Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Destroid

Arcane
Pony King said:
I'd guess at the coarse fabric in the first picture and the dirty paper in the second is what makes it look "western-y". Also looks much better than most of the stuff people try to make.

edit: If it's supposed to look more modern you'll probably have to look for more modern equivalents of the elements that you have in your picture. I can't remember seeing fabric that coarse, ever.

How can you go through life never seeing hessian?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you want to have something to look mass-printed but without use of modern tech maybe try to make it like http://www.sw.org.pl/techniki.html. Stuff you have now (like the gun) looks sharp and well printed. Reduce detail, add some noise to the dark parts, add some bleed of dark to bright parts.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
Well in terms of gameplay, it's a lot of "western" setting, as in strongest guy survives, absolutely no law, frontier-area, no currency, no order, people trying to come by and such - much more like Fallout.

Fallout had all that? I guess I never noticed beyond all the bottle caps, Vault Cities, super mutants acting as Sheriffs etc. :?

deuxhero

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
Ok, so please explain the difference between Gender and Sex to me ( a non native speaker) - this would've been sorted out later anyway by my proofreaders, but I am interested in the reasoning anyway...

The sexes (male and female) are the two divisions in which many organisms are placed, based upon their reproductive role. The genders (masculine and feminine) refer to social characteristics (such as behavioral norms) associated with males and females, respectively. To illustrate: facial hair is a male characteristic, while courage is a masculine characteristic in many cultures.

As such "gender" is a bad choice because it implies more than is needed about the PC, a no-no for a cRPG.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yaar Podshipnik said:
If you want to have something to look mass-printed but without use of modern tech maybe try to make it like http://www.sw.org.pl/techniki.html. Stuff you have now (like the gun) looks sharp and well printed. Reduce detail, add some noise to the dark parts, add some bleed of dark to bright parts.

Thanks for that link! And yeah, that gun is just a placeholder, looks too clean. Righto!

Hobo Elf said:
Fallout had all that? I guess I never noticed beyond all the bottle caps, Vault Cities, super mutants acting as Sheriffs etc.

Nope, it didn't really have that, my formulating the sentence was poorly chosen. ;) I meant, that my mod will feel like that more, then it was in the original Fallout titles.

As for actual editing the interface, worked a bit today again.. But I don't know why, I always end up with this "western" theme. :x I mean it's not that I don't like it (I like it a lot), but... bleh. Something feels wrong there.

talkenlu.png

Last few nodes are (obviously) just placeholders.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
As the engine is already written and all the necessary stuff is much easier to edit then it is in plain Fallout2modding, it is very likely, yes. :D

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
villain of the story said:
I love it. And it looks more noir (despite the colour) than western.

Thats what i thought at first glance at the menu shot.

Anyway, looks good. Keep up the good work and all that.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yeah, I've tried some different fonts, which look more like handwriting, but they always ended up looking like comic sans (you don't want comic sans :lol: ) and too cartoon-y.

talks8fy.png

Even though I really like that font (the Noir-like one) I get what you mean. The day I finally finish the interface and can concentrate on the rest of the maps and dialogs will be truely a glorious day. :D Feeling totally insane looking at wooden panels all day long. :x

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Looks good.

Go for an old style typing font.

I want a chaingun-wielding coffin named Django as a follower.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ghostdog said:
Looks good.

Go for an old style typing font.

I want a chaingun-wielding coffin named Django as a follower.

Yeah I was thinking something like an old typewriter like font might be cool.

Needles

Scholar
istockphoto_7828356-worn-spiral-notebook.jpg

How about some spirals in there?

That's just nitpicking though - looks great!

:salute:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So, how do you plan on selling it?

As someone also dependent on preexisting, copyrighted graphics assets, I have a vested interest in this topic.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Selling? I am quite puzzled and tend to tell it's a "game" not a "mod", but basically it is just a mod. It's background is still rooted in the fallout universe, although my style and imagination how the world looks is popped on. People still need to have a Fallout 2 disc, for some of the graphics (although I am trying very hard to replace old ones with new ones to minimize the need of od game files). Also, we're just two people working on, one scripter (a very good one though), and me, writing everything and doing the "art" and interface stuff. Only some proofreaders later on too. There is just no way this can be made into a commercial game, and quite honestly I don't even want that, as I go with the "By gamers for gamers" style. ;) No need to sell anything, I do this as my hobby.

I've done some editing today aswell, here's the journal (as for stuff written there, just made that up as placeholder, it's no actual game content). There is still stuff missing, especially at the left hand side, hm.

pipmqa6.png

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Surf Solar said:
Selling? I am quite puzzled and tend to tell it's a "game" not a "mod", but basically it is just a mod. It's background is still rooted in the fallout universe, although my style and imagination how the world looks is popped on. People still need to have a Fallout 2 disc, for some of the graphics (although I am trying very hard to replace old ones with new ones to minimize the need of od game files). Also, we're just two people working on, one scripter (a very good one though), and me, writing everything and doing the "art" and interface stuff. Only some proofreaders later on too. There is just no way this can be made into a commercial game, and quite honestly I don't even want that, as I go with the "By gamers for gamers" style. ;) No need to sell anything, I do this as my hobby.

Garry's mod is a mod, but he sells it. Anyway, I was just curious.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Just don't want to summon Bethesda (or however holds the rights to the Fallout1/2 games) etc. ;)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Typewriter fonts are usually monospaced, which I personally often find advantageous.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Some random PC ( ? not sure yet, as it sounds a bit too badass) lines recorded ... You can listen to them at 1:15 in the video. As for the rest, I tried to capture actual ingame shots, but my PC can't handle that. :roll: So you gotta listen to ambient sfx from the very first location plus some random shots popped on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDQL76GYGM

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom