Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Most of the stuff is almost finished, need to do some new renders for new inventory item icons etc. - then all we need is to wait for the FOnline folks to finish the most crucial animations and we are set. :salute:

gsdr7sgc.png

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Since we decided to not use the old 2d sprites but render the 3d models of them instead in realtime, it's been great progress with new armors, items and so on. The only thing slowing everything a bit down is the current small size of people working on it (basically only me and Luther Blisset, the talented artist you can put your praises on for the armor ;) ) and the thing that not all needed animations for the critters are finished. But I am not in a hurry, so I can wait :) I would do them myself but I SUCK at animations...

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thanks! Will direct the kind words directly to Luther. :)

Keep in mind though that the characters ingame will look much smaller, like this:
1l7sro.png

You can still zoom in if you want to view your different equipment slots for armor on hands, boots, etc.

One idea I had while playing JA2 again today, would some kind of camouflage kits work in the game? Simply altering the texture while the camo kit is in use is no problem, I am thinking more of a gameplay effect. What would the effect be - some +points to sneak? Or a malus for Perception for the enemies?

oscar

Arcane
There should come a point in development where you simply go "No more new ideas. This is it and we're sticking to it and we're going to actually complete the damn thing". It's very easy to sink into never-ending development if you keep going around altering things and implementing new ideas.

I don't know how applicable this is to your situation but it is an easy trap to sink into and then real-life intervenes or the developer loses interest and we never see get anything actually damn playable for all those years of effort and development.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That's very true, at some point there needs to be some "feauture stop", yep. But that's why I am already releasing a demo before the actual game, for the final game there are much more feautures planned than I already have. In the end, I make the game how I want it to be like, since aside from some pre-kickstarter game I am helping with and What Remains I doubt I will ever do another game, I want it to be good. That's why I take my sweet time. :)

Here is some visual effect I experimented with the camouflages, it is actually fairly easy to do, but I need to tweak the brightness and visibility of it. (dont mind the white border, thats just due to my crappy gif program)

camoq9qle.gif

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I like that stealth effect.

Thanks! Finished my first batch of weapon 3d models I need for UI icons etc.

Here is a higher tech weapon I am sure some people know from real life (it will look different in the game)

sdasd5xfi4.png

Hey Surf, I've heard you're getting back on track, need any more material? Hit my inbox if you need anymore stuff!

:bro:

I'm in actually a need of some minor descriptions for armor items (military/police issue) that haven't been there in Fallout 1/2 etc. Will drop you a PM over the course of the week! :)

So, where's that PM?

Also, nice armor. The gun is cool too, I assume its a alternate weapon based on it? (like Fallout 2's Bozar is a Barret?)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Only 12 animation files missing for the hero animations, then I can finally release the demo. :love:

a.png

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Aside from incorporating some newer engine feautures (our build is quite outdated) which I can do right now actually (thanks for reminding me!) I am still waiting for some missing animation files I need from other artists. Also, I am probably at my 928452894811th iteration of the GUI, I always find something to nag about, hehe. I just don't want such a fiasco with the (too early) demo build from last time, so no idea when I can put it up. Before summer I hope. :)

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
There comes a moment when you have to make the harsh decision to stop iterating and just release something. At first endless iteration seems like a virtue and a sign of refined taste, but then you end up actually NEVER arriving to the point of release, always adding more tasks to do, because it's ALWAYS a work in progress, it ALWAYS can be better, oh you just want to add one more dog animation because it would make the village seem more alive or whatever and then it just will never end.

IMO.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yep, that is very much true, but keep in mind I just do this for fun, not to sell it. ;) Also, what else am I gonna do if I am in the mood to work on something while I have to wait for other stuff? As said, these are crucial animations for the basic "hero" critter, so... ;)

Lorica

Educated
Aside from incorporating some newer engine feautures (our build is quite outdated) which I can do right now actually (thanks for reminding me!) I am still waiting for some missing animation files I need from other artists. Also, I am probably at my 928452894811th iteration of the GUI, I always find something to nag about, hehe. I just don't want such a fiasco with the (too early) demo build from last time, so no idea when I can put it up. Before summer I hope. :)

Thanks!

If you need someone to poke them with sharp sticks, give us a ring!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Damn it Surf Solar, stop fucking old ladies and release your demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom