Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Discussion in 'What Remains' started by Surf Solar, Mar 31, 2011.

1. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Yes, but it is ultimately a cosmetic touch.

^ Top  
  2. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Some kind of concept I did a while ago for some junkyard/nightclub mixture.

[​IMG]

I eventually scrapped the design because it reminded me too much of Junktown/Gizmos etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    Only you can decide if it's worth the time to do those custom interfaces, but it looks very nice.

^ Top  
  4. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Parrots:
    Your game looks visually stunning. I just hope you finish it, and make the other parts good and interesting too (like gameplay, dialogue, combat, C&C etc.). About the custom interfaces, yes it brings atmosphere, but, if it will take too much time, or burn you out for working on the game, don't do them too much. But it does look very nice indeed. :incline:

^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Hey Surf, I've heard you're getting back on track, need any more material? Hit my inbox if you need anymore stuff!

:bro:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:

I'm in actually a need of some minor descriptions for armor items (military/police issue) that haven't been there in Fallout 1/2 etc. Will drop you a PM over the course of the week! :)

^ Top  
  7. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Most of the stuff is almost finished, need to do some new renders for new inventory item icons etc. - then all we need is to wait for the FOnline folks to finish the most crucial animations and we are set. :salute:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Parrots:
    Wow, you sure know how to design a great looking combat armor. :incline:

Anyway how is the game progressing? Will it ever be finished? :D

^ Top  
  9. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Since we decided to not use the old 2d sprites but render the 3d models of them instead in realtime, it's been great progress with new armors, items and so on. The only thing slowing everything a bit down is the current small size of people working on it (basically only me and Luther Blisset, the talented artist you can put your praises on for the armor ;) ) and the thing that not all needed animations for the critters are finished. But I am not in a hurry, so I can wait :) I would do them myself but I SUCK at animations...

^ Top  
  10. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    Parrots:
    Looking very professional.

^ Top  
  11. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Thanks! Will direct the kind words directly to Luther. :)

Keep in mind though that the characters ingame will look much smaller, like this: [​IMG]

You can still zoom in if you want to view your different equipment slots for armor on hands, boots, etc.

One idea I had while playing JA2 again today, would some kind of camouflage kits work in the game? Simply altering the texture while the camo kit is in use is no problem, I am thinking more of a gameplay effect. What would the effect be - some +points to sneak? Or a malus for Perception for the enemies?

^ Top  
  12. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    Parrots:
    There should come a point in development where you simply go "No more new ideas. This is it and we're sticking to it and we're going to actually complete the damn thing". It's very easy to sink into never-ending development if you keep going around altering things and implementing new ideas.

I don't know how applicable this is to your situation but it is an easy trap to sink into and then real-life intervenes or the developer loses interest and we never see get anything actually damn playable for all those years of effort and development.

^ Top  
  13. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    That's very true, at some point there needs to be some "feauture stop", yep. But that's why I am already releasing a demo before the actual game, for the final game there are much more feautures planned than I already have. In the end, I make the game how I want it to be like, since aside from some pre-kickstarter game I am helping with and What Remains I doubt I will ever do another game, I want it to be good. That's why I take my sweet time. :)

Here is some visual effect I experimented with the camouflages, it is actually fairly easy to do, but I need to tweak the brightness and visibility of it. (dont mind the white border, thats just due to my crappy gif program)

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    I like that stealth effect.

^ Top  
  15. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:

Thanks! Finished my first batch of weapon 3d models I need for UI icons etc.

Here is a higher tech weapon I am sure some people know from real life (it will look different in the game)

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:

So, where's that PM?

Also, nice armor. The gun is cool too, I assume its a alternate weapon based on it? (like Fallout 2's Bozar is a Barret?)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
  18. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Parrots:
    Sorry for the bother, but hows progress going ? :)

^ Top  
  19. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Only 12 animation files missing for the hero animations, then I can finally release the demo. :love:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  20. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    :yeah:

^ Top  
  21. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Parrots:
    Finally bro! :incline:

^ Top  
  22. Lorica Educated

Lorica
    Parrots:
    :)

Any word on that demo?

^ Top  
  23. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    Parrots:
    is it done yet??

^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Any estimation? CAn't wait to play this, its gonna be awesome.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Aside from incorporating some newer engine feautures (our build is quite outdated) which I can do right now actually (thanks for reminding me!) I am still waiting for some missing animation files I need from other artists. Also, I am probably at my 928452894811th iteration of the GUI, I always find something to nag about, hehe. I just don't want such a fiasco with the (too early) demo build from last time, so no idea when I can put it up. Before summer I hope. :)

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)