Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Wizards of the Coast say the Planescape setting is available for licensing

mondblut

Arcane
Did you ever have a moment where Wizards of the Coast or Hasbro came in and vetoed a design decision? How hands-on were they?
There was one example on the design side – we wanted to have one of the companion characters be bisexual (along with his romance options), and we couldn’t convince them to allow us to do it, which was unfortunate.

So they wanted to outbioware Bioware, but Hasbro didn't let them to?

How ironic.

hiver

Now, as to Wizards and this newest development...

My previous posts must have looked like another example of enraged self-entitlement of a consumer. To some.
I dont think Fargo or Colin lied or something like it.
And these statements by WoTC should be taken with a big boulder of salt too.
It is marketing speak.

And it wasnt just a matter of money either. Of course money is important factor - in the business, but its not the only one.

Numenera setting does bring more artistic and gamedesign freedom and it is a very good setting that is very fitting for the new Torment game.
If transition must be made then this provides a great opportunity for that.

I really never argued for or wanted a new D&D Torment.
I dont care or like D&D setting at all.
Original PST wasnt good because of it but despite it.

Sigil and The Lady are the only parts of it that had a big influence on the whole PST and the only part i would take from it.

Akarnir

Educated
Third - learn what Sturgeon law is and what it means.
None of that changes the fact that you are a stupid shit. In fact it only confirms it.
Sturgeon law doesnt work like that you shallow brainless turd.

Jules verne is an example of a writer who correctly predicted future uses of technology.
Same as Arthur Clarke, for example - you ignorant cheap dumbfuck.

The others are all writers who do research on what they are writing about, including bouncing off their ideas with appropriate experts in the field and who have high formal knowledge in the fields they write or concerning technologies they use.

Which means that your stupid ignorant statements are product of an actual imbecile who has shit for a brain.
Savvy?

Go spew your disney jokes in gibson's urethral office. I did said Jule Verne was a hardworkig genius writer, describing very specific (in order to be the most accurate) reachable technological/societal stuff. Most of them actually ended up happening (in some way) in real fucking life, which was amazing.
You cunt, even those so called ''experts'' don't have any clue of what twist technology can potentially take (I'm not even talking about one definite scenario here). It's not because you ask a random nasa scientist if your whole brain fart makes isn't completely stupid sense that it's a completely accurate take on a possible future.
Honest writers like jules Verne never, ever tried to create an entire futuristic world, and they provided extensive description of each technology introduced. And most of their books ends up happening, in their present. That's right faggot, it's could barely be called science fiction by today's ridiculous standards.

Now ask even the ''best'' cyberpunk fag to just begin to explain what kind of evidence allows him to say that his specific mind reading technology will work one day. Not a vague fucking answer like '' SUPAR ADVANCED BRAYNE SCANNNAR''. Or ask him how he can be so sure that it's how the whole of society will be changed by those technologies. What kind of sociology book did he read? What kind of super bible did he used to make this simulation, when even all the best sociologist in the world can't determine how cheap electricity (cold fusion) could alter our behaviors.

hiver

You have this ignorant idiotic view that science fiction is there to predict exact future development - or basically to predict future - and correctly no less.
That is because you are a stupid ignorant dumbfuck.
And i already answered all of that in the previous, first answer to your post.

And now you will go in the list ruled by Sturgeon law.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think "obtaining an accurate prediction of technologies that will be used in the future" is near the bottom of the list of good reasons to read science fiction.

It's more important that science fiction "predictions" be interesting than accurate. Enjoyable science fiction uses interesting technology. Great science fiction uses interesting predictions to say interesting things. Cyberpunk has always been more interested in the social and political implications of technological, economic and political trends than any single piece of technology.

So, great cyberpunk makes interesting predictions about the near future to say interesting things about how people will live in it. For example, Gibson's strength was to extrapolate current trends into a somewhat extreme state to bring various unnoticed aspects of our our reality into sharp relief.

Dexter

Arcane
Of course. And, between a setting that is pure speculative garbage, and a setting more or less authentic, I take the authentic one over the speculative one. We know almost everything there is to know about many ancient societies. We know how daily lives worked, what happened, what were the consequence of each discoveries... So one well documented can start with excellent basics for a serious setting.
Fantasy and science fiction are just about escapism. Nothing more. It's highly illogical, and must not be taken seriously. It's just meant for you to dream, and escape reality. Nothing more. My point was that I would rather escape in a fantasy world, than a science fiction world. Because even I'm not supposed to question the setting, some stuff are even more annoying in science fiction. And the use of Deus Ex machina reigns supreme when you fight in a world where technology can destroy stars, mass brain control entire population, scan and observe every corners of the solar system... and where human should be transcendent beings after having acquired such a mastery of thought processing.
Magic has it's own flaws (fucking resurrection spell ) But they aren't as big as those mentioned above.
http://www.filmjunk.com/2009/01/21/treknobabble-50-top-10-star-trek-inventions-in-use-today/
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/10-star-trek-technologies1.htm

Seriously, shut the fuck up you are retarded. True Science Fiction, and not the crap that's non-stop action and only about blowing shit up has predicted a great many things, and even more important than that has not only predicted, but actively got people to believe in these kind of technologies, imagine things and try and research them, dedicating parts of their lives to it.
For instance looking into bending Space-Time: http://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-possible-interstellar-spaceflight.html
Getting closer to "the replicator": http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Technology/Building_a_lunar_base_with_3D_printing
http://www.projectholodeck.com/system
http://www.zdnet.com/quantum-teleportation-over-143km-smashes-distance-record-7000003883/

Sure, some of these things would probably have existed/been invented/happened anyway, but you can't quanitify what kind of influence a strong stimulus to want to make something happen that someone has imagined might have, especially if that idea starts to pervade society by showing a version of a future that would be worth striving for.
Who knows if without Jules Verne "From the Earth to the Moon" humanity would have been so keen on getting there by 1969 and who knows if without all the Sci-Fi series to fuel the imagination, the space programs around the world would be as prolific as they are.

tl;dr: You = :retarded:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Most good sci-fi writers come from a scientific/technical background and that allows them to speculate in a educated manner, which in turns results in good sci-fi. All the dilettantes that think sci-fi is kinda cool but don't really get it, go the William Gibson way and create some dystopia because they don't really understand science and its beneficial potential.

Because an unemployed retardo from the codex totally understand science.
You have no idea how funny that is.

As for the rest of your stupid shit, hiver, of all people, pretty much refuted all your arguments conclusively, so I see no reason to keep stoking your retarded flame. If you want to survive around here, newfag, you have to learn to troll better.

hiver

There is no need to actually cite examples to an internet retard. All who want can easily find examples of technologies and applications that were predicted correctly by many writers. And many writers who had or have various diplomas and doctorates in various disciplines and who do insane amounts of research for their stories.

Fantasy and Science Fiction - in all of its different sub genres, can and do coexist. None is attempting to subvert another.

-, hiver, of all people, -
And you - of some other kind of people, couldnt?

Akarnir

Educated
'' I would rather cut my dick with a rusty knife than return on the codex''

Should have followed that warning.

I don't even want to loose more time. Refuting my ass, that's not even close to a rationnal demonstration. More like ''FUUUCK YOU FAGGOT THERE ARE GOOD SCIENCE FICTION" YOU JUST WACHED CRAPXZ''

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
What hiver said.

The fact that those educated writers did not predict 100% of their speculations doesn't mean shit. It is not possible because for example, "small" change in the geopolitics can direct the progress of science and technology 180 degree. For example, the cease of Cold War. Instead of conquering Mars we have iPad5.
Also, it should be treated as a "potential spectrum of possibility" in the future rather than fucking omnipotent oracle. The fact is that people like Lem, Clarke etc. knew their shit and instead of writing about cpt. Kirk teleporting from his Enterprise in shitty Startrek, they were actually discussing the implications, limitations or imposibilities of such devices. Often in funny story-driven novels but also in scientific and physolophical treatises.

ps.
I just love when hiver enters his ragemode spitting all those "dumbfucks", "turds", "ignorant fucks" etc. :). It literally brings a bright smile on my face.

hiver

Sometimes its just necessary. I try only to use it when its true, though.
Plus, one who starts throwing insults automatically looses diplomatic immunity - in my book.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
-, hiver, of all people, -
And you - of some other kind of people, couldnt?
No offense, but you do have a tendency of, sometimes, flying off the handle (with fucking awesomely funny results), so I was appreciating the well reasoned arguments that didn't bash the newfag's skull in altogether. Imagine the emotional trauma he would have suffered if he were on the receiving end of something like your magnum opus ( http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/2011-the-year-in-review.74003/page-18#post-2244120 ). :D

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
rLLE3H9.jpg

hiver

Gee, yet another passive aggressive attempt to get back at me infinitron?

breakdown?
Thats some vivid imagination you have there skhuphundaku.
It does go with the territory.

DraQ

Arcane

Moribund

A droglike
You have this ignorant idiotic view that science fiction is there to predict exact future development - or basically to predict future - and correctly no less.
That is because you are a stupid ignorant dumbfuck.

Yeah, science fiction is just there for ignorant dumbfuck aspies to fap to meaningless star trek technobabble. That's exactly what scifi is about.

Speculative fiction should make you think, should explore real issues and real possibilities.

That a lot of it was quite predictive back when heinlein and even the shitpoker asimov were around shows how deep it was. Gibson's shit is jus that, shit. No one could believe one single thing in there is really going to happen, or had their mind expanded to read it. Certainly there's nothing there to aspire to. It doesn't even show a horrible warning about anything except general "oh noes future is rough".

It's meaningless shit. Well done, entertaining meaningless shit but nothing more.

That's the difference between pulp and real literature as well. But while there's some real literature being made here and there real scifi has been dead a long time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom