Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I got a C&D letter from Bethesda last year not to release the game as long as there is anything fallout related in it.
That this is a fanproject and would have been released for free anyway apparently didn't matter.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Oh...
Okay then...

Thanks for giving my "Glittering Gem" another polish Bethesda.

Klarion

Arcane
there's hundreds of mods based on Fallout 1 and 2 out there, never heard anyone getting sued for that. Why are you scared of being sued by Bethesda?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I got a C&D letter from Bethesda last year not to release the game as long as there is anything fallout related in it.
That this is a fanproject and would have been released for free anyway apparently didn't matter.
That is some shit.
Because he had actual Fallout art assets in the game. That's the difference.
Surf Solar did you consider going the BGtutu / BWP route and just writing a snippet of install script that extracts the art you need from a user's install of F1/2, avoiding the need to distribute copyrighted material? I think there are command line unpack / extract / repack utilities for the fallout .dat files, this is how killap massages Fallout 2 for his patches.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Does Fonline have a license to do what they've been doing with Fallout assets? Are they developing it in a country where they can't be touched by IP laws?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
This has always been my concern about blatantly Fallout-influenced projects. If it's not the graphics, they could latch on to similarities in setting. Who knows?

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
I hate the whole concept of creative content being owned by people who don't give a fuck about it. Unfortunately, the industry is set up in a way that if you don't play along, you financially cripple yourself big time, more than most can handle.

And creators who are aware of this problematic are very serious about keeping all rights for themselves.
One example would be Frank Zappa. Fellow musicians often criticized him for being a fascist in the studio/on tours, but they didn't realize he was backing it all with his own money, rather than letting a publisher decide what happens with the music. He carried all the weight, so he was the one making demands - and the demands were of artistic nature, not commercial.

Kickstarters are not really a solution, you just replace investors by backers who expect you to be their bitch and fulfill every wish, no matter how inconsistent the result would be. Who are you to refuse a $100 backer who wants to be a dragon?

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I hate the whole concept of creative content being owned by people who don't give a fuck about it. Unfortunately, the industry is set up in a way that if you don't play along, you financially cripple yourself big time, more than most can handle.

And creators who are aware of this problematic are very serious about keeping all rights for themselves.
One example would be Frank Zappa. Fellow musicians often criticized him for being a fascist in the studio/on tours, but they didn't realize he was backing it all with his own money, rather than letting a publisher decide what happens with the music. He carried all the weight, so he was the one making demands - and the demands were of artistic nature, not commercial.

Kickstarters are not really a solution, you just replace investors by backers who expect you to be their bitch and fulfill every wish, no matter how inconsistent the result would be. Who are you to refuse a $100 backer who wants to be a dragon?
I don't know that individual backers have that power until one of them inevitably sues a KS.

rusiano

Novice
Unless Bethesda Lawyers suddenly stopped caring and changed their minds, I can't release anything sadly.
I did work on changing all the fallout specific graphics, sounds etc. but I guess you can imagine my motivation is pretty low having to change all that stuff I love. That's why work stopped to a crawl and there are no new updates.

Lol, so why Bethesda doesn't say anything aganist FOnline servers? :P You don't use Fallout engine, you use FOnline engine which is created by cvet & his devs so why the bethsitta f*ck to you??! :(

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
IIRC FOnline was given specific permission by Interplay (at the time Interplay owned the Fallout IP). That is why they are fine.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
so what's the deal?

You can not distribute ANY assets at all from any Fallout game period. That is Cease and Desist faster than you can say r00fles!

You CAN use the FOnline engine and make 100% of your own original artwork/sounds etc... as long as you are not using ANYTHING from the original Fallout games, you are actually OK (for the most part).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What about the whole requiring the original CD files thing? Does that work?

Yes. Like the Exult people did, they made their own engine that requires the original game to be installed (of note, and why they are not shut down is they DO NOT have ANY of EA's copyrighted artwork/sounds etc... in any of the Exult distribution downloads. Just the engine and tools that manipulate the original files). It uses all of the original art/sounds etc... but they manipulate those files with external programs to work with their own proprietary engine.

THAT is the ONLY 100% way you will not get a C&D letter from a Publisher. For the most part anyways....

Lexx

Cipher
Strange. We worked on FOnline since years, and never did anyone from Bethesda ever contacted us. They sure as hell know that the game and all the other stuff existed, yet they never cared. We even had some butthurt players who got their characters banned for cheating to write mails to Bethesda, and the only answer they got was something along the lines of "it's not our shit kthxbye".

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Surf Solar just lied so he doesn't have to work on his game so he can go skating and drink foreign beer.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Strange. We worked on FOnline since years, and never did anyone from Bethesda ever contacted us. They sure as hell know that the game and all the other stuff existed, yet they never cared. We even had some butthurt players who got their characters banned for cheating to write mails to Bethesda, and the only answer they got was something along the lines of "it's not our shit kthxbye".

IIRC FOnline was given specific permission by Interplay (at the time Interplay owned the Fallout IP) to use any of the games assets. That is why they are fine.

Lexx

Cipher
We were in contact with Interplay, but I don't see how that would influence Bethesda. Besides, I've just asked cvet and there was never any specific permission or similar.

valcik

Arcane
Oh shit this is a bad piece of news. I'm waiting for this mod for ages! Looks like Todd and Pete are afraid that Surf Solar's freelancer work could be way better than their AAA high-poly shit.

:hearnoevil: :gumpyhead:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm simply taking everything fallout related off of it. That should do the trick :)
Why not rip the assets you need from the users' Fallout 1/2 CDs/installation directories? It seems like such a simple solution that lets you continue development.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thats what I was doing before anyway - master and critter.dat was needed from the user :)

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thats what I was doing before anyway - master and critter.dat was needed from the user :)
Then fuck the Beth lawyers and keep on developing WR!

I wouldn't care if it didn't look so promising. Don't give up on your dreams, man!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom