Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World War 1 Games?

Phelot

Arcane
Does anyone know of any World War 1 games? Maybe like Hearts of Iron or something? I can't seem to find anything.

I can imagine why it's probably not that popular a subject considering that war was a bit... static to say the least, but I'm really interested in it. Even if there was a Naval sim, that'd be cool. I'm not too into aircraft sims and I know they've made a few.

L'ennui

Magister
Since WW1 is a rather limited gaming market, most games you'll find are grognard-ish board-game adaptations.

<a href="http://www.matrixgames.com/products/331/details/Guns.Of.August.1914.-.1918">Guns of August</a> is supposedly the best WW1 wargame available right now, so you might want to try that.

If all else fails, play Red Baron 3d while blasting Wagner's ride of the Valkyries.

Phelot

Arcane
L'ennui said:
Since WW1 is a rather limited gaming market, most games you'll find are grognard-ish board-game adaptations.

<a href="http://www.matrixgames.com/products/331/details/Guns.Of.August.1914.-.1918">Guns of August</a> is supposedly the best WW1 wargame available right now, so you might want to try that.

If all else fails, play Red Baron 3d while blasting Wagner's ride of the Valkyries.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

Krash

Arcane
Victoria (made by Paradox) has some similarities to EU and HOI includes a ww1 scenario that starts in 1914. It's a pretty complex game to get into though

Nothing is worthy yet.

Guns of August is probably the best of a not so great bunch. It is certainly the most solid, and is still quite enjoyable.

Le Grande Guerre, the AGEOD game, would have been the best, by far. Unfortunately, it is a buggy piece of excrement that needs a complete overhaul. Probably more than that actually. It could have been beautiful...

Nothing else worth mentioning.

sheek

Arbiter
I liked the battle system for La Grande Guerre. You pick the front line troops, flanks, reserves etc, it looked quite strategic. The demo crashed, was very slow when it did run, and I heard they were working on a new patch.

Panthera

Scholar
The ones I came in here to mention have already been mentioned. I'll add that there's at ton of great Great War scenarios for The Operational Art of War.

I think there was a game that used the Cossacks engine a while back, but that was silly.

X40c

Novice
It may not be what you're looking for, but I guess it deserves a mention. The genius, who's making Dwarf Fortress, also made WW1 Medic earlier. Its not a high content game like HoI 2, but it's a great thingy for passing the boring hours. Other than that, there are very few WWI games. I have seen some mod here and there for FPS' and strategy games. Depending what you've got, you might want to check out the modding scenes. I don't have any specific mods to recommend me self. Also, didn't the Victoria expansion add the WWI era to the game? Victoria is teh win, so it might be worth to check it out.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
X40c said:
Also, didn't the Victoria expansion add the WWI era to the game? Victoria is teh win, so it might be worth to check it out.

Yes, it did (or maybe that period was already in vanilla); you can play 'till 1936 or so... but the game concentrates more on the governance of countries, and not just battles. If you're looking for battles exclusively, you might want to avoid Victoria; I strongly recommend giving it a shot though if you're into country micromanagement.

Actually I'm busying myself right with a mega-campaign I started with Europa Universalis 3: In Nomine, and I've just converted my savegames over to Victoria: Revolutions, to continue the fun (I plan on playing up until the end of HOI2). Boy oh boy, playing from 1399 to 1840 so far has taken me two weeks (in RL)!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it ages ago and... eh, the concept is awesome but the battles are so horribly wonky with infantry and cavalry getting stuck in the environment all the time, so your attack dissolves into a bunch of people hugging trees and you're gunned down by defenders. Horrible, horrible pathfinding AI. Artillery is very powerful, which is pretty cool, and you can level entire cities, so the winning formula is pretty much to shell the shit out of the enemy position and then charging in with infantry and cavalry pulling in the single tank/armored car you own and kite the surviving infantry until they're all dead.

At least that way my experience back when I played it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It cost right now 0.89 euro on steam ;)

Oh, it is - and two Russian WW1 Blitzkrieg clones are on sale for around a Euro too, so I just grabbed all three. They're probably all shit but that's almost as cheap as torrenting, and I like WW1 and never tried those Blitzkrieg clones.

SmartCheetah

Arcane

Noone mentioned it. Not sure if it's a standalone game or a mod to Men of War, but still looks pretty good. Ofc if you enjoyed original men of war games. Worth a try if someone is into WW1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom