Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Discussion in 'What Remains' started by Surf Solar, Mar 31, 2011.

1. EGgender: ⚧ Nullified

EG
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I want to believe . . .

^ Top  
  2. General Maxsongender: ⚧ Arcane

General Maxson
    Parrots:
    You certainly have at least graphical talent bro. I hope you finalize something and we (and the world) get to play it. Maybe it starts your successful career, if you're interested in that, because you get noticed for you talent.

^ Top  
  3. Jim the Dinosaurgender: ⚧ Arcane

Jim the Dinosaur
    Parrots:
    where's my demo?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:

I would ask but Surf Solar hasn't been answering my pms for months, even the ones unrelated to the demo. I think he doesn't think I'm a bro anymore. Maguou.

I blame liberals.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Surf Solargender: ⚧ cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Dont worry. Game still sleeps on my HD. But I want time to invest in the bugreports etc. Right now, I barely have time for the codex, its when I just want to read some shit.
    Unfortunately I don't know when my situation remedies.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. rusianogender: ⚧ Novice

rusiano
    Parrots:
    Hey, Surf how are you? I hope you remember that we wait for this epic game same as Van Buren on FOnline Engine. :) With your game there will be 2 singleplayer projects. ;)

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Ninjerkgender: ⚧ Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:
    The ultimate lurk.

^ Top  
  8. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    I hope you're still working on this Surf Solar, shit looked promising when you were posting screens and asking questions on NMA back on '09/'10

^ Top  
  9. EGgender: ⚧ Nullified

EG
    Parrots:

^ Top  
  10. Surf Solargender: ⚧ cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Unless Bethesda Lawyers suddenly stopped caring and changed their minds, I can't release anything sadly.
    I did work on changing all the fallout specific graphics, sounds etc. but I guess you can imagine my motivation is pretty low having to change all that stuff I love. That's why work stopped to a crawl and there are no new updates.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    Wait, what? What happened?

^ Top  
  12. Grim Monkgender: ⚧ Arcane

Grim Monk
    Parrots:
    Seconding agris

Surf Solar
    Some clarification would be nice...

^ Top  
  13. Surf Solargender: ⚧ cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    I got a C&D letter from Bethesda last year not to release the game as long as there is anything fallout related in it.
    That this is a fanproject and would have been released for free anyway apparently didn't matter.

^ Top  
  14. Grim Monkgender: ⚧ Arcane

Grim Monk
    Parrots:
    Oh...
    Okay then...

Thanks for giving my "Glittering Gem" another polish Bethesda.

^ Top  
  15. Klariongender: ⚧ Arcane

Klarion
    Parrots:
    there's hundreds of mods based on Fallout 1 and 2 out there, never heard anyone getting sued for that. Why are you scared of being sued by Bethesda?

^ Top  
  16. GarfunkeLgender: ⚧ Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Parrots:
    Because he had actual Fallout art assets in the game. That's the difference.

^ Top  
  17. agrisgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    That is some shit.
    Surf Solar did you consider going the BGtutu / BWP route and just writing a snippet of install script that extracts the art you need from a user's install of F1/2, avoiding the need to distribute copyrighted material? I think there are command line unpack / extract / repack utilities for the fallout .dat files, this is how killap massages Fallout 2 for his patches.

^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Ninjerkgender: ⚧ Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:
    Does Fonline have a license to do what they've been doing with Fallout assets? Are they developing it in a country where they can't be touched by IP laws?

^ Top  
  19. shihonagegender: ⚧ You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    This has always been my concern about blatantly Fallout-influenced projects. If it's not the graphics, they could latch on to similarities in setting. Who knows?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Kaucukovnikgender: ⚧ Arbiter

Kaucukovnik
    Parrots:
    I hate the whole concept of creative content being owned by people who don't give a fuck about it. Unfortunately, the industry is set up in a way that if you don't play along, you financially cripple yourself big time, more than most can handle.

And creators who are aware of this problematic are very serious about keeping all rights for themselves.
    One example would be Frank Zappa. Fellow musicians often criticized him for being a fascist in the studio/on tours, but they didn't realize he was backing it all with his own money, rather than letting a publisher decide what happens with the music. He carried all the weight, so he was the one making demands - and the demands were of artistic nature, not commercial.

Kickstarters are not really a solution, you just replace investors by backers who expect you to be their bitch and fulfill every wish, no matter how inconsistent the result would be. Who are you to refuse a $100 backer who wants to be a dragon?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Ninjerkgender: ⚧ Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:
    I don't know that individual backers have that power until one of them inevitably sues a KS.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. rusianogender: ⚧ Novice

rusiano
    Parrots:
    Lol, so why Bethesda doesn't say anything aganist FOnline servers? :P You don't use Fallout engine, you use FOnline engine which is created by cvet & his devs so why the bethsitta f*ck to you??! :(

^ Top  
  23. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    IIRC FOnline was given specific permission by Interplay (at the time Interplay owned the Fallout IP). That is why they are fine.

^ Top  
  24. shihonagegender: ⚧ You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Parrots:
    Bubbles In Memoria
    As long as they wear a sign on their sleeve and stay in public view at all times

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    How come Van Buren project never got hit with a C&D, then? Seems sorta unfair to ole Surf Solar.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)