Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry sequel?

Would you like a Wizardry sequel by D.W. Bradley?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Hell Yes!

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • No.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Not in a thousand years.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • King of Comrades

Votes: 25 26.9%

• Total voters

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Interface was terrible and I remember getting stuck in walls far too often for my liking. Not that I really dislike the game, had a lot of good things going for it, but some of the bad stuff was really annoying

mondblut

Arcane
It's hard to get it to run these days and while the game was quite neat in many ways, it never came together in a way that made for a great game, you could already see the brainrot in Bradley's designing capabilities and the story (for those who actually cared and coming from W6/W7 I definitely did at that time) was utterly generic (I couldn't believe this was coming from Bradley, then he did Dungeon Lords and well, I stopped caring).

Hah, don't tell. "Something happened... something EVIL!" became a meme in the local RPG community in the 90s. This coming from Bradley, I was genuinely shocked when the main villain actually was a main villain. The setup was so fucking cheesy and generic that one would see a heel face turn and "everything is not as it seems to be" from the introduction video... except it never happened.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
that pretty much sums it up

I do wonder whether it actually was planned this way but for lack of resources had to cut the story short and went the generic route

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was definitely cut down from the original plans, which was announced as a massive Wizardry-sized game. They thought they would continue it through large expansion packs, but apparently sales didn't let it happen.

Kuhrazy

Educated
Instead of a sequel I'd settle for a remastered version of Wizardry 1-3. Wire frame dungeons kill muh imershun.
Your imagination has the greatest graphics of all!

Am I the only sicko who likes wireframes? In Dark Spire you even get properly 3D rendered wireframe with smooth walking/turning instead of teleporting to the next grid square.

Pick a Japanese dungeon crawler, you have your Wizardry sequel. For non-weaboo look and on PC Elminage Gothic is a great place to jump in I would imagine.
Nobody ever talks about the Japanese Wizardry games, even when talking about Japanese crawlers. So... not so good then?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nobody ever talks about the Japanese Wizardry games, even when talking about Japanese crawlers. So... not so good then?

I think the problem is that most of those were never translated into English, recent fan translations aside.

Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land, one of the few that have been officially translated, is really good.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land, one of the few that have been officially translated, is really good.

Speaking of which, do you know by chance if it runs well on a PS2 emulator? I have the original version for PS2 but it's horribly slow on console so emu would be a nice way to speed things up ;)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Speaking of which, do you know by chance if it runs well on a PS2 emulator? I have the original version for PS2 but it's horribly slow on console so emu would be a nice way to speed things up ;)

I think it does, yeah. Whatever the latest PS2 emulator is should run it fine.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It takes a couple of hours before it gets really good, so don't give up on it early on.

Keldryn

Arcane
tumblr_nd2lijfbF91rxmn3vo1_500.png

This man, dead? Surely not.

Every time I see this picture, all I can think is "hey, isn't that one of the guys from Black Sabbath?" ;)

Dorateen

Arcane
I cant finish 2 quests in Ishimagu underground sanctum.

Man-eating spider and Reverberating bell.

Man-eating spider, i burned 6 portions of spider eggs, people should talk in tavern, but noone there to talk. Spider eggs in BF4 http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/elminage-gothic/images/b/b6/Ishmag_Underground_Sanctum_B4F.jpg

On reverberating bell - no clue what to do about this quest.

This is in reference to Elminage Gothic.

I checked the notes I was keeping, and this is what I can share:

The Man-eating spider quest showed up in the tavern, after defeating Cyclanos and returning to the Kingdom. Sounds like you have to do that first, and talk in the tavern, and then return to the sanctum. I think you will run into the spider on Level 4, with all the eggs.

For the Reverberating bell, I'm not recalling exactly but check Level 2 of the Sanctum and search for an "eerie looking bell". Again, it might be something that triggers after the defeat of Cyclanos.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Looks like Bard's Tale 4 will be the closest we will get to a Wizardry sequel, considering that Bard's Tale was originally a clone of Wizardry.

I would love a proper new chapter by Bradley. Wizards & Warriors was amazing but I haven't had much success getting it to run on modern systems without some really annoying issues (mouse polling rate for instance).

As far as classic (1-5) Wizardry-inspired Japanese games, there are many good ones but my favourite is The Dark Spire for the Nintendo DS. Good maze design, awesome special classes, tough as nails and it has a great art style to boot (as well as a great soundtrack complete with chiptune versions of the songs).

Tale of the Forsaken Land is really good too, and yes it runs perfectly under PCSX2.

treborSux

Arcane
I don't really know what happened to DW Bradley, but Wizardry VI had one of the most compelling and odd stories I've ever seen in a game, and Wizards and Warriors (which he had full creative control over) had the most stupid plot that's constantly pushed at you with every NPC you talk to. WHO WILL WIELD THE MAVIN SWORD AND DESTROY THE EVIL PHAROAH. I killed every NPC I could in that game for making me listen to that bullshit.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Didn't he create the Wizardry games in Canada? And then he moved to Atlanta and lost it. Must be the dumbing down effect of the CNN Headquarters nearby.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I cant finish 2 quests in Ishimagu underground sanctum.

Man-eating spider and Reverberating bell.

Man-eating spider, i burned 6 portions of spider eggs, people should talk in tavern, but noone there to talk. Spider eggs in BF4 http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/elminage-gothic/images/b/b6/Ishmag_Underground_Sanctum_B4F.jpg

On reverberating bell - no clue what to do about this quest.

This is in reference to Elminage Gothic.

I checked the notes I was keeping, and this is what I can share:

The Man-eating spider quest showed up in the tavern, after defeating Cyclanos and returning to the Kingdom. Sounds like you have to do that first, and talk in the tavern, and then return to the sanctum. I think you will run into the spider on Level 4, with all the eggs.

For the Reverberating bell, I'm not recalling exactly but check Level 2 of the Sanctum and search for an "eerie looking bell". Again, it might be something that triggers after the defeat of Cyclanos.

Solved both, ty. I didnt find spider boss but it checked as complete so all is ok for me.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If I had, I would have posted it. Looks like DW Bradley doesn't want our Kickstarter money.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
DW Bradley is busy working on Dungeon Lords The Electric Boogaloo Enhanced Game of the Year Final Exclusive Reimagined Awesome Edition.

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom