Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worms Reloaded

Lightknight said:
On the other hand there's some feedback like this

I know what it’s like.

Everyone knows what it’s like.

And that's the reason I'll wait for it to drop under 10 €.

Most importantly, they’ve messed with the ninja rope. I haven’t given it enough of a go yet to make a definitive call, but from everything I’ve heard roping is basically ruined, rather than different in a fun and interesting way.
:rage:

Team 17 have said they’ll be listening to feedback and releasing patches though, so who knows.
They better do that.
:mob:

I don't claim I ever was a rope wizard, but you could do some pretty fun stuff with it. I want it exactly as it was, silliness included.

edit:
The stench of a console port is unmistakable. The more I play it, the more I wish I were playing Armageddon instead.
Also, judging by some of the comments, it looks like we have a bad case of consolized interface.

edit 2:
I’d sincerely advice not buying this game. It really is a shoddily ported insult to fans of the Worms games of old. That sounds like a bit of a trollish statement, but allow me to quantify:

Team 17 have improved one thing with the game. They’ve added high res textures.

Now let me get started on the list of things they’ve fucked up, brace yourselves ladies it’s not short:
- Massively reduced weapon list; missing now are the Carpet Bomb, Sheep Strike, Handgun, Minigun, Flamethrower, Ming Vase, Old Woman, Salvation Army, Mad Cows, Mail Strike, MB Bomb, Longbow, Nuclear Test, Aqua Sheep, Super Banana Bomb, Battle Axe, Scales of Justice, Mortar, Bungee, Freeze, Magic Bullet, Mine Strike, Mole Bomb, Mole Strike and that’s just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. The replacement weapons are nothing like as numerous and nothing like as imaginative or powerful.

- “Spoiled” Ninja Rope. While I never played the old competitive rope game modes, I liked the old rope mechanics, they worked. The new one irritates me no end. More to the point though, Team 17 have destroyed an entire set of game modes with the new rope.

- Appalling interface. The interface clearly hasn’t been changed since the PSP/Xbox releases, because the font is a huge size 72 balloon font made to be seen 3 miles away rather than the 3 feet most of us are from our monitor. Hell, small phrases like “Bazookas and Grenades” require scrolling text to be able to read the whole thing. Then there’s the issue of all the menus being designed for use with a gamepad, not a mouse. Remember the old graphical tile based customisation screens from Armageddon? Those don’t exist anymore, now you have to scroll through each individual setting or weapon and set them one by one.

- Utter lack of customisation. Have 5 people who want to play? Tough, you can only have 4. Want to muck around with 8 worms on a team? Tough, you can only have 4. Want to customise weapon damage and crate probability like you could in Armageddon? Tough, you can’t. Yeah, long story short you can’t customise much anymore, you play the game pretty much as they dictate you have to.

- Reduced map size. This may well tie into the 16 worm limit, but it remains its own problem. With 16 worms on a map, it’s bloody crowded. Combine this with the new slippy slidey physics and it’s basically fluke whether you live or die because the map is so damn small with so many places to go off the edge.

If all of this is true WR looks like a stripped down WA. The problems with interface, small maps (hadn't noticed in the screenshots, I should be more careful) and worms limit are enough for me to pass on this. Seriously, what did they think?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Good thing I still have my Worms World Party disc lying about. IMO the last Worms released before the decline.

Ulminati said:
Good thing I still have my Worms World Party disc lying about. IMO the last Worms released before the decline.
And even WWP was just a re-release of WA with little new content.
I bought both W3D and W4 and enjoyed them, but they were never as fun as WA. I get the impression that after polishing the 2D formula to mirror shine they just couldn't do anything quite as fun. Worms in 3D is just far more shallow than the original, no matter how well you do it.

Angthoron

Arcane
After finally getting this thing to run, I have to say I'm confused. The singleplayer component is boring, bland and banal, unlike the stuff in WA. The only reason I bought it in the first place was the hope that the MP is fun - or is WP still playable somehow without the use of Hamachi?

The pacing is somehow wrong though, I don't know what it is, but it's just not the same. I'd settle for a complete copy of Armageddon. Maybe MP will be better.

fro01

Novice
after reading through this topic, i have seen that that worms reloaded comes with a map editor/maker, even the trailer shows using a map maker, i bought the game through steam, thats where i saw the trailer for the game, but i fail to find the mapmaker, i mean its not anywhere in the steam files where the game was installed, but i did stumble across everything else (weapon tweak files, etc)

where is the map maker/editor?

thanks in advance :D

Multi-headed Cow

Yep, it's in the game proper. Apparently you can do some semi-cool things with it like make maps out of pictures and crap, but I haven't really fucked with it.

Multi-headed Cow said:
Apparently you can do some semi-cool things with it like make maps out of pictures and crap
You could do that in WWP as well (and also in WA iirc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom