Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WoW Alternatives For Slower Connections/Computers

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Hey everyone,

Excuse my n00bishness, but if anyone has seen my thread in the Prisonscape forums, I just got out of prison a few months ago after doing an almost 6 year bid. I was never a big gamer before prison and even if I was, I'd be behind being gone so long. I got into D&D in prison (old school pen and paper style) and I miss playing RPGs so I'm looking for an MMO to fill the void.

Specifically, I'm looking for an alternative to WoW that is (preferably) free and doesn't require a superfast Internet connection or making computer specs. I know you can play WoW with not too great a computer or connection, but I just want something to start me off. I have a decent computer (Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop, 2GB Ram, 300MB+ video card, Intel Core Duo 2 1.66GHz) and a DSL connection (over 2MB d/l and around 600 kb u/l). I just want to play something that's: fun, free or cheap, MMO, D&D/WoW style and won't lag or freeze up.

I tried playing Neverwinter, but when I get to the cities it tends to lag and freeze slightly.

Thank you in advance. :) Feel free to stop by the Prisonscape forum to ask any prison related questions!

Ninjerk

Arcane
Hey everyone,

Excuse my n00bishness, but if anyone has seen my thread in the Prisonscape forums, I just got out of prison a few months ago after doing an almost 6 year bid. I was never a big gamer before prison and even if I was, I'd be behind being gone so long. I got into D&D in prison (old school pen and paper style) and I miss playing RPGs so I'm looking for an MMO to fill the void.

Specifically, I'm looking for an alternative to WoW that is (preferably) free and doesn't require a superfast Internet connection or making computer specs. I know you can play WoW with not too great a computer or connection, but I just want something to start me off. I have a decent computer (Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop, 2GB Ram, 300MB+ video card, Intel Core Duo 2 1.66GHz) and a DSL connection (over 2MB d/l and around 600 kb u/l). I just want to play something that's: fun, free or cheap, MMO, D&D/WoW style and won't lag or freeze up.

I tried playing Neverwinter, but when I get to the cities it tends to lag and freeze slightly.

Thank you in advance. :) Feel free to stop by the Prisonscape forum to ask any prison related questions!
I think EverQuest and DAoC still run servers, but they're much more old school than WoW (probably). XP loss on death and corpse run type stuff.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Are you looking specifically for a WoW-like MMO? Because if you miss PnP maybe you can try one of the online communities that play PnP RPG's online, with something like Roll20, for example, which shouldn't require anything more powerful than a toaster.

If you don't mind the art style, there's Ragnarok Online. Should run on a toaster, and there's a big playerbase. It's not really WoW-like but WoW is already made to run even on "non-gamer" computers, so I don't think you have many options.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Hey thanks everyone!

So I downloaded Everquest and started playing. It runs fine on my computer and with my connection. Slowly I'm figuring it out. I may check out FOnline and if I know what I'm doing before the 5th I may hit you guys up, The Brazilian Slaughter. I'm also very interested in Roll20 and plan to check that out.

bert

Arcane
If you like PnP and don't mind play by post, try RPGCrossing. It's an incredibly active community with DMs constantly looking for players for their games. Just be aware of the 80-90%~ mortality of games and you'll be fine. The games that do survive tend to be long-lasting, well-written and fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom