Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
How did you get it to look this nice?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
How did you get it to look this nice?

The vast majority of all new done art (the ground textures, the trees, water etc) is based on trial&error and constant ditching and redoing maps and locations. :D I don't know how many different iterations there are on the starting location alone - I could fill entire threads full with fail. :P To me, such a system is the best and most fun, as you can see progress in your work when you compare older ones to newer ones. Well, atleast it works for me on an amateaur/hobby level. :)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
On some unrelated note, I wish I could kickstart Justin Cherry, who was just recently laid off of Obsidian, to do some Character Portraits and splash image art for me. Sucks to be not a kwan. :roll: - plus, that guy deserves it, just look at his art. Anyway, support that guy, I command you!

20 Eyes

Liturgist
The wooded area looks great. The environment really pushes everything away from Fallout, in a good way. I especially like the area around the trailer.

Nice work.

Destroid

Arcane
On some unrelated note, I wish I could kickstart Justin Cherry, who was just recently laid off of Obsidian, to do some Character Portraits and splash image art for me. Sucks to be not a kwan. :roll: - plus, that guy deserves it, just look at his art. Anyway, support that guy, I command you!

You can Indiegogo him.

Also, if you want extra art, Alex Ries is a fried so I must always rep him (pretty cheap too, prices are on his deviantart).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Is Indiegogo the same/similar to Kickstarter? I could pay some small amount for this month, next month a bit more (blown away all my money this/last month on "how to" scripting and 3d modeling books/plus a bit Bukowski :oops: ) so no one needs to be "hurt" in terms of kickstarting "What Remains" (major lol, doubt that is even legal). I just wanted to endorse Justin Cherry's art in my previous post so maybe other upstarting cool codex devs see his work now that he is lain off, the Kickstarter comment was maybe a bit over the top - but what can one expect on the codex nowadays where one can expect a new kickstarter almost everyday. :D

Destroid: Alex Ries' art looks kickass and would be top notch for the other RPG project I am secretly working on in my backyard ( I really do! ) but for What Remains I really prefer Justin Cherry's weird looking abstract character potraits - and I have to focus on one project in terms of assets aquiring. Really fell in love to Cherry's art tho'.

The wooded area looks great. The environment really pushes everything away from Fallout, in a good way. I especially like the area around the trailer.

Nice work.

Thank you! Especially that you noticed the area around the trailer as something unique makes me think I have succeeded - it will (can) be a part of the players interest too, what with being a relatively safe camp in the middle of these woods. Even without that, maybe I even told a small "enviromental" story with it, without ever writing down what history is behind it.

As long as people say this has evolved from Fallouts graphics and not "this does look cool but not like fallout" I feel very pleased. Thanks for the comment! :) It is a long and painful experience since I usually paint directly most of the graphics in digital paintings, so people liking it and thinking it is homogenous is nice. I don't want to bore you people with technical details, but in this particular one I really did everything into sometimes unneccessary detail - I first rendered some grass "branches", then bunched them up, then rendered them into a big "field", made a pattern out of it, then made it monochrome black and white with a slight bit of yellow into it, then painted every small "hill" and leaf "hill" onto it. Then I exported the color palette, imported it into my 3d rendering program, prepared a scene for animated wind driven trees, saved, rendered the normal trees for now to see how well they look on the "map", played around Fallout critters, drawn their placment onto a piece of paper, then made the "river" by solely painting it on the map. Then some slight post processing, voila is the picture :) The most annoying part is to cut all the layers into tiny .pngs so I can place each tree individually in the FOnline mapper for example.

@ everyone: Any comments regarding that flash/thunder idea my last few posts ahead? Thanks in advance!

Destroid

Arcane
Yep, indiegogo is basically the same as kickstarter, but it's open to most nationalities (there's a black list).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
@ everyone: Any comments regarding that flash/thunder idea my last few posts ahead? Thanks in advance!

Well, I can't say I'd enjoy to miss a certain NPC interaction because he was randomly fried by lightning.

Do heavy rain or fog give a penalty to PE?

oscar

Arcane
Yeah. Could be a funny rare event that happens though if you have a low luck score (I can't remember if your using the same stat system of Fallout).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ok, I will play around with the chances and see that it not gets too harsh. :)

I almost finished another of those "hunting ground" areas today (optional areas you can buy maps for). It took a lot of time to render this cobweb thingy, and I am still not fully satisfied.

f67upm.jpg

(click on picture to see fullsize)

Ofcourse you will be able to climb down the lair with a rope, clichés are there to use them. :troll:

And some playing around with the display of perks, traits, backgrounds, stats and such. Still in the phase of experimenting with this sort of "iconic" thing since I can't use the vaultboy.

untitled-1idrd0.png

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
"Luther Blisset" - the guy I want to give infinite " <3 " for working on my character models, showed me a new way how to add custom light and shadow setttings to scenes today. This is how it can look:

dddzsfnu.jpg

Fuck yeah! This looks so much better than what I could achieve before. Now I can finally do those inner forest maps I always wanted to do, similar to this:

ar5010qsu5t.jpg
(anyone remember the fucking annoying forest puzzle in IWD II ? ;) )

But minus the annoying navigating, you will always have a map to look at! :) Dang I am excited, I cant wait to try out these new gradients at my older maps!

laclongquan

Arcane
Nitpick:

- Clothes line. Generally tribal people dont dry clothes or skins near bushes and trees like that. For one thing, it create blind spot, make it easier for sneaker to approach the house. For another, it's moist and lack of wind. For a last, the damn things are expensive in that environment (because it's not durable and hard to replicate). So you should move that object to lower left corner, in front of the door but far enough it doesnt create blind spot, and it's in the spacy area.

- Make a small patch of garden near the house. Tribal architecture always has space for one. It is the combination of spice, vegetables, herbal remedies, natural fertilized (septic tank) ground. Inside that fenced area is ideal.

- Toughness perk. The hand holding the card belong to a limpwristed civilized man. It clashes horribly with the content "Toughness" and not in a good way. If it's the general art for all perk, drop the wrist collar , make a bigger, muscled hand grasp it.

- Hunting ground of Fallout 2 is badly done. As a hunting ground for a tribe, it should be much bigger, kinda like in Trapper Town (?), with a good source of water like a spring or waterfall. Actually, you could use Hunting ground of F2, but enlarge it sixteen times, make it a small wood.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thank you llaclongquan - de spirit tells it be the first warrior that told de truth since a few moons!

- The clothes washing thingy can be easily moved. As said, it is first inhabitaded by a lone female hunter. Then, who might know? It is near the water, it is also near Spidey's Lair, that shit's be swell and sells good.

- Good idea for the garden for herbs etc. It makes for nice detail I haven't thought about!

- The card for toughness was just the original FO2 perk I used. I will improve the texts. I am glad you people like it as much as I do!

- Don't you be worry, Shaman-man bring lots of de new places to hunt. The one I showed is just a fraction of a single map out of 15 hunting grounds. :) The trapper girl camp will fungate as a camp or hub once you set food in this area. If you do these optional quests (they are quite similar to the quests the Witcher has to do, the more he learns about Critter XY, the better he fights them) the party can take care of. IMO it is a a cool mechanic, it rewards optional exploration, but you will never really need it in the game. :)

Quilty

Magister
I am with Jaesun on this one. New pants are required. Brilliant work!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
You'll get a PM, The Brazilian Slaughter . ;)

I am currently on the go to create concepts for the swampy areas and learned some new tricks for proper setup of light. Quite hard to do like how I imagined it without making it look like some fantasy forest. :o Though I have tested some setpieces and with proper sfx and music it feels pretty creepy. Here is some test render, a mockup.

fsafzjurc.png

(click on image to view full picture etc)

It's only a preview render, so please excuse the pixels, I can show the final render for comparison once it is completed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom