Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Write short "Memorable things you should do in RPG X"

Parsifarka

Arcane
The firsts that come to my mind:

Might & Magic II: finding hundreds of orcs in the forest -dying.

Might & Magic World of Xeen: walking over the clouds, teleporting beyond the end of the world, accidentally discovering Shangri-La, flying on a Griffin towards Sheltem's castle, rebuilding your own fortress... Wonderful.

Might & Magic VI: flying and showering enemies with meteors... Perhaps the most amazing experience in a videogame. The feeling of freedom and power it grants is unsurpassed.

Wizardry 7: being greeted by the blonde driver of a space sports car.

Morrowind: murdering entire towns without being noticed and trafficking with skooma. That's freedom.

Mount & Blade: build up your army. Steal. Burn. Massacre. Siege castles.

Hard to be a God: finding laser guns. Having to climb the most boring mountain three times to finish a wicked quest.

The Bitcher: collect every single sex card.

Grimoire: you can ride turtles.

Rev

Arcane
Gothic: setting foot in the Old Camp for the first time, be at the very bottom of the hierarchy and then slowly rising to the top, getting the respect of everybody and beating the shit out of those who tried to take advantage of your previous low status. There's just no other game that gave so much value to rising up in the ranks and growing from a shit-tier character to a skillful warrior or mage like Gothic. The game is also filled with so many other moments, like the first encounter with a shadow beast, dying miserably and then coming again ten levels later to kill the fucker, or the first journey through the forest to reach other camps/locations and having to be extremely careful to avoid any danger (basically every monster except molerats and scavengers).

Baldur's Gate 2: obtaining Carsomyr, Croem Faeyr and those great items; the mage battles; defeating Firkraag and the dragons; trying new builds and testing their efficiency.

Mask of the Betrayer: the conversation with Myrkul; giving in to the curse and unleashing its powers on everyone who stand in your way and that evil ending, really one of the few games where being evil wasn't punished by the game but instead was more rewarding and "epic" than following the good path.

KotOR: using Force Choke on that Czerka jerk in the Tatooine cantina to teach him some respect, and noticing the terror in his eyes every time you meet him afterwards.

Fallout: finding that fucking water chip; "winning" the game using your logic to show the enemy boss the fallacies in his masterplan; playing with a low-Int char and having a completely different experience.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines: the haunted house mission; starting a new game as a Malkavian and see new, weird situations like the "conversation" with the TV or with the stop sign, and also different dialogues with any characters.

Age of Decadence: exploring the Abyss and "speaking" with its inhabitant; convincing a preacher to be the messenger of the gods and getting recognized because of it later; creating a war machine character capable of surviving the toughest battles and oponents; gathering the right equipments throughout the course of the game and be able to ascend at Al-Akia.

The Witcher 3: the Bloody Baron questline; the drinking contest between Geralt and his witcher friends at Kaer-Mohren; the wedding and Olgierd's wife quests from HoS.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Definitely this one.

Now I understand why you hate Fallout.:M

And speaking of Fallout its just full of these moments as others have mentioned. For me a big one was the first time I accidently agreed to go with the super mutants from Necropolis to the end game base. That just blew my mind that the game was so 'anti linear'.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll just go out here, not the "greatest moments in games" but just things that stuck with me:

* Phantasie 1: Kill Zeus or a deity
* Ultima 4: Lose and eighth by fucking up an answer "Hast thou always not been honest?" also find Skara Brae and realize it has nothing to do with the Bard's Tale.
* Ultima 4: Read the Book of History. (No, really! Read the Book of History!)
* Ultima 7: Kill Lord British
* Ultima 7: Cast Armageddon
* Play Legend of Grimrock as... that guys bones you find... ugh... I did it...
* Play the first half of Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader and wonder what might have been
* MM6 - Evil party/lich! Never saw something like that coming and it moved the game to another level
* Morrowind - Kill Vivec
* Wasteland - Kill Scorpitron/get red ryder bb gun (and feel like shit.)

laclongquan

Arcane
No one notice Malkavian hivemind madness? Play as Malk, use obfuscate, moving into and out of shadows. At some point there's going to be some whisperssssssss. Pity I dont play Obfuscated Malk much because I want to watch ass weaving, but that's why I notice that strange point~!

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Instead of putting the Golgo 13 cartridge in the NES I accidentally put my dick in it. It was a lot of fun. Wait, was this supposed to be about rpgs? I think Golgo 13 is considered an rpg now because it had dialogue, and swimming, and underwater mines.

Anyone remember the game where you have a truck/tank thing and it could jump really high and shoot straight up? You could also get out and do things too. I stick my dick in the cartridge of that game.

I was really into my dick and sticking it in different things when I had the old NES. I would play track & field with the ground pad thing but for the running event I would get down on all fours and run with my fists. That helped me win real nice and good.

I also remember when I was younger always wanting to go to my cousin's house because he had an Atari. I always wanted to play Spider-Man but he used to hide it on me because he thought it sucked. Sometimes he would let me watch him play it. He was like 10 years older than me and he tried to get me to let him put his penis in my mouth once. I did not like that one bit.

Mozg

Arcane
Fallout 1: Don't reload when companions die. They're ablative armor, not Bioware video game best friends.

Yes, even the dog.

laclongquan

Arcane
Silent Storm, SS Sentinel, and Hammer & Sickle: either use multiple shooters with identical rifles (so firing moments are nearly the same) or a heavy machinegunner fire bursts on a target. Watch ragdoll physic make it dance baybae~
UFO Aftershock and UFO Afterlight: also same vein, shoot the target at correct moment to have them fly one way or another. Even if you dont try to, during the many battles you should see at least one example of that~

Top mark if you can make it fly all the way to the map border, or upward to the screen.

Last edited:

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Arcanum: getting conjure spirit by mistake, and realizing it only after having saved. Then trying it out on Professor James' body, and spending the next hours murdering absolutely everybody and trying conjure spirit on their bodies to see if there was any extra content.

Delterius

Arcane
Morrowind: use a faulty scroll of magical super jumping to reach the ending in 4 minutes and kill the final boss.

Dragon's Dogma: ride a vicious Ogre until it jumps on its back to kill you, only to fall to its demise in a several stories plunge.

Baldur's Gate 1: converse with a travelling bard near the remains of an ancient bridge. He tells you the legend of a group of knights betrayed so that when you find their spirits later on, you may deliver them to their rest.

Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal: stop time to summon a genie of the lamp to restore your energies so that your projected alter ego may call down the fury of falling stars upon a prince of the Nine Hells.

Arcanum: piece together various legends and historical works from the professors of the world's most prestigious university to uncover secrets of ancient gods, their shrines scattered throught the world and their rituals lost to living memory. But still be duped by a bunch of fucking gnomes.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines: become part and completely break the complex web of alliances and inimities of the petty supernatural monsters which rule Los Angeles' night. Have polite conversation with a Stop sign over personal boundaries.

Grimoire: ride a turtle.

Temple of Elemental Evil: have fun creating a party capable of muder-pillaging the whole town of Hommlet the moment the irritatingly dubbed town drunk rubs your very soul the wrong way.

Age of Decadence: bullshit everything and everyone, live the chaotic neutral way of life.

Divinity Original Sin: put a lot of barrels inside barrels inside barrels so that the barrelplosion destroys your enemies.

Crusader Kings 2: use your father's bedridden state to have your brother executed and make sure to pin the blame on dad. Ascend the throne and unite the realm once your vengeful mother takes on matters with her own hands using a pillow.

Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of the Betrayer: survive a curse that may yet consume the souls of all around you. Rein it in or revel in it to become a blight upon the realms. Eat the dead God Myrkul's soul.

Shadowrun Dragonfall: infiltrate the dystopic world's greatest, most vicious and most powerful corporation and fight or fool your way through their security in order to blow the building's generator and bring it all down.

Arx Fatalis: ensure an audience with the stubborn goblin king by baking him a pie full of laxatives, forcing the dumb bastard to open the throne room and run to the bathroom. No quest arrows.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

• Play the Mass Effect series three or four times making different choices on the way to experience the different outcomes of the Tuchanka/Krogan story arc.
  • Die in Jade Empire (at that one plot-critical point).
  • Do the evilest things you can think of in Mask of the Betrayer, and still be shocked at what the writers came up with.
  • Play Arcanum as Inspector Gadget. Experience the glory of scouring the world for schematics and dumpster-diving for components.
  • Conversation with the pool of blood in Blood Legacy... as a priest of Skaen.
  • Discover three different ways to kill Firkraag in five rounds or less.
  • Wake up in the Mortuary.
  • Rise through the ranks of House Telvanni. Then contract vampirism.
  • Go to Hell and redeem Aribeth.
  • Talk the Master out of it.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Pool of Radiance: learn of an auction of magical items in a city sector inhabited by monsters; disguise the party as monsters and enter the infamous Podol Plaza, interact carefully, learn of important secrets, and even participate in the auction.

Darklands: Think you have already seen all the game elements and mechanics working, then suddenly get trapped in a snowstorm, having to dig a refuge to survive. When you finally come out, the world map is all white. Smile.

Darklands: Think you have already seen all the game elements and mechanics working, go to sleep in a village in the middle of the forest, as you did countless times before. But wake up in midnight as they try to kill you: they're all devil worshippers.

Darklands: Think you have already seen all the game elements and mechanics working. Just as you often do, assign your alchemist to spend the whole day brewing potions at the inn. Critically fail and blow the inn to bits.

Daggerfall: accidentally get into a killing spree of villagers, be caught, sentenced, and imprisoned. Just when you get out and are about to reload a previous save, be contacted by the Dark Brotherhood. Smile.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS TRACKUNG DOWN THW FLYING CARPET IN ULTIMA 5 THEN CRUISING OVER SWAMPS AND SHIT

FINISHING GENEFORFE AND AVERNUM BOTH GAMES DID GREAT AT TELLING A COMPLETE STORY OVER THE SERIES

MY FAVORITE META GAME OF SLAUGHTERING ENTIRE TOWNS MOST SATISFYING IN ULTIMA 5 BUT FALLOUT AND MORROWINF WERE FUN MM6 WAS THE EASIEST

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic 1: The game tells you through the intro cinematic that you start playing in a prison colony. Okay, another game where you start in prison. Begin the game and you get greeted punched and robbed by some cut-throats, reach the 'safety' of the Old Camp and guards threaten you to pay protection money or else, and meet a seemingly likable guy that leads you to an ambush to murder you. All this in the first hour. Fuck, this is a prison.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Might and Magic 7 - when I realized I can destroy every living thing in the entire map just by casting Armageddon from a single spot. I couldn't believe that I can actually do something like that in an RPG.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gothic 1: Refuse to pay protection money to the Old camp guards. Next time you leave, a lowly aspirant wanting to join the camp ambushes you outside and beats you up within an inch of your life as a lesson, also robs you for good measure, nothing against you he's just using this to get favor with the guards and climb the ladder faster than you. (Yes this again)

baturinsky

Arcane
Daggerfall: Ride the horse in the night sky over the Daggerfall.
Any TES: make a spell and/or potion and/or enchantment that trivialises the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom