Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - set in Nazi occupied America

Ash

Arcane
You/Matt are wrong. Old school :obviously: FPS was also about platforming, puzzles, fun interactivity and non-intrusive scripted events (see: everything in Duke 3D) exploration and navigation skills, and often doing all this while shooting, adding gunplay depth and variety not seen in modern coridoor shooters where all you actually do is shoot moles and nothing else, usually with plenty garbage accompanying like shit cutscenes and banal game mechanics.

Deleted member 7219

You/Matt are wrong. Old school :obviously: FPS was also about platforming, puzzles, fun interactivity and non-intrusive scripted events (see: everything in Duke 3D) exploration and navigation skills, and often doing all this while shooting, adding gunplay depth and variety not seen in modern coridoor shooters where all you actually do is shoot moles and nothing else, usually with plenty garbage accompanying like shit cutscenes and banal game mechanics.

Jedi Knight had that. Not Doom, though.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Jedi Knight had that. Not Doom, though.
Play Marathon, bitch. All the shooting, platforming, confusing levels, scripted events, and story you could ever want in a trilogy-sized package.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

It’s not enough for the Nazis to simply subjugate the planet. That’s why they are even imposing their will on pop culture, taking what would have been iconic American TV shows and producing them with a uniquely German attitude. Watch an episode of German… or Else! right now to get a feel for life under Nazi tyranny in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
There' a bunch of brand new gameplay videos on gamersyde:
http://gamersyde.com/news_we_previewed_wolfenstein_ii-19332_en.html

Youtube versions may follow in a matter of hours or days on their channel.

Here's a bunch of screenshots:

image_wolfenstein_ii_the_new_colossus-36065-3889_0001.jpg

image_wolfenstein_ii_the_new_colossus-36065-3889_0002.jpg

image_wolfenstein_ii_the_new_colossus-36065-3889_0003.jpg

image_wolfenstein_ii_the_new_colossus-36065-3889_0004.jpg

image_wolfenstein_ii_the_new_colossus-36065-3889_0005.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-each-starring-a-different-playable-character

Wolfenstein 2 DLC lets you play as different characters
One's called Joseph Stallion.

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 27/07/2017

Wolfenstein 2 has four DLC episodes - and they star different playable characters.

jpg

The idea is that while BJ Blazkowicz is busy fighting in America, other freedom fighters are fighting on their own fronts.

Here are the four DLC episodes, as per Bethesda:

• Episode Zero - Episode Zero introduces you to Joseph Stallion, Jessica Valiant and Gerald Wilkins as they fight for freedom in the American Territories. Blast your way through Nazis using unique abilities and an arsenal of guns in this opening DLC mission.
  • The Adventures of Gunslinger Joe - As former professional quarterback Joseph Stallion, smash through Nazi hordes from the ruins of Chicago to the vastness of space!
  • The Diaries of Agent Silent Death - As ex-OSS agent and assassin Jessica Valiant, infiltrate Nazi bunkers in California and discover the secrets of Operation San Andreas!
  • The Amazing Deeds of Captain Wilkins - As the US Army's renowned hero Captain Gerald Wilkins, embark on a mission to Nazi-controlled Alaska to dismantle Operation Black Sun!
You get all the DLC packs as part of The Freedom Chronicles Season Pass, which costs £17.99. Episode Zero is also a pre-order bonus.

Wolfenstein 2 comes out on 27th October 2017 on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/w...nstein-trilogy-bloody-roadtrips-and-doom.aspx

MachineGames Talks Wolfenstein Trilogy, Bloody Road Trips, And Doom
interview

by Javy Gwaltney on July 27, 2017 at 07:04 AM

Wolfenstein4610.jpg

In 2009, much of Starbreeze Studios, the developer behind critical darlings The Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay and The Darkness, left to found MachineGames. In 2014, MachineGames released Wolfenstein: The New Order to praise for the game's blend of strong storytelling and old-time First-person shooter action. During a preview event for Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, we got a chance to chat with creative director Jens Matthies for this thoughts on the developer's vision of Wolfenstein, the relationship between MachineGames and id Software, and what we can expect from Wolfenstein II. (Note: This interview has been edited)

We’re going to a lot of places in The New Colossus: New Orleans, Roswell, Manhattan. Would you call The New Colossus a roadtrip game, like The Last Of Us but with Nazis instead of zombies?

[Laughs] That’s a good analogy, actually! It’s funny because we knew early on when we were making The New Order that we wanted to make a trilogy, so we had our sort of grand scheme of things of how events would progress in a sequel. We always thought for a sequel that it would be amazing to go to the U.S. not just because it’s a cool setting but also because it’s BJ’s homeland. So there’s this experience of him going to a place where he grew up and just see it taken over by his mortal enemies, that’s a powerful thing conceptually.

We knew where we were going and then we just solicited ideas from the team. Everyone on the team just pitched on what would be the coolest places to turn into levels, knowing we’re doing a sort of U.S.-centric geography. And we had tons of really cool ideas. So on one hand you want to do stuff that isn’t over-exploited but on the other, you want some really nice U.S. icons to see how do those turn out under the Nazi oppression. So I think it’s a healthy mix of those.

Both Fergus and Wyatt show up in the trailers we’ve seen and the content we’ve played for Wolfenstein II. Does this mean that the game supports both timelines from The New Order?

Yes, you’ll be able to choose your timeline in the game’s prologue. We support both timelines.

The New Colossus, both conceptually and level-wise, feels much bigger and ambitious than The New Order and The Old Blood. It feels like Wolfenstein is growing. So much of what worked about The New Order was its attention to story development through small character moments and satisfying linear level design. Do you worry about losing focus with the sequel?

Oh yeah, for sure. Anytime you go to big, you run a tremendous risk of over-scoping it, and you only have so much time and money to make the game. So early on, you have to really try to have good metrics of what you want to do and how to stretch that game to that point and not beyond it, and that’s a really science in and of itself. I think we’re getting better at it over the years but yeah, it’s still incredibly challenging and one of the hardest obstacles when designing a game. But I feel good about where we’re heading, so I think we’re in a good place.

shot00033_5F00_1080p_5F00_1500280999.png

Both MachineGames and Starbreeze have a reputation for developing AAA games where character development is key. These games often have scenes that don’t advance the plot necessarily but give characters room to breath. This design philosophy seems pretty rare outside of BioWare games. Can you talk about why you think that is?

I think it’s two things. One of them is…I don’t think it’s actually true that it doesn’t move the plot forward. But, for example, the scene in The Darkness with Jenny on the couch does move the plot forward in that it makes what happens to Jenny later on more powerful. It wouldn’t be nearly as meaningful if that first scene didn’t exist, so they’re not there by accident.

And that’s the thing when you’re making a game. You have very little room for happy accidents, partly because the process is so expensive. Whatever you actually record and put into production has to matter, so things that don’t always look like they matter, we’ve layered in some sort of meaning that has a longer-term goal.

At the same time, I think we are very conscious of allowing the player to work at their own pace and there are many different players out there who want to achieve goals efficiently as they can and when they do that, they’re going to miss stuff – but that’s fine because that’s the kind of player they are and what they enjoy most. But for other players, they love to explore and getting something out of that. I think our goal is to create the richest, most emotionally believable world, a world that you can believe in and are transported to. A world like that has to respond to you no matter what you do, and so we invest a lot of time and effort in creating that experience.

We’re basically making a game we want to be inside of, and that’s what it all boils down to.

Both Doom and Wolfenstein are Bethesda properties now, and it feels like Doom went one way and embraced the heritage of the original game so hard – it’s very rhythmic and arcadey and over the top, and The New Order veered away from that, taking on a more narrative-focused design. Does MachineGames talk with id Software frequently? What do you think of the diverging paths of the two properties?

Yeah! We talk a lot with id. We love id and have a great relationship with them. I mean, we’re developing on the same engine, so we’re connected on a technical level, and I feel pretty happy we’re on different paths that help distinguish these games from one another, but I don’t necessarily agree that we changed the premise from the original Wolfenstein 3D. Back then what tools did they really have to tell a story? I think seeing the tools that they had at that time, I think they did. I think what we’re doing with Wolfenstein is a plausible interpretation of the original, considering the extreme difference in technical ability and just the experience we have compared to what a few teenagers back then had.

Because we really wanted to honor what the original Wolfenstein 3D was about. What we’ve done with BJ is as close as we could make him to the modern-day version of the original BJ Blazkowicz, which I think is different from a lot of other Wolfenstein games that came in-between, where he sort of veered between different looks and personalities.

For more on Wolfenstein II, check out our hands-on preview and 20 details we noticed from our time with the game.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know the frau is evil when she is fat-shaming her own daughter in front of Blaskovich.

What I find funny is that apparently the only "race" serving in the German army is actual Germans. At least it's being implied from one conversion in the gameplay video. I have a hard time believing you can subdue the whole world without recruiting outside your own population. But then again the game is campy as hell :)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
You know the frau is evil when she is fat-shaming her own daughter in front of Blaskovich.

What I find funny is that apparently the only "race" serving in the German army is actual Germans. At least it's being implied from one conversion in the gameplay video. I have a hard time believing you can subdue the whole world without recruiting outside your own population. But then again the game is campy as hell :)

It's mostly robots and other Wunderwaffen gadgets aiding the Herrenrasse in their great burden to free the world of degeneracy.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah I did notice a lot of robots. Next Wolfenstein will tackle the inevitable robot uprising.

Btw, did you see the broken combat late in the video? The amount of insta-kills moves he performed in a row. That base got decimated by his fancy ninja moves.

lightbane

Arcane
So, I read that "anti-walkthrough" thing it was posted in the Codex. Darn, these games are even worse than I thought with such writing fuck-ups. But then again most of the devs invariably look like annoying fags, complete with stupid hair. Then... What's up with still having Half-life 2 style cutscenes in which you stand still as a camera in 2017? For not to mention minor bugs that no-one seemed to mind like that clipping, or the transition from CGI cutscene to gampeplay which was a bit jarring, or other details such as how the still hilariously evil not-Merkel has an impossibly fat daughter in spite of the absurdity of it, etc.

At least the guns now look as ridiculously enormous in-game as they do in your hud display. :lol:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I watched a bunch of videos this morning of gameplay -- you could tell the IGN one was played on a console, from the lack of vertical looking and the over-compensating on turns. Then, of course, I had to read Polygon's take on it, and Arthur is complaining that the game is too hard.

What the fuck is with these people? Why do so many journalists suck at video games? The IGN video was played on a console and looked easy as hell. What's Arthur's fucking problem?

SJW faggot hacks who can't into videogames, make a living out of writing about videogames.

This particular SJW faggot hack cried about the lack of 'cultural diversity' in Witcher 3 and got owned by just about everyone.

News at 11

DeepOcean

Arcane
50 mins of takedowns and cutscenes, why someone should bother with this? Even on D44M 2016 you had to damage the enemy before you could start the invincibility takedown loop.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What does the Jewsuit even do
Does it work like the Nanosuit?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom