Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - open world isometric action-RPG

Mustawd

Zombra > Umbra > Wolcen

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I've got a new video up (should be 1080p whenever youtube wants to fucking do something about it, i.e. it started out at 360p and now it's at 720p 60HD, it's getting there) showing the new 'Weapon Based Combo' System and the 'Resource Opposition' System (ROS).

The Weapon Based combo system is in its initial pass (there's not too much meat to it right now, but it's cool enough). The ROS is a pain to micromanage; I see that some tweaks are needing to happen to it to bring it up to a usable state.

I upgraded to a 960GB SSD, so this video should be a lot smoother than before, as previously space and recording on the same drive were bottlenecks that were causing quality drops with my recorded videos.

Hope you guys like it.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The features of 0.2.0
MAY 20 -ALAN [WOLCEN]
Hi everyone !

Update 0.2.0 is right around the corner, bringing many improvements to core gameplay mechanics ! Here's some of the things we've been working on for a while :

Weapon Based Combos

We really wanted combat in Wolcen to feel visceral and satisfying, and weapons to represent more than just a bunch of statistics.
Now your basic weapon attack (left click) will be replaced with a combo skill depending on the type of weapon equipped. Each combo is different and features unique animations, ranges and cleave angles, as well as special effects like a chance to stun.
Experienced players will be able to take advantage of mid-combo bonuses by timing their strikes, and more casual players will get to enjoy awesome animations.

This is the very first iteration of this system, for this reason there might be a few minor issues, but we really want to hear your feedback on this. The next versions will add a special move assigned to right click (like a charged attack or a guard if you have a shield equipped), and an auto-dash feature, allowing you to close-in on the enemy with a fast attack.

R.O.S
Our second big feature is one we call “Resource Opposition System”.
Early during development it became clear to the team that resource management was an issue in the game. Being classless, it featured three different resource pools: Mana, Rage and Stamina.
Players were able to empty one of those resources, and they would still have enough to cast powerful spells with the other, and then still have enough for defensive spells that used Stamina.
Our solution was a system we affectionally dubbed “Le Sablier”
Le Sablier was an hourglass-shaped resource gauge that could rotate on itself. It featured a single resource pool that changed type between mana and rage depending on which side of the hourglass it was in.
Mana flowed into Rage when it was up, and Rage slowly dripped into Mana. This system would in theory solve many issues of the old one and would add a lot of depth to the gameplay.

In the first iteration of this system you could shift the hourglass-vial whenever you wanted to, but it was too confusing to do that in the middle of combat. We then switched to an automatic system.
Because this system imposed a strict rule that resources had to transfer from the top section to the bottom one, the hourglass had to shift every-time a resource was spent.
This had the unfortunate side effect of slowing the gameplay down, so we made the difficult choice of cancelling this system.

We then developed a system not so different using simpler gauges, that allowed for resources to transfer quickly both-ways. Stamina was streamlined into points, and rolling uses one stamina point. It also was the perfect opportunity to finally rename Mana into Umbra, the magical energy of the game.

With this new system called Resource Opposition System, both Umbra and Rage will be useful, whether you play as a mage, warrior or a hybrid type of character. Because each resource fills the other in some way, every spell in the game can be useful no matter what your play style.
New passives will allow warriors to transfer Umbra into rage when hit, or delay the time before Rage starts to fill Umbra. Mages will be able to accelerate the rate at which Rage gets transferred into Umbra.
There is only one resource pool, and players will have to manage how it is spread across Umbra and Rage.

We can’t wait to hear your feedback and to improve on this system with the help of the community.

We obviously needed a new UI to go with the new system, and after many prototypes, here it is:

wqtfunk.jpg

Unfortunately, due to the dramatic changes in the game code, old saves will not be compatible with the new version. We hope you understand and will enjoy having a fresh start in the game.

As always, thank you for your patience and support. Have fun!

Patch 0.2.0 : Redesigned main UI and Major gameplay changes! New melee system with per weapon combo attacks, New visuals for magical items, Ressource Opposition system and more !
MAY 21 -DANY
Hi everyone !
It took some time to release that patch, because it brings some game changing features.

The ressource Opposition Sytem (Mana vs Rage) is now implemented, and a whole new UI has been designed for it !
The new melee system shown in our devblog video is now released ! Also, thje patch brings the new magical effects we shown you in our devblog !

1.jpg

YouTube™ Video:DevBlog - Per-weapon combo styles & New magic effects
Views: 1,848

To have all the details, please readthe post here.

Now, here is the changelog !

GENERAL:
New : ROS (for Resource Opposition System) : a brand new system for managing resources.
New : Combo attacks for all weapon classes, with new animations and passive effects.
Changed : Mana is now called Umbra.
Improved: Low graphic settings are more optimized. Now displays lower texture resolution.
Several new weapon trails are implemented
Added a new system for spawning particle over magic weapons.

ENVIRONMENT:
New: A temple replace the dark forest. It is still WIP.
Various changes and optimizations
Fixed an inaccessible zone at the beginning
Fixed a physic problem at the same zone
Fixed: torchs shadows
Lighting improvements in Amarth, depending on the weather.

LOCALIZATION:
Fixed: Russian language is now in the menu selection
Fixed: Lots of corrections and improvements in both EN and FR

IA:
Fixed NightStalkers not reacting to ranged attacks

UI:
Whole New HUD (for ROS)!
New: Option to choose the scale of the HUD.
Right click should now equip any item on the correct slot.
Fixed a bug allowing players to equip weapons on armor slots.
While dual wielding, removing the item in the left hand will automatically set the right hand item in the left hand.
Fixed the size of some weapon items
Fixed a bug that was not removing active effects icons.
Added description over active effects icons
Added tooltip for almost all UI elements

GAMEPLAY:
New : Umbral Catalyst spell. Unleash devastating spells for a few seconds !
Slightly changed the camera angle

RENDERING:
New: Reworked default trails for all weapon combos
New: added new particle effects for magic weapons
Improved: directional blood for base combos

CHARACTERS:
Modified : Ogres variants are now a little heavier
Fixed : Body's material of the Butcher Zombie has been modified : the spine and eyes should no longer appear alone.

ANIMATION:
Added more than 25 new animations for per weapon combo system

Work In Progress: Character Customization and Elemental Ammo Modifiers !

Hi everyone, in today’s devblog we’re finally showing one highly requested feature ! Here’s a message from the man who made it possible :

Hello everyone, I’m Patrick, Lead Character Artist of the project.
Today, I’d like to report our progress on a feature important to us, and I’m sure, very important to you : the character customization.
As expected since the Kickstarter, you’ll soon be able to choose the hairstyle, hair color, eyes color, and skin color of your character.
And, this is a surprise : body types ! So, between four models : medium, heavy, strong and lightweight, you’ll be able to set the character that suits you best ! These settings will also be available for the upcoming female character model.
Please, watch this video to see our progress :

I hope you enjoyed this video, we will regularly bring you some news of the character appearance customizations, there will also some devblog about our character creation process.
All questions are welcome,
Cheers,
Patrick

Today we’d also like to showcase some of the upcoming additions of next week’s patch. You probably guessed it by now; crossbows are back into the game, and they bring some friends along with them !

As you can see in the video above, you can now toggle ammo modifiers when wielding a ranged weapon !
Burn your enemies with fire bolts, stun them with electric bolts and freeze them with frost ones.
Explosive bolts will spread the elemental effects, for massive area-damage. We are also adding poison, stunning, piercing and ejecting ammo. All of those can be combined at the same time for devastating effects !
But that’s not all, we’ve also added multi-shot and burst-shot fire modes. Every bolt or arrow will benefit from toggled ammo modifiers.

Stay tuned for more info on something big during the next-few weeks !

08b2730ab789a2ec518e4bd9d580eb35_original.jpg

If you look hard enough, you'll see it

Someone was talking about not wanting to play as some muscle dude, looks like there's going to be a mass and muscle slider.

Update 0.2.7 : Character Customization !
a12cb5f6d6c9cb552bdf4a7574ebe088_original.gif

9071fb8abe5b2e8b7dbff29b55888826_original.gif

Hi everyone !
Today is update day, and we're excited to bring you Character Customization ! From now on you'll be able to change how your character looks during the character creation process. We've prepared a short video showcasing the character customization window.
Please take a look :

We've also decompressed the game's files, which increases the file size of the game but should decrease loading times. Saved games are wiped with this update too.

You can read the complete changelog here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/424370/announcements/detail/802025380515929532

You can make yourself charcoal black.

Last edited:

Renevent

Cipher
This patch also majorly improved the optimization/loading times of the game. It used to stutter for me on a 970GTX/i5-4670K/16GB Ram and the loading times were terrible even on a SSD. It loads in a decent amount of time now and run very smooth. I think it might even look better now, too. The game is still very early, but it's playable now at least.

Hi everyone !
In today’s devblog, we’ll be giving you a sneak peak at the current state of the housing system.

You may remember the housing from our kickstarter video. Needless to say we’ve made huge progress since then but the core stayed the same : offering you the possibility to build your very own home, from the floor and walls to the furnitures.
Your house is also a place where you’ll be able to rest, store items, put the legendary armors and weapons you are not using on display using arms rack and much more !

Once you’ve purchased the land, you’ll have to lay down the foundations of you home by placing some floor and walls chosen from a wide range of options : stone, wood, marble...

As you may notice, we automatically place walls on the outside of your house to make it easier for you and so you have a better overview of the space you are building. However, you can replace any of those walls at any time.

Once you are happy with the space, it’s time to furnish and decorate everything. You will have at your disposal a vast choice of furnitures : tables, chairs, shelfs, plants…

bc2775a177a59d7e8bb8eb5ee636ed67_original.gif

Here are some examples of what you will be able to achieve using Wolcen’s housing:

We are very close to having a first playable version of the housing for you guys and we can’t wait to see your creations!

Stay tuned, as we are working on a huge, game-changing update that will transform the way the game is played. This is something that we have been teasing for a while, and is almost ready to be released. See you on the forums !

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What is this, Fallout 4? Does housing have any kind of gameplay effect or is it just there for builder-fags?

Deflowerer

Arcane
Extensive appearance customization in an isometric game, housing system feature that seems to serve no gameplay purpose, in an ARPG? Is this person retarded?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
My only concern is their work on something else before main core of the gameplay is finished.
This rarely end good, even under wings of publisher who tolerate terrible work management....

Drowed

Arcane
Extensive appearance customization in an isometric game, housing system feature that seems to serve no gameplay purpose, in an ARPG? Is this person retarded?

Hey, it worked wonders for Fallout 4. "Know your audience", right?

If the game is good enough and this "innovative mechanic" can be ignored, whatever.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Those were one of the top things to get people back the game, yeah people are stupid news at eleven.

Another things was playable female character. I think the outcry was so big that they had to commit to that, yes their small indie team needs to focus on a playable female character instead of making the actual game good.

duanth123

Arcane

Hey, it worked wonders for Fallout 4. "Know your audience", right?

If the game is good enough and this "innovative mechanic" can be ignored, whatever.

Maybe it's a tacit admission that no indie/kickstarter ARPG will ever reach the polished heights of Path of Exile and so must settle for providing a niche experience within the genre.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Playable female isn't really a big issue. Most arpgs have had some kind of female class/option for over a decade now. Housing, on the other hand, is really bizarre.

Mustawd

Playable female isn't really a big issue. Most arpgs have had some kind of female class/option for over a decade now. Housing, on the other hand, is really bizarre.

I guess they're trying to tap into the crafting/sim crowd, but it most definitely does not seem to fit in an ARPG.

Renevent

Cipher
I like the idea of player housing. In these games you are immensely powerful and end up amassing huge fortunes, yet are basically homeless vagrants wandering around like a bum. Being able to buy and upgrade a house, put your shit on display, etc is a nice mechanic. Slightly different genre but I loved getting the keeps in NWN2 and PoE. I see no reason, story permitting, that an ARPG can't have something similar.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In the latter case those tied in with a quest/gameplay. Rather than an aesthetic house it would be a better idea to have some kind of keep defense mode or something where instead of buying curtains and sofas you're equipping your keep with traps and archers. Would be a way to introduce a new mode for different rewards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom