Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline World in Conflict servers closing permanently - Petition to stop the madness

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This was posted on Massgate Forums on 27th of August:

Morgoth said:
Dear World in Conflict fans,

Sadly, all great things must come to an end and this is true even for World in Conflict. It is with sadness that we now inform you that all online services for World in Conflict will be shut-down as of October 6th 2015. It was a very difficult decision to make but for several reasons it is not possible to keep the servers online anymore. This includes Massgate, the game severs and the forums, which means it will only be possible to play campaign and LAN games after that.

Your enjoyment of our games have always been what matters most to us. We are forever grateful for the dedication and love you have shown over the eight years since release. While this marks the end of this World in Conflict saga you should know we are working hard on other titles we hope you will come to enjoy just as much. We also want you to know that World in Conflict has a very special place in our heart and while there currently are no plans for a sequel, you never know what the future might hold!

If you have any questions regarding the shut-down, please reach out to the Customer Support team at support.ubi.com.

In closing – we at Massive thank you for your support and the love you have shown. Don’t be surprised if you see some of us joining you on the battlefield during these last weeks of World in Conflict!

// Massive Entertainment

Here's another take on the story:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/337763/World+in+Conflict+servers+to+shut+down+in+October/

For those who don't know, World in Conflict is the best RTS (or RTT) game ever created. So if you haven't tried it yet, it's better to start right away because after a month it's all over - you will never, ever, be able to play this game again the way us graybeards played it back in the day.

Fans have also started a PETITION to stop Ubisoft from shutting down the servers:

https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-massive-entertainment-save-world-in-conflict

It's now or never guys. Sign the petition. Tomorrow it might be too late. And enjoy the game while you still can. I sure as hell will.

EDIT: The serves shutdown has been postponed temporarily due to fan feedback! (2.10.)

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Use this month to do as many packet grabs as you can men.

If you really enjoy the game then you can try to emulate the servers. Or maybe the game company will be nice and just let you have the server code, but probably not.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron

If there's no in-game client for multiplayer, how many people are going to even find the multiplayer servers? The WIC servers haven't exactly been full in the last years to begin with, now this group is going to be trimmed down even further. With Massgate, new players came and went all the time, but if there's no in-game client, the number of new players will drop to almost non existent.

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
The did say LAN, didn't they? What's the problem again?

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
The did say LAN, didn't they? What's the problem again?

Pubs are going to be gone and with them all the new players as well. LANs can't really uphold the player base. Worldwide we will struggle to get even 1-2 servers going at one time. Massgate has been very user friendly environment for both the new and old players. Getting a group of 16 decent players to play at the same time without Massgate is going to be next to impossible, especially since Massgate forums will also cease to operate on 6th of October.

Deakul

Augur
Meh, it was fun for its time but there's literally no strategy to the game.

Mass heavy tanks and you win.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This was posted on Massgate Forums on 27th of August:

Here's another take on the story:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/337763/World+in+Conflict+servers+to+shut+down+in+October/

For those who don't know, World in Conflict is the best RTS (or RTT) game ever created. So if you haven't tried it yet, it's better to start right away because after a month it's all over - you will never, ever, be able to play this game again the way us graybeards played it back in the day.

Fans have also started a PETITION to stop Ubisoft from shutting down the servers:

https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-massive-entertainment-save-world-in-conflict

It's now or never guys. Sign the petition. Tomorrow it might be too late. And enjoy the game while you still can. I sure as hell will.

Fuck them. I remember the last time I tried a game and it was filled with the most disgusting faggots that would kick anyone that tried to have fun. If you deviated from the team leaders strategy for a second or failed to follow exact orders within 5 seconds you were kicked and abused. Saw it to others, saw it with me(being rusty and not all that familiar with MP it would take a few seconds to orient as to what to do. There wasn't even much choice to pick another as they were all either private(2-3) or these 5-6 fanatic staffed matches...worst community I've ever come across.

It's a great SP game, still looks great, but as a RTS best evah? Nigga pleez...

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
Yea, the community is not that welcoming to new players - this has been a problem for many years. In a way it also tells about the extent of cooperation required in multiplayer - if even one of the 8 players in the team doesn't know what he should be doing, the entire team will fall, assuming the opposing team doesn't also have someone equally incompetent. The WIC MP has had the most intense and rewarding game play experiences of my life but it's rare that the team balance is just right for that magic to happen. MP also gives talented player enormous possibilities to shine. Providing repairs for air units through TA drop jeeps and visibility through TA paratroopers and other hidden units is crucial for victory in WIC. Also using TA radar to reveal units hidden in smoke is many times more useful than trying to catch them with blind tankbusters. There's so many tactical nuances to WIC that people who just try the SP will completely miss.

The community became completely inbred and retarded after WIC IP was completely abandoned after the release of Soviet Assault. Then Ubisoft bought Massive and killed WIC forever.

Last edited:

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
I tried the first Wargame and was thoroughly disappointed since they hyped it to be something similar to WIC, but in reality it's nothing like WIC - you should try WIC MP if you think they're similar. I even bought the damn Wargame when it was new and expensive, played maybe 5 hours and now it collects dust in my Steam collection.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I played a little WIC and it is awesome, but it was many years ago. In my memory, they are similar, but I have a shit memory, so....yeah. :)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
WIC was a mediocre rts whose community was as toxic as your average MOBA. Good riddance.

Like others have said, you could blob to win and people in public game were extremely intolerant of people trying to have fun

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
Server shutdown has been postponed due to fan feedback!

Massgate said:
Shutdown Postponed
UzdcUMvtwYjQIjO-128x128-noPad.jpg

World in Conflict Community
Oct 2, 2015 — World in Conflict Fans,

Congratulations! Your voices have been heard! Today, October 2nd, Massive announced that they are postponing the server shutdown while they continue investigating possible community-based solutions. This is great news and cause for celebration, however our work is not yet done.

WiC's long term future remains uncertain. It is important to continue showing support for the game. If you feel so inclined, visit the General Discussion forums at Massgate.net and express your gratitude for Massive's continued efforts to save WiC. Also, if you come across a WiC fan who hasn't signed the petition, send them here. Most importantly, keep playing and enjoying World in Conflict!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom