Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Discussion in 'What Remains' started by Surf Solar, Mar 31, 2011.

1. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Exactly. As good as Torment is, it's nowhere near "philosophically challenging" or anything like that. Get new testers. I'll volunteer. I can even curse in German if that helps. Himmel! Donnerwetter! Scheisse!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. sea Prestigious Gentleman inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Parrots:
    Seriously, everyone here on the Codex is looking forward to What Remains and are happy to give you detailed feedback. Of course, if your game sucks then you have to be prepared for the fact that people will say it does. ;)

^ Top  
  3. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Nah, I am happy with critique and encourage it, it is just such nonsense like on the previous page that made me rant. There was stuff like "when I declined to join the policemen I got thrown in a quarantine room stripped off of all my clotjes and had a naked sprite. This is fine for male characters, but you should reconsider how you treat women in this gamw" - I mean, seriously...

I am sitting in train right now, when I come home I can quote more of such gems.

And yeah, I will PM the client to you codex bros, I just decided to alter XP rewards, so players can test out the new higher level perks in the demo too. It shouldnt take too long since rhere are not many quests.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Krash Prophet

Krash
    Parrots:
    Just release the demo for all codexers! That way you'll have a large population of testers well versed in RPGs. VoD, Zed, or Bee could even make it a news item.

^ Top  
  5. sea Prestigious Gentleman inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Parrots:
    I don't know if it's possible (I'd have to ask Buck because it's a mod) but I could try do a preview or something for GameBanshee if you wanted.

^ Top  
  6. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    I hadn't had time to do anything for the game the past few weeks but it should soon become better. Thanks for the offer but I really want to polish it a bit more as said earlier, will come back to it when the stuff is ready. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Venerable Luther Blisset made this fine draft of the armor I wanted, it's looking good already! When it is finished, I will upload the updated demo then. :)

[​IMG]

Previously they had the old Fallout Combat armor sprites and looked like this

[​IMG]

nice that there is an appropriate one now!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Parrots:
    It's looking pretty awesome I must say. I always preferred the look of combat armor in Fallout. It looked bad ass, yet appropriate to the setting.

^ Top  
  9. grotsnik Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

grotsnik
    Parrots:
    Love the old house - the little details like the vines entangled in the fire escape are sweet!

(Wait, is that meant to be the outline of someone fallen through the snow under the tree in the foreground?)

^ Top  
  10. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    The vines were directly painted on the building and suck a bit, could look a bit better in hindsight. :P I Tried to directly model them in 3d but it looked even worse. There is one "corpse" behind a window there as well, but it's too small to recognize, same as the body in the foreground you mentionend, yep.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. sea Prestigious Gentleman inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Parrots:
    Looks awesome. It's interesting how those low-poly models can still look excellent as sprites with a bit of touch-up.

^ Top  
  12. Derper Liturgist

Derper
    Parrots:
    Release a demo already!

^ Top  
  13. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Wow, so the demo is really going to be out soon?

^ Top  
  14. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    There is still heaps of stuff to do and I couldnt really work on it the last months (hence the lack of updates). Hopefully by fall/winter I have more time to work on it, sorry guys.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
  16. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    I've finallly a bit more time lately (and before Destroid makes a smartass comment, no, everything's fine :P ) and I will be able to work on the polishing - will keep you guys up to date for the demo now! :)

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. TorontRayne Savant

TorontRayne
    Parrots:
    I'm really excited about this Surf. I can't wait for the demo!

^ Top  
  18. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Parrots:
    Umm...Don't really keep up with the codex anymore so sorry if I missed some big announcement, but...Is this project dead ?

^ Top  
  19. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:

Hey. The game isn't dead, it was just put to frozen state for a couple of months because of some real life crap, other team members being occupied etc. As stuff got better lately and I got a bit of a motivation "kickstart" I've just commited some new changes to the games repository and looked through my design docs after a while, I hope I can get back to churn out lots of new stuff for the game as I did months before, I was practically working 24/7 on it which was a bit unhealthy for motivation :). I was also considering to move to a different engine perhaps, as the FOnline engine I am using right now is really nice to work with, but ultimatively limtied to what I want to achieve. Still considering and looking for demo versions of other engines (Unity?) - but the demo I was talking about in a different thread will definitely released with the FOnline engine.

I was also considering to set up some ftp server on my website (that will soon go online) to put up some art (3d models, textures, music, sound) that I want to share with other people who want to do indie games etc. - if someone here can link me to some cheap service I would really appreciate it (kinda low on money right now) - it would only benefit others as I don't charge anything besides my name in the credits for the stuff I share.

Furthermore, I'll invite some people who have volunteered in the past to help me on item descriptions, lore etc. to some private conversation through the forum here so I can post stuff that I need etc. The Brazilian Slaughter for example already provided me with lots of good stuff on this.

When I am finished rendering some new assets I worked on the last months sporadically and visually upgrade some stuff on the maps and edit dialogues, I'll also send a link to the demo here. I was previously only sending it to some testers over on moddb.com but got nonsense comments about totally irrellevant stuff (romances ahoi!) there. So it's a much better idea to just publically share the link here, like Vault Dweller did with Age of Decadence - a really good idea imo.

Feels kinda good to be back on track. :)

Oh and anus_pounder - I don't know why you brofisted 25+ posts of mine in such a short time, but thank you. :D

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    Parrots:
    Dropbox does free hosting of whatever content you want up to 2gb. You can also do various things (like be a student) to get more space, up to 8gb or so for free.

^ Top  
  21. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    Unfortunately the raw models and textures go way beyond the 2gb mark, I usually do full HD shots when I go out making textures for example, easily going up to 6 mb per picture. Same with the audio files. I rather have large files I can always downscale than smaller files I need to mask when I do texturing etc.

^ Top  
  22. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Parrots:
    Oh alright, good to know. Looking forward to this. Admittedly I'm a bit drunk on FO having just finished another run of 1 a few days ago. ;)

^ Top  
  23. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Parrots:
    I've been going through my dialogues lately to handle typos, correct some sentences and so on and I noticed it can be quite boring to always stare at the same screen during lengthy dialogues, that has been bugging me in the original Fallout too. So I thought, one could make context sensitive dialogue screens, to have some visual alterations every now and then.

For example this using the terminals in the train station:

[​IMG]

Ofcourse it's just graphics, do you think it would be worth to create more of these different appearances depending where the player is in, or not? Ofcourse it has to fit to the rest of the UI and the theme of the map too.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Tzaero DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yes.

:thumbsup:

^ Top  
  25. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Yes.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)