Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Worlds of Magic - try the alpha demo

doomtrader

Novice
Hi All,

You might already heard about Worlds of Magic, and now you can play it.

Together with Kickstarter campaign we have released a demo version of the tactical combat arena.

Now you can try the game. Download it here:
http://myworldsofmagic.com/download

We really appreciate your feedback.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Skipping feedback on content/balance for now because it's an alpha, and focusing on how the game handles.

+Spellbook looks promising. It has room for lots and lots of spells, plus 12 hotkey slots for the ones you like best. The spellbook itself looks pretty and the icons are nicely sized.
+Unit info panel is well put together
+Controlling units is easy and intuitive. However I do wish I could change the unit cycle hotkey from TAB to N.
-Camera controls. Hold rmb and drag to rotate, hold mmb and drag to pan. Meanwhile the arrow keys and wasd don't do anything.
-No hotkeys for end turn, open spellbook, or open unit panel. Additionally, the GUI icons for those things are small and do not touch the edge of the screen, so clicking on them is more of a hassle than it should be.
-Spellbook hotkeys don't work yet. In addition to the 12 spellhotkeys, BACKSPACE to go back and ESC to close would be good.
-No tooltips or descriptive text for spells. Functionality for these things doesn't even seem to be in the game.

Pressing F8 crashes the game. What's it supposed to do?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
WOW! Just heard about this, going to try after work hours and try to provide feedback.

Damned Masters of Magic is my favorite 4x game even today, starting to throw monies to my screen :)

doomtrader

Novice
F6, F7 and F8 are suppose to make screenshots

We didn't really introduce the keyboard support yet, as we would like to map all the options first to avoid double use of the same keys in different screens.

mondblut

Arcane
That looks like a massive incline. Providing it's not Elemental again :D (speaking of which, you might want to change the main font. It looks exactly like Elemental's, and you probably don't want an association :lol: )

Also:

items_managment2.png

Methinks you definitely don't want a huge item model there. I doubt they would be high-poly enough to show off, keep them small.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
That looks like a massive incline. Providing it's not Elemental again :D .
Ugh. Not a chance in hell. We learn on others' mistakes.

also guys, battlefield mechanics are being redone as we speak to a slightly MoM-ified d20 OGL. The ones used now are a placeholder.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Alpha demo of obsolete mechanics? Erm, ok. That surely makes sense in some universe. Maybe just to check for bugs, yeah. Probably.

doomtrader

Novice
I wouldn't call it obsolete.
First we have decided to implement basic mechanisms and make sure there is fine performance on the technological end.

Now we are filling the engine with a much more sophisticated data :)

kris

Arcane
Alpha demo of obsolete mechanics? Erm, ok. That surely makes sense in some universe. Maybe just to check for bugs, yeah. Probably.

I am pretty sure they made this more to give people an idea and interest in the game to push in a bit more cash into the project.

Android Fan

Barely Literate
I tried to play the game, and it crashed the moment I tried to play the game.

I start, I get to the title screen, I hit "Custom Battle", I choose some units for each side, I tell it to begin playing, and that's when it crashed.

This happened twice.

I run Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3, Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHz with 1 Gig of RAM. I tried 1024x768 full screen for the first attempt, the lowest resolution and windowed for the second attempt.

I cannot find a way to attach the files created in the crash folders to this thread.

doomtrader

Novice
hey could you please send the output_log.txt file from the game folder to:
doomtrader[at]wastelands-interactive.com

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My very fast notes are these.f

Looks promising. Most of my "complaints" would be in the if possible add this kind of side of things, but it is early beta and not a full AAA release so i know there are limitations.

More variation in the individual units so we have less clone stacks.
More animation variation that change depending on what kills them.
Corpses staying on the ground in interesting posses that correlates to what killed them. Charred corpse, arrow ridden corpse and so on.
Mouse that change change depending on what kind of attack i am about to do. Melee vs Ranged vs Siege vs magic.
Hopefully you will have a option to speed the game up for those who want that.

Other then that i most say i am super impressed with this so far.

I like the look for the Spell tome, the units over all look nice and there seem to be a lot of options for Special abilities that units can have.

So yeah. Voted on green light and will throw some money at this when ever i stop being poor.

doomtrader

Novice
Hey CrimsonAngel,

Thanks for the kind words.
Some of the issues are just budget related (more diversity and more animations), so we would like to have them too.

The gameplay things you have raised are on the todo list (mouse, speed, abilities).

Thanks for your votes, we are close to the #100.

Every vote really counts. Please if you can spare a minute or two ask your friends to vote for us too. Nobody lose on this. :)

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Being very blunt, what do you guys do that Dom4/CoE3 don't, other that taschtical fights?

Johannes

Arcane
Animations need to be faster. Now rote actions take too long to do. And a "Next Unit" command is needed that rotates between units that haven't moved yet.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Animations need to be faster. Now rote actions take too long to do. And a "Next Unit" command is needed that rotates between units that haven't moved yet.

Next unit hotkey is TAB

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom