Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Wizards of the Coast say the Planescape setting is available for licensing

hiver

Didnt i tell you that the Lady will be set free from the cage? Didnt I?

Maaaaannn!

Isnt this a pickle?

Look... could you guys see and maybe do something?
No need to change anything about Tides of Numenera... sounds great so far, but...

Could you just get a partial license (or something similarly crazy) to use The Sigil and the Lady?
I mean, they changed the Planes so much they dont even look like our Planes anymore.

But it would be such a waste to miss the opportunity.

Maybe do a second game in Planescape?

MCA
I think they Wizards of the Coast is realising that they are slowly being phased out of CRPG market and becoming irrelevant and that Fargo & Co have been making a promising come back so they are flip flopping about licensing now.

I say, let dead stay dead. No need for any more constipation from creative meddling and good fucking riddance. We need new IPs, new rulesets and net settings.

Modron

Arcane
You forgot Beamdog.

If Beamdog uses the license, we'll get a HD version of Planescape: Torment except it'll include romance options such as Morte and Modron. Some of the endings "bugs" and cut content will be fixed/added. Everything else will remain the same.

Silly bipedal monkey, a Modron would never accept your bumbling advances, you must be referring to the damaged unit self designated as Nordom.

Moribund

A droglike
I'm sure even if they gave an outright no (which I doubt somewhat) they would always have done it for enough money.

But since DnD 4e is total shit and they would not let them use 2nd or 3rd edition it would not be worth paying any money for, let alone the MEEELION dollars or more they'd demand for just ONE game (and retain a stranglehold on the rights to any sequels).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I think they Wizards of the Coast is realising that they are slowly being phased out of CRPG market and becoming irrelevant and that Fargo & Co have been making a promising come back so they are flip flopping about licensing now.

I say, let dead stay dead. No need for any more constipation from creative meddling and good fucking riddance. We need new IPs, new rulesets and net settings."

L0L But no. Don't be a retart.

Seerix

Arbiter
Sounds like WotC is trying to cash in on whatever attention Planescape got lately. :roll:

Tel Prydain

Augur
I think they Wizards of the Coast is realising that they are slowly being phased out of CRPG market and becoming irrelevant and that Fargo & Co have been making a promising come back so they are flip flopping about licensing now.
Slowly? What big fantasy RPGs have there been in the last few years? Dragon Age 1/2, Skyrim, Witcher 1/2, Dark Souls, Kingdoms Of Amalur and a bunch of indie crap that no one cares about.
Are any of those even remotely D&D?

The one D&D game on my Xbox is a half-hearted budget downloadable Diablo clone that sucked arse and no one brought. I’d be surprised if FTL hadn't already outsold it ten times by now. Fuck, there have been more big Warhammer 40K games in the past few years than D&D games. What the fuck happened?

At this stage their shitty brand is totally irrelevant, it’s remaining appeal based entirely on older versions and nostalgia for PC games long since passed. At this stage they should be shopping proposals around developers in a despite bid to keep their brand relevant. They should be begging inExile or Obsidian to keep their brand alive in the minds of a hobbyists that have long since moved on to greener, less restrictive pastures.

Tel Prydain

Augur
And don't forget DnD Online. That's clearly a much better brand ambassador than those lame retro RPGs.
(Ironically, DDO uses 3.5)

waywardOne

Arcane
Anyone can outbid Beamdog. They're seen as no better than interns. Let's see them get the green light for BG2EE before talk of what might be beyond.

Akarnir

Educated

I say, let dead stay dead. No need for any more constipation from creative meddling and good fucking riddance. We need new IPs, new rulesets and net settings.

People are probably going to misunderstand, but anyway : not if it means the market abandoned D&D to switch for science fiction. If they are just dropping D&D because they want to drop old ages fantasy, then that would sadden me to no extend. Personally, ancient times fantasy (medieval, renaissance or antiquity) is where I get my daily dose of escapism from. The settings are beautiful, and more often then not one would wish he would live there.
Our glorified past, embellished with magic is much more appealing to me than dystopian cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic with tortured landscapes (and society) or just anything with massive technologies where you feel, as a biological human being, like a little tiny crap. A lot of people find them cool, is respect that, I was just explaining why some would prefer to stick with fantasy.

Now that was just to defend fantasy instead someone comes up and say ''g00d ridAnce, fantazy iz crap''.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the end of D&D Supremacy when it comes to fantasy, I hate how they treated the genre. But only if it's replaced by myriad of better, more plausible, more original fantasy settings (and preferably less over the top).

So far in this ''old school revival'' , out of the big 4 (shadowrun, wasteland, PE and now Torment) only one is ancient time fantasy, the other 3 are in the future. I hope it's not a trend.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So far in this ''old school revival'' , out of the big 4 (shadowrun, wasteland, PE and now Torment) only one is ancient time fantasy, the other 3 are in the future. I hope it's not a trend.
I, on the other hand, hope fantasy as a setting dies a painful, horrible death. Fuck fantasy and all its retarded tropes. The only downside is that all the two-bit, shit, developers will flock to sci-fi and make a mockery of sci-fi conventions that they don't understand, don't care for, but just want to, cargo-cult-like, ape.

EDIT:

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that all sci-fi settings need to be dystopias. The fact that most of them are in games is a misrepresentation of good sci-fi literature. I suppose that dystopias make good settings for games because games are centered on conflict and, as a result very few games have even token non-combat components. Also, the daddy of cyberpunk, William Gibson, has no technical formal education, which makes his cyberpunk more like fiction than science fiction. Most good sci-fi writers come from a scientific/technical background and that allows them to speculate in a educated manner, which in turns results in good sci-fi. All the dilettantes that think sci-fi is kinda cool but don't really get it, go the William Gibson way and create some dystopia because they don't really understand science and its beneficial potential.

jewboy

Arbiter
I dislike fantasy in novels, but I like it in games. I see nothing wrong with monsters and magic. It's not realistic but it is fun. I think there is room for both scifi and fantasy in the RPG world. Ideally not in the same game.

Akarnir

Educated
Most good sci-fi writers come from a scientific/technical background and that allows them to speculate in a educated manner, which in turns results in good sci-fi. All the dilettantes that think sci-fi is kinda cool but don't really get it, go the William Gibson way and create some dystopia because they don't really understand science and its beneficial potential.

Because an unemployed retardo from the codex totally understand science.
:)
What a bunch of crap. THere is just no such fucking thing as a good and well researched science fiction. You think that maybe any smart ass with a physics degree (which basically just consist of taking learning some basic mathematical/physic tool to use in specific situation) and who has red a few vulgarization magasine (scientific meruca) will be able to devise how progress could potentially go?

As long as I see stuff like Faster than light travel in a mundane, retarded society, I can only cringe. As long as I see fucking cyberpunk setting where people have a full mastery of the brain (able to reproduce it digitally), yet no author don't fucking understand what the actual implication of such a technology are (we basically fucking transcended ourselves if we are able to visualize the whole though process and reproduce/improve it indefinitely).
Not only do they have the pretension to be able to devise a possible long term evolution of sicence, but they also think they have the socio/psycho skills to explain how society would evolve too...

Science Fiction is full of anachronism and fallacies, but the so called ''well researched'' ones allows it's reader to go all :obviously:. Bunch of insecure nerdfag who try to disguise their escapism in a ''Study and speculative work on the evolution of science and society'' :obviously::obviously:.

Now before you accuse me of being a retardo fantasy lover : I do not like fantasy that much. I just fucking hate any fiction in the future because
1.it tries too hard to be realistic and fails hard.
2. Future just suck. 2 Fat nerds piloting big space ships and nuking the hell out of each other. Great.

What I'm desperate to see is actual realistic, ancient time settings in a video game, without weaboo magic, without deus-ex machina. But those require you to be actually very well informed, and not just throw around speculative garbadge afting having red 3 article on how nanophysics work.

EDIT : So far Warband is the only RPG that went close to that (and the setting was still simplified for convenience sake). Too bad it has shit combat, but it was a good start.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just like some science writers fail to realize what kind of implications technology that breaks the laws of thermodynamics has, fantasy writers tend to forget what kind of an effect the discovery of magic would have to the world. Or even how much their fantastic societies make sense. It happens.

You should be well researched. Or at least try to be.

But most of all, you should be a good writer of stories.

4too

Arcane
The Last Remake Of Brave New World

”skuphundaku” said:
...All the dilettantes that think sci-fi is kinda cool but don't really get it, go the William Gibson way and create some dystopia because they don't really understand science and its beneficial potential.

A chip on the shoulder, or tired of the people are no damned good theme ?

THIS
paul_sizer_future.jpg

VERSUS
paul_sizer_jetpack.jpg

?

;)

4too

hiver

Most good sci-fi writers come from a scientific/technical background and that allows them to speculate in a educated manner, which in turns results in good sci-fi. All the dilettantes that think sci-fi is kinda cool but don't really get it, go the William Gibson way and create some dystopia because they don't really understand science and its beneficial potential.

Because an unemployed retardo from the codex totally understand science.
:)
What a bunch of crap. THere is just no such fucking thing as a good and well researched science fiction.
You are a moron.
An ignorant moron.

Before you start to spill ignorant dumbfucking opinions on something you should try to educate yourself on the subject.
First of all, what you consider sci-fi is the lowest crap of the genre. Space operas and futuristic fantasies of the lowest quality, pandering to the lowest common denominators.
It is the same approach as taking the worst examples of fantasy fiction and judging the whole genre based on that.

Second of all:
There are many, many, many writers of science fiction with high formal knowledge they use all the time in writing their stories.
And many managed to correctly predict uses of some technologies.And all of them researched what they write about extensively - wasting YEARS on research.
From Jules Verne onwards. To Ray Bradburry, to Arthur Clarke, to Asimov to Stanislav Lem, to Gibson, to Kim Stanley Robinson, to Greg Bear, to Stephen Baxter, and many, many others, you stupid shit.

Third - learn what Sturgeon law is and what it means.
And learn who Theodore Sturgeon is.

Btw, @skuphundakeu Willaim Gibson was actually right about his somewhat dystopian setting. First - he didnt write about further future so there was no need to extrapolate that far.
He wrote about near future - about what our society would do with specific technologies. So he concentrated on that most of all - and he is more then right to see that humans would use the technology in many ways that are not anticipated and that the society would not simply transform into a utopia. Cyberpunk was a rebellion on several levels. And it dealt most of all with immediate changes - with that struggle period, when things are in the flux and where many, many different changes by new technology are just happening.

Second, there is no need to completely predict all the details and all possible directions. And there is no need to hit the one exact consequence - because there is no ONE exacts consequence. Whole range of them has to be explored.

Exploring or trying to figure out what future technologies are going to be is not the main purpose of science fiction at all.
The main purpose of Science Fiction - its CORE - is presenting and exploring individual human role in extraordinary circumstances. Future technology - is just one of the tools to do so.
Science fiction does NOT deal only with the future either.

Akarnir

Educated
Just like some science writers fail to realize what kind of implications technology that breaks the laws of thermodynamics has, fantasy writers tend to forget what kind of an effect the discovery of magic would have to the world. Or even how much their fantastic societies make sense. It happens.

You should be well researched. Or at least try to be.

But most of all, you should be a good writer of stories.

Of course. And, between a setting that is pure speculative garbage, and a setting more or less authentic, I take the authentic one over the speculative one. We know almost everything there is to know about many ancient societies. We know how daily lives worked, what happened, what were the consequence of each discoveries... So one well documented can start with excellent basics for a serious setting.
Fantasy and science fiction are just about escapism. Nothing more. It's highly illogical, and must not be taken seriously. It's just meant for you to dream, and escape reality. Nothing more. My point was that I would rather escape in a fantasy world, than a science fiction world. Because even I'm not supposed to question the setting, some stuff are even more annoying in science fiction. And the use of Deus Ex machina reigns supreme when you fight in a world where technology can destroy stars, mass brain control entire population, scan and observe every corners of the solar system... and where human should be transcendent beings after having acquired such a mastery of thought processing.
Magic has it's own flaws (fucking resurrection spell ) But they aren't as big as those mentioned above.

Furthermore, one can safely assume, that in modern society adventure has disappeared (unless you're one of those fags who calls hiking an adventure). I don't see why it should reappear in the future.

Third - learn what Sturgeon law is and what it means.

YOU are 90% full of shit. And 10% full of piss.

And don't fucking get me started on jule verne you imbecile. Don't even. Because one particularly talented genius, dedicating an entire novel, after spending month of research, on a very specific aspect of short term reachable technology, Has nothing to do with an faggot coming up with a whole new 1000 years in the future setting after thinking about it for a day.
Jules Verne and many of those hard working 19th century, early 20th authors have nothing, NOTHING to do with current science fiction.

hiver

None of that changes the fact that you are a stupid shit. In fact it only confirms it.
Sturgeon law doesnt work like that you shallow brainless turd.

Jules verne is an example of a writer who correctly predicted future uses of technology.
Same as Arthur Clarke, for example - you ignorant cheap dumbfuck.

The others are all writers who do research on what they are writing about, including bouncing off their ideas with appropriate experts in the field and who have high formal knowledge in the fields they write or concerning technologies they use.

Which means that your stupid ignorant statements are product of an actual imbecile who has shit for a brain.
Savvy?

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Hey hiver, I made a Kodex Interview Korner thread about you in GD. Since you are ignoring me you cannot see it. Lots of people want to see you take part in it and do the interview. Here's the link: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/kodex-interview-korner-hiver.80442/

Could someone who is not on hiver's ignore quote this please?

Oh and while the official Planescape setting sucks dick, it will come with D&D 4e rules...that would make for a great rpg (combat wise anyway) even with RTwP

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom