Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World in Conflict vs CoH, which is better and why? Discuss!

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
World in Conflict vs CoH, which is better and why? Discuss!

Single player only. I prefer world in conflict.

Would love a naval game like Pacific Storm with carriers and planes.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
World in Conflict is a fire support simulator. I thought it was boring. You move your soldiers to a spot, then let them sit while you keep calling in fire support. Then you move them to the next spot where you'll call down fire support.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
World in Conflict skipped basebuilding entirely, which is a plus in my book. It also looked rather pretty :graphixwhoar:.

That said, I spent far more time playing CoH and had more fun doing so than I did with WiC.

oscar

Arcane
Company of Heroes is my favourite RTS by a mile. Decent realism (shots to a tank either penetrate or they deflect and do nothing, machine guns are deadly front on but if unsupported easy to outflank and kill, tank armour is weaker in sides and rear ) and graphics are impressively detailed instead of just shiny (what seems to pass for "good graphics" now days).

Combat is alot more manoeuvre based than your average RTS. The stupidity of Starcraft YOUR EITHER IN RANGE AND YOU DO FULL DAMAGE OR YOUR OUT OF RANGE AND CAN'T FIRE AT ALL is avoided by units having different EFFECTIVE range specialities (and a large part of being successful at the game is learning these distances):

- An smg assault squad may be able to fire alongside their riflemen buddies, but don't expect them to hit much at long range, so your more efficient using the riflemen to distract/pin down the enemy squad and then flank and charge in close with the smg boys

-Likewise if you have a rifleman squad firing at some smg/garand/assault rifle dudes you'll get slaughtered if they can close the distance meaning you have to slowly backpedal and stop to shoot from cover, hopefully weakening them enough to nullify your inferior close range weaponry

The point capture system also means combat occurs across the whole map (meaning you have to guard all across the map from a sneaky kettenkrad or paratrooper squad trying to nick a point deep inside your territory) instead of between blobs at choke-points.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Men of War beats the fuck out of CoH which ripped its ideas off but filled them with boring RTS basebuilding

someone else

Arcane
Patron
MetalCraze said:
29 June 2004
That's Soldiers: Heroes of World War II by Codemasters, maybe the name is different in Ukraine. Anyway I just ordered ARMA 2 Combined Operations, are the Reinforcements worth buying?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I like WiC more because modern military tech is more appealing to me than the WW2 stuff. Also I like the idea that there are different roles in WiC and each player has to choose one in every match. But both of them are good games, just a little different.

oscar

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Men of War beats the fuck out of CoH which ripped its ideas off but filled them with boring RTS basebuilding

:lol:

CoH: September 12, 2006

MoW: 10 March 2009

While the micromanagement was fine for the 5 men stealth missions it was not fun micromanaging individual soldier's ammunition while you've got 80 other men to command was not fun. Apparently the soldier requires a direct order to pick up that rifle from the kraut corpse or he just waits there, getting shot at, until you actively tell him too.

CoH also has far less basebuilding than most RTS's. Having a point request system isn't any more realistic or conductive to a good game either. High Command is probably MORE likely to send you reinforcements if your losing than letting you choose between some infantry, a mortar or an airstrike because you knocked out a Panzer III.

The base in CoH gives you a protective zone where you can rebuild and re-equip your retreated forces. Base turtling in any form or variation is a death warrant in CoH due to the point capture system.

Erzherzog

Magister
oscar said:
MetalCraze said:

You're on the Codex. We don't give a fuck when a game came out.

And are you aware that Men of War Assault Squad is out, which has been making the game way more accessible especially through patches? (Good, major UI changes half a year after games release)

First off, if you're playing RTS singleplayer you're doing it wrong. No RTS'es are good singleplayer, particularly not CoH. CoHs singleplayer AI is only a set of capping commands, can't give you a challenge in the least.

I wouldn't recommend playing either of the two mentioned games tbh. CoH suffers from the Relic touch, meaning balance-changing bugs that are never fixed unless new bugs are introduced. The strategy is also sort of shallow, with there generally being just one or two viable strats. And of course, the two new races - brits and PE - ain't even close to being balanced and are practically irrelevant for tournament play.

MetalCraze

Arcane
oscar said:
MetalCraze said:

Unzips

"вышла 29 июня 2004 г." - "came out 29 june 2004"

You can put my cock in your mouth now

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
MetalCraze said:
I can put my cock in my mouth now

If you're going to say Men of War ripped off a game when you meant a game called something entirely different, don't be surprised when people call bullshit BRO.

Cassidy

Arcane
Give skyway a break. It's a Ukrainian Game Developer that did Men of War.

Also WiC is mediocre fire support simulator and a huge disappointment compared to the much superior Ground Control. The checkpoint system in it was extremely limiting too. I didn't play CoH, but it doesn't take much to beat a game as dull and consolified as WiC.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ulminati said:
MetalCraze said:

If you're going to say Men of War ripped off a game when you meant a game called something entirely different, don't be surprised when people call bullshit BRO.

What bullshit? MoW,FoW and HOWW2 are exactly the same game, just different addons (which for some reason are standalone games in the West). Here it's the same game called Behind Enemy Lines (here - meaning where its devs are)

CoH ripped off heavily from it - fact.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Fun fact. WIC on normal diff have enemies with much lower HP than your units, that is why it is so easy. Enemy light tanks take 2.5 TOWS to kill on normal, on very hard 5 TOWS. I'm guessing you are actually playing on a level field only on very hard difficulty, normal diff is for pussies.

Steve

Augur
MetalCraze said:
Ulminati said:
MetalCraze said:

What bullshit? MoW,FoW and HOWW2 are exactly the same game, just different addons (which for some reason are standalone games in the West). Here it's the same game called Behind Enemy Lines (here - meaning where its devs are)

CoH ripped off heavily from it - fact.

Cover and destruction, otherwise they're completely different.

WIC was good if you just wanted to blow some shit up and do some mindless fast paced fighting.

COH was superior in terms of realism and actual strategy, but was slower paced, at least in the beginning.

I thought the campaigns for both were decent. Multiplayer was alright. Never did find anyone on WIC, though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
For you bro even MoH, CoD and BF3 are different games.

Steve said:

Except CoH is all about cover, just like BEL (let's call them this way to avoid extra butthurt). Very similar mechanics of progression. The main difference is that BEL has an option of more direct control over soldiers.
And missions without basebuilding (which make half of all missions there) play very very alike.

In fact if not for the basebuilding missions I'd have liked the game a lot.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
UmJO6.gif

Marobug

MetalCraze said:
For you bro even MoH, CoD and BF3 are different games.

Steve said:

Except CoH is all about cover, just like BEL (let's call them this way to avoid extra butthurt). Very similar mechanics of progression. The main difference is that BEL has an option of more direct control over soldiers.
And missions without basebuilding (which make half of all missions there) play very very alike.

If Coh is a mow rip off then moh or whatever you want to call it is a rip off of pretty much every WWII rts that preceded it. Fucked up logic there :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom