Gothic and this moment is fantastic. What happened to me was that I managed to start running just before getting brutally murdered and lured all three into a group of bloodflies down the road. Two quickly turned around and fled. The last one, the one who had let me into the ambush, got attacked nearly to death, at which point he appeared to give up and tell me why he had ambushed me. A few days later I come across a miner within the walls of the Old Camp who approaches me to tell me how my decision not to pay has burdened the community, and then proceeds to attempt to murder me. I expect to be surprised again.

I put it up. I believe you have to reach 100 posts to do so. It can take a while...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ultima VII:

- Take the kid into your party then go talk to the nudist people.

One further on this: Visit Yew and either read most books and records there, or talk to people in Yew to learn the truth about the nudists. Then, when visiting the nudists, ask "Are you from Yew?" (Do this last.)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

I am not a particular fan of Daggerfall but what exactly did you think were the good parts if the dungeons weren't it? I mean that is practically the entire game right there. Chargen maybe?

Character system is pretty good. It's also cool that you can do all sorts of things like climb walls or "talk" to monsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom