Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land

Andhaira

Arcane
I remember trying to find this on PS2 but couldn't. Aparently its a very good wizazrdry style hack and slash dungeon romp for the ps2. Obiously it never sold wel (obvious reasons) butI really, really want to play it.

Can anyone tell me how it was? I have heard there were actually good and evil paths through the game. Whats that about. And how many levels to the dungeon? And lastly, why only 4 classes? It sucks no samurai is there.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
It is not a wizardry style hack&slash. It is a real Wizardry (1) with turn-based combat.
Warning: it is not playable on PS2 emulator (yet).

Andhaira

Arcane
Uhm dude, all wizardry's were hack and slash. Old school hack and slash with turnbased phased goodness, so its all good.

But tell me evberythng about the game.

Stalin

Scholar
Its really hardcore: you can only save in town so if you mess once in the dungeon its start over. Game is tile based like the retro dungeons in wiz 8. The cut scenes are well just say old school...All the classes are there from wiz games and if i remember correctly the dungeon has 11 levels(no maps) and once you beat the game the dungeon has infinite levels). Its called Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land in europe. I better stop cos I got a boner just thinking about it.

Andhaira

Arcane
infinite levels? Really. They must be randomly generated with the same recycled enemies. That sucks since I prefer handmade customized locales.

Still ned to play this game though.

It's a solid dungeon crawler. Although I thought there were only like... 10 or 11 levels to the dungeon. I never finished it (not a knock on the game, just something else came up) but it was definitely challenging. A slight annoyance was that you had to backtrack through the previous floors if you leave the dungeon, but it doesn't end up being a huge problem.

Stalin

Scholar
When you open more floors you open shortcuts to the surface so backtracking is there but not so bad

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game is awesome. Get it at all costs. This wizardry has perhaps my favorite turn based combat system with great party customization and a fair number of side quests. Also, for its genre, it has above average story, monster designs, and music. The aforementioned infinite levels is an optional bonus dungeon with new content. Its randomized and goes on forever, but I played around in it for a couple of hundred floors, since I had trouble putting the damn thing down.

Additionally, Wizardry: TotFL has some of the funniest dialog moments in the history of gaming.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, but I must add that the beginning of the game feels completely different from the rest of it. I actually quit the game at the point where the above video ends since it seemed totally different from any Wizardry I knew. I'm extremely glad I gave it another try! After the first 30min or so which is basically a tutorial, the game becomes about 80% old school Wizardry with 20% JRPG sprinkled in quite nicely. Overall, the dungeon is very well made, and as I mentioned before, the turn based combat is simply superb and continues to get deeper as you progress.

During the game, you're given the choice of adding self made or story driven NPCs to your party. The party limit is 6 like any wizardry. I personally recruited NPCs from the tavern in order to loot their phat equipment and give it to my self-made party! I'm not exaggerating when I say this game is awesome. My friends and I have a tough time choosing between this and Wizardry 8 as the best of the series. The only thing this game doesn't really have is C&C, but I honestly don't miss it in a dungeon crawler.

If you have a PS2, get this game however you can. :cool:

getter77

Augur
Yep tis an awesome game. I was able to score it for relatively cheap in good condition with the manual and everything off of an Amazon.com seller so I recommend looking there first!

I wonder when we'll ever get the other Wizardry games brought over or fantranslated...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Under the rule of the Beautiful Queen,
the sacred town of Duhan enjoyed a long time of peace.

However....

A sudden flash from above destroyed the land and all was burned to ashes.

The beauty of the castle...
And the town, once crowded with people...
was now, covered in snow...

One day, and adventurer set foot on this land.
As the adventurer peered about the town of Durhan, there was an emptiness... a sadness...
The adventurer began roaming the town, uneasy with heavy footsteps.

And this tale slowly unfolds...

:lol:

Jebus fucking Christmas. Who comes up with this shit? Well, it's at least a bit more original than Dragon Age.

Andhaira

Arcane
Fighting Evil by moonlight...
Finding LOVE by daylite...
She is teh one called sailor MOON
teh one called sailor MOON.

Stalin

Scholar
Jaesun said:

However....

As the adventurer peered about the town of Durhan, there was an emptiness... a sadness...

Jebus fucking Christmas. Who comes up with this shit? Well, it's at least a bit more original than Dragon Age.
together with the music it almost made me cry

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Stalin said:
Jaesun said:

However....

together with the music it almost made me cry

All of this, but the core gameplay is pure old school western RPG goodness. One of the best hybrids ever!

While I'm pretty much unbiased, my bro mostly plays Crpgs, and my best friend is almost exclusively Jrpgs. All of us consider this game among our favs. I could never do it justice with words alone...

getter77

Augur
Cambios said:
Wow. They made a Wizardry game for a console?

Interesting.

There's actually a a couple/few other Wizardry games that never made it out of Japan...I believe some before and after the demise of Sir Tech. I forget which company or companies have put out the various ones though....

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
getter77 said:
Cambios said:

Interesting.

There's actually a a couple/few other Wizardry games that never made it out of Japan...I believe some before and after the demise of Sir Tech. I forget which company or companies have put out the various ones though....

Hmm, interesting, Wizardry was popular in the Japanese market, almost as if it had a lot in common with JRPGs, hmm.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Jaime Lannister said:
getter77 said:
Cambios said:

Interesting.

Hmm, interesting, Wizardry was popular in the Japanese market, almost as if it had a lot in common with JRPGs, hmm.

Strangely enough, Ultima was also popular. JRPGs in general were inspired by all of the old WRPGs. Newer WRPGs have, in turn been, been inspired by all the old JRPGs. This occurrence has unfortunately created a paradox spiraling ever downward into the depths of some god-forsaken gamer's hell. This hell is also known as The Codex.

Andhaira

Arcane
Actually you are quite correct. Early japenese crpg's were inspired greatly by old goldbox and eob type games. Thus, they were also first peson (dragon warrior being the obvious example) Final fantasy is where jrpg's moved into their own and adopted mostly 3rd person viewpoint ( agood thing)

Western crpgs, thanks to $$$ started becoming somewhat influenced by Japenese games then., but not to a nearly as large extent. Therre were only subtle influences, such as removal of hunger.thirst mechanics, simplified magic systems, no regents, etc. and more emphasis on linear storylines.

Then we come to today where ALL rpgs, pc, console, western, eastern AND pnp rpg's are influenced by world of warcraft mostly due to the fuckload of money blizzard made.

This spells doom for tomorow.

sirfink

Scholar
Money? I think it's just an entire generation of American kids growing up on Super Mario Bros and all the rest of the Japanese Nintendo crap. Plus all the cartoons. They came to like characters that look perpetually 12 years old, have giant heads, giant eyes, tiny little noses and purple spiked hair.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
sirfink said:
Money? I think it's just an entire generation of American kids growing up on Super Mario Bros and all the rest of the Japanese Nintendo crap. Plus all the cartoons. They came to like characters that look perpetually 12 years old, have giant heads, giant eyes, tiny little noses and purple spiked hair.

Bullshit. SMB was one of the finest games ever made. Don't confuse one company's triumph with another's failure. Also, Super Mario Bros came out in 1985 and almost single handedly revived the video game market. Nobody in their right mind can say there hasn't been any quality RPGs since then. If anything, blame Squaresoft, not Nintendo.

peasofme

Novice
i tried this on the newest pcsx2 emu and it just gave me a black screen. this game is awesome though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom