Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Peter

Arcane
You can't expect your game about shooting robo-Nazis and eating dog food to be taken as Serious Art by having your protagonist spurt out some pseudo-philosophical grimdark wankery once in a while. I also like how the protagonist of the series about killing Nazis is becoming more and more Aryan looking with every installment. AAA shit is in a weird place right now, obviously trying to be srs bzns (with shit like this, Tomb Raider, a bunch of recent Ubi titles that are even trying to get real meta) while still being brainless entertainment. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

Other than the ridiculous story stuff on display, typical :popamole:. Don't remember the last time I've seen AI that dumb, both in the shootouts and in the faux-stealth segments. Oh well, at least there is a faux-stealth element and you're not spending 90% of the gameplay looking at someone's ass and waiting for them to open doors for you.

DeepOcean

Arcane
THAT level they shown up... I don't know if I laugh, I remember old Call of Duty 1 having levels with more complexity. I know it was the tutorial, but this was what they chosen to make the marketing of the game. I just read a few commentaries in some mainstream sites about this gameplay video and even the popamolers say it looks boring and the people who liked it go into butthurt mode, not a good sign.

The nazi soldiers with their backs turned to you was just something out of a comedy. Again, this could just be the tutorial but if the rest of the game is this way... fucking Wolfenstein 2009 is more fun.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wait for the day one extended gameplay videos from Giant Bomb and others. Not like you need this on release anyway.

Astral Rag

Arcane
My highly scientific prediction:

rpgcodexwolf3dvswolf2q4r7b.jpg

Exclusive Enhanced Special Edition:
enhancedwolfrpgcodexb5yxiw.jpg

Last edited:

7/10

Learned
1992 OLD SKUL CLASSIC MODE: no objective markers on the map

Deleted member 7219

Beth sure knows how to make nice trailers. The nicer the trailer, the shittier the game?

:what:

First off... awful cover of Nowhere to Run. And wtf is going on? So when exactly is this game set? An alternate timeline 1960's if the Nazis had won? Seen it in Fatherland or read it in Man in the High Castle. And how do they get 21st+ century tech into the 1960's? Or is this game actually set in the 21st century... but then... how is that kooky doctor still alive? WTF is going on here?

I would love to see a game set in the Fatherland universe.

Obsidian wanted to make a spy RPG and it ended up being Alpha Protocol. Imagine if they had set it in a grounded, dystopian universe where the Nazis had won WW2, and you played someone trying to piece together evidence of past Nazi atrocities. Set it in an open world Welthauptstadt Germania, the Albert Speer / Adolf Hitler vision of Berlin. That is much more interesting to me than another Wolfenstein game where you are blasting away robots or whatever.

Drakron

Arcane
Obsidian wanted to make a spy RPG and it ended up being Alpha Protocol. Imagine if they had set it in a grounded, dystopian universe where the Nazis had won WW2, and you played someone trying to piece together evidence of past Nazi atrocities.

History is written by the victors, there would be no "atrocities" ... not any more that American Polio Blankets and Japanese American Internment camps.

That is much more interesting to me than another Wolfenstein game where you are blasting away robots or whatever.

No, it would not ... sounds like some bullshit, you can make a game set in that way sure enough but point is you have to make it believable and so over the top villeins with SEIG HEIL SHOOT EVERYTHING stormtroopers would not work because the key word is "dystopian", not "cartoonish".

Wolfstein was like that even the previous entry but looking at this one they apparently are taking things into SERIOUS, I cannot even joke about Blazkowicz being a jew and collectibles being gold because they started giving him monologues and the whole is looking to me they ARE being serious about things and not being Captain America type of "serious", simply before it was killing Nazis and their crazy Nazi machines, now they have that with grimdark serious because thats the impression I got from the last stream.

Deleted member 7219

Obsidian wanted to make a spy RPG and it ended up being Alpha Protocol. Imagine if they had set it in a grounded, dystopian universe where the Nazis had won WW2, and you played someone trying to piece together evidence of past Nazi atrocities.

History is written by the victors, there would be no "atrocities" ... not any more that American Polio Blankets and Japanese American Internment camps.

What are you talking about? You can't wipe out millions of people like the Nazis did and leave not a trace. That is the whole point of the Fatherland novel, people wonder what the hell happened to the Jews and the others that the Nazis said were "deported to the east".

With the Nazis winning the Second World War, their program of racial extermination would probably have continued to their newly conquered territories in the Soviet Union - and the UK would have been asked to deport its Jews to the extermination camps too. This actually happened in Jersey. It isn't hard to imagine someone intelligent, not under the yoke of the Nazis, to investigate more. They don't even have to win and beat the Nazis and reveal the holocaust - Fatherland leaves it ambiguous - it is the potential for a story that makes it interesting.

That is much more interesting to me than another Wolfenstein game where you are blasting away robots or whatever.

No, it would not ... sounds like some bullshit, you can make a game set in that way sure enough but point is you have to make it believable and so over the top villeins with SEIG HEIL SHOOT EVERYTHING stormtroopers would not work because the key word is "dystopian", not "cartoonish".

Did you even read what I wrote? I wasn't talking about stormtroopers or anything cartoonish, but a grounded spy RPG.

Wolfstein was like that even the previous entry but looking at this one they apparently are taking things into SERIOUS, I cannot even joke about Blazkowicz being a jew and collectibles being gold because they started giving him monologues and the whole is looking to me they ARE being serious about things and not being Captain America type of "serious", simply before it was killing Nazis and their crazy Nazi machines, now they have that with grimdark serious because thats the impression I got from the last stream.

I don't understand how you could have thought the new Wolfenstein game was going for the serious vibe based on the latest trailer.

Drakron

Arcane
What are you talking about? You can't wipe out millions of people like the Nazis did and leave not a trace. That is the whole point of the Fatherland novel, people wonder what the hell happened to the Jews and the others that the Nazis said were "deported to the east".

Oh, you mean like the native population of the Americas?

Not to mention genocide isnt exactly new to European either, the jewish community were thought to been extinct in Ibera for example, again this isnt new ... ethical and religious persecution to the point of extinction wasnt uncommon, the Huguenots are also a example.

Fact is nobody would care until centuries later when it because a "historical curiosity", plus we ARE talking about a totalitarian regime here ... Stalin had deportations in the scale of millions and we only hear about when some dumbass goes about complaining about Communism.

With the Nazis winning the Second World War ...

Nobody would know what would happen, you cannot assume the UK would go anti-smite because they lost or that Germany would push the issue, even back in WW I they knew they could not simply take hold of massive amounts of territory that culturally had few in common, this is why the Nazi installed puppet governments and maintained borders more or less.

Did you even read what I wrote? I wasn't talking about stormtroopers or anything cartoonish, but a grounded spy RPG.

We have FAR too many SERIOUS games going on, everyone appears to want to go in a soapbox and spread some message or wears a Fedora.
Like Thief.

I don't understand how you could have thought the new Wolfenstein game was going for the serious vibe based on the latest trailer.

Not talking about the trailer, I am talking about the Steam that covered the Asylum thats post-prologue and in 1960's.

THIS:

http://www.twitch.tv/bethesda/c/4125388

Are you saying THAT is not taking itself FAR too serious? even in the previous stream I was having second thoughts because of the monologues but I hoped that was just a false impression ... then this come out and I am tired of this shit.

I am really not understanding why you say it doesnt have a serious vibe because it does, its taking itself too serious even if you dont take it serious they are and this to me isnt a case of them doing it with a strait face that actually works a lot of times, this is a case of them being VERY SERIOUS about it even if you think its absurd because they apparently dont.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
So I am in the process of writing a paper on a thing called "ordoliberalism," which is basically an underground social-economic thought developed during the Third Reich. Ordoliberalism is the basis for European antitrust law and only came into spotlight after the Americans started to look for their surrogates in Europe after WWII.

I imagine if Hilter had won, ordoliberalism would be suppressed and no antitrust law would be developed post-war. And the world today would be dominated by mega corporations, which would be able to do mergers and form cartels without any restraint. Probably more like Syndicate than Man in the Castle.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This game, serious?Unless you consider Bastard Inglorious serious. Do you want something serious? Imagine if the game was about how people are easily fooled into the "security" dictatorships provide and how freedom can be destroyed little by little and no country, including the USA, is immune to that shit. The only vibe I got from this game was Nazi evil, go kill Nazi, standard comic book/video game schlock.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This game, serious?Unless you consider Bastard Inglorious serious. Do you want something serious? Imagine if the game was about how people are easily fooled into the "security" dictatorships provide and how freedom can be destroyed little by little and no country, including the USA, is immune to that shit. The only vibe I got from this game was Nazi evil, go kill Nazi, standard comic book/video game schlock.
A better term would be "unfittingly melodramatic," because the lines about young soldiers dying definitely give that impression. However, I've heard about other lines that are actually quite nice. Apparently, sometime during the campaign, B.J. says, "They put a Nazi on the moon? Fuck the moon." I like that a lot.

There was also a cutscene where he sliced a guard's neck while growling "Nazi scum!" in pure contempt, but in newer iterations of the cutscenes that line is gone =\

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.bethblog.com/2014/05/01/system-requirements-for-wolfenstein/

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8
Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD
4 GB System RAM
50 GB free HDD space
GeForce 460, ATI Radeon HD 6850
High Speed Internet Connection
Steam account and activation required

LoL Core i7 for a shitty CoD clone that also runs on PS3/360? Perhaps they're using two entirely different versions of idTech. I wouldn't be surprised if the last-gen console versions are gonna end up looking like Quake 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom