Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - Remake

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Really pumped for this. This is one the first games I clearly remember playing as a kid. Fucking great that you can switch too.
Man, I'm getting so pumped from these videos, I feel like dusting off my Wii and playing the version I bought on their shitty store.

The game will launch in Spring 2017 on the Nintendo Switch, the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One. The PC version should come shortly after (in the best case scenario we may be able to release it on the same date, but it may need to be delayed because PC compatibility is really tough to get right).
pls no bring to my PC as soon as possible

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I only ever played Wonderboy in Monster Land, and that on the Amstrad CPC (So...SLOW!).

This looks awesome, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Falksi

Arcane
First I've heard if this. By far and away the best Master System game I played, and a classic. Cant wait :)

Machocruz

Arcane
This is one of the few SMS games that was as good as the best NES games. All the Wonder Boy games were pretty good, if limited. I wonder how much the shitty box arts limited the success of the system though. Anyway, this remake looks phenomenal. Just found out about it a few weeks ago. Where/when the hell was it revealed and how did I miss it?

Falksi

Arcane
This is one of the few SMS games that was as good as the best NES games. All the Wonder Boy games were pretty good, if limited. I wonder how much the shitty box arts limited the success of the system though. Anyway, this remake looks phenomenal. Just found out about it a few weeks ago. Where/when the hell was it revealed and how did I miss it?

Interesting shout regards the box art, don't disagree as such, but there was something very 80's-chic about them at the time.
What other SMS games would you say were up there with the better NES ones?

Machocruz

Arcane
Interesting shout regards the box art, don't disagree as such, but there was something very 80's-chic about them at the time.

R-Type, Phantasy Star, Outrun, Shinobi, Golvellius, Rambo -First Blood 2, Ys. Sonic the Hedgehog, and various other Genesis ports. I'd say most of the good games were ports, very few good exclusives.

Gunnar

Arbiter

R-Type, Phantasy Star, Outrun, Shinobi, Golvellius, Rambo -First Blood 2, Ys. Sonic the Hedgehog, and various other Genesis ports. I'd say most of the good games were ports, very few good exclusives.

Agree and also Space Harrier, Golden Axe, Golden Axe Warrior, Quartet, Thunder Blade and alll the Wonder Boys

Max Stats

Liturgist
Golden Axe

The SMS port wasn't so great. 1 player only and can only play as Ax(less) Battler (though at least you could choose the chick or dwarf's magic). It's right up there with Double Dragon NES and Final Fight SNES in not realizing the main draw was the multiplayer.

The Genesis version was great, though.

Falksi

Arcane

Yeah good shout, and again good point about the ports. Think Gunnar lists some good ones too, only other ones I can think of are Castle of Illusion, Micro Machines, Ghostbusters and Zillion. Great little system, personally I've fonder memories of it than the NES

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah good shout, and again good point about the ports. Think Gunnar lists some good ones too, only other ones I can think of are Castle of Illusion, Micro Machines, Ghostbusters and Zillion. Great little system, personally I've fonder memories of it than the NES
I would have thought more highly of the SMS if more of the good games were available in my area. I was limited to the local video rental shops and toy stores. Only when the system was already dead did I start finding out about the full library. And I don't know how many of the ports were good, but had to be better than some of the dreck that I saw on shelves. Hmm, let's see Ninja Gaiden or...Captain Silver?

Falksi

Arcane
I would have thought more highly of the SMS if more of the good games were available in my area. I was limited to the local video rental shops and toy stores. Only when the system was already dead did I start finding out about the full library. And I don't know how many of the ports were good, but had to be better than some of the dreck that I saw on shelves. Hmm, let's see Ninja Gaiden or...Captain Silver?

Captain Silver! Crikey, never played that one, but the name and box art brings back memories.

Falksi

Arcane
Wow, never seen a Zillion fan in the wild! Ever beat it?

Another rare one I played back in the day, can't remember much about it though, except dodging rocks from a cyclops while in a boat.

Nah never beat it unfortunately. I was still quite young when the SMS was in it's pomp, and back then I wouldn't finish half as many games.
It reminded me very much of a BBC game called Stryker's Run 2 which I also loved, so I instantly fell in love with it.
Good little vid this....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYpp9-gYXlo
How could I forget Alex Kidd in Shinobi World?!?

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
Wow, never seen a Zillion fan in the wild! Ever beat it?

Another rare one I played back in the day, can't remember much about it though, except dodging rocks from a cyclops while in a boat.

Nah never beat it unfortunately. I was still quite young when the SMS was in it's pomp, and back then I wouldn't finish half as many games.
It reminded me very much of a BBC game called Stryker's Run 2 which I also loved, so I instantly fell in love with it.
Good little vid this....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYpp9-gYXlo
How could I forget Alex Kidd in Shinobi World?!?

Getting to the end of Zillion was hard, and you could still fail by not having the proper floppy disk to enter the destruct codes and... there was a time limit to escape the maze before everything blew up and you got the game over screen. I had the former happen a few times but thankfully not the latter, getting out on my first attempt and never touching the game again!

Funny watching that video there were a lot of SMS games I never played, including Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, though I did play and complete the other two Alex Kidd Games. Alex Kidd in Miracle World in particular is a trippy game and had some surprisingly diverse levels, though the platforming hasn't aged well and that soundtrack... eeeugh.

Did you ever play Quartet? It was supposedly an arcade port but the game is completely different (and way better) than the arcade game by the same name. Very good platformer and still a lot of fun to this day. I remember one time I reached the final level, and wanted to show off to my brother but I knew he would never believe me so I PAUSED the game until he came home. He walked in and I hit PAUSE again to resume playing - but accidentally hit RESET - fucking shitty SMS design!!! :argh:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I loved my SMS. I always felt games in general weren’t as good as the NES library (I also had one though) but it had some great ones: Golden Axe Warrior is a pretty nifty Zelda clone, and what about the very first Phantasy Star? Some games weren’t straight ports like Sonic which had its own version, same thing with Castle of Illusions (I replayed it last year and managed to beat it; still got it!). I spent hours on the SMS version of Sonic until I got a Genesis and discovered that one: it blew me away but I always kept some fondness for the SMS version.

And then some ports did unique stuff: the SMS port of Ghouls 'n Ghosts kept the same framework but reworked a few things that made the game interesting.

Falksi

Arcane
Getting to the end of Zillion was hard, and you could still fail by not having the proper floppy disk to enter the destruct codes and... there was a time limit to escape the maze before everything blew up and you got the game over screen. I had the former happen a few times but thankfully not the latter, getting out on my first attempt and never touching the game again!

Funny watching that video there were a lot of SMS games I never played, including Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, though I did play and complete the other two Alex Kidd Games. Alex Kidd in Miracle World in particular is a trippy game and had some surprisingly diverse levels, though the platforming hasn't aged well and that soundtrack... eeeugh.

Did you ever play Quartet? It was supposedly an arcade port but the game is completely different (and way better) than the arcade game by the same name. Very good platformer and still a lot of fun to this day. I remember one time I reached the final level, and wanted to show off to my brother but I knew he would never believe me so I PAUSED the game until he came home. He walked in and I hit PAUSE again to resume playing - but accidentally hit RESET - fucking shitty SMS design!!! :argh:

Haha, the "good ol" days of hard gaming! Lol.
And that's brilliant! Lol. I had reset a fee paused games myself back in the day too. Many a cart went flying across the room in frustration! Never played Quartet though. Was it a cart ir card?

Gunnar

Arbiter

Haha, the "good ol" days of hard gaming! Lol.
And that's brilliant! Lol. I had reset a fee paused games myself back in the day too. Many a cart went flying across the room in frustration! Never played Quartet though. Was it a cart ir card?

It's a cart, I still fire it up every now and again. It has jetpacks and you can level up your gun, good fun.

Falksi

Arcane
It's a cart, I still fire it up every now and again. It has jetpacks and you can level up your gun, good fun.

I'm gunna have to root around and find some way of playing it. Can't believe I haven't yet after all these years

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've often wondered what games the SMS managed to do properly. As I'm not familiar with the platform I'm not really in a position to comment, except to say that I hear that "Spy vs Spy" on the SMS is a really good conversion.

---

Arcane
Thanks to the SJW friends, now we have...

... WONDER GIRL!
22.gif

#wymynpowerz

Falksi

Arcane
Someone has to do his dishes whilst he's out dragon slaying. She's cleaned his sword up a treat.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, I think. And I do remember that other Wonder Boy game, in the Master System:

wonder-boy.png

This screen is of the acarde version, tho.

This was one game i could never finish. I remember it just going on and on and i'm not even sure whether it had an ending.

Best one was Monster Land though:

I used to be able to finish this one in one go. Hah, the memories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom