Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry sequel?

Would you like a Wizardry sequel by D.W. Bradley?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Hell Yes!

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • No.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Not in a thousand years.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • King of Comrades

Votes: 25 26.9%

• Total voters

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So with all the recent revivals of old-school CRPG series there has been one notable exception: Wizardry.

Since it happens to be my favorite too, I was wondering if anyone else is interested in a Wizardry sequel or a spiritual successor.

It looks like D.W. Bradley is still working on fixing Dungeon Lords. At least, I could not find any news about him from the last couple of years. And the Wizardry IP is owned by a Japanese company that is in turn owned by Sony, or something.

But if you want to send some fan mail to D.W. Bradley's company with some encouraging words or demands, here is their email address:

info@heuristicpark.com

I already sent mine:

Hello Heuristic Park team,

Recently there has been a revival of old-school RPG series, such as Ultima (Schroud of Avatar), Bard's Tale 4, Ultima Underworld (Underworld: Ascendant), Planescape Torment (Torment: Tides of Numenera), Baldur's Gate (Pillars of Eternity), Dungeon Master (Legend of Grimrock) and the Gold Box games (Seven Dragon Saga).

I think that a Wizardry sequel or spiritual sequel (under a different title) can be successfully funded through Kickstarter. After all, those are the games that D.W. Bradley is best known for to this day.

From reading RPG forums, there seems to be a lot of interest in a new Wizardry-type game, especially if David W. Bradley was involved.

The Wizardry IP itself is now apparently owned by a Japanese company:

"On November 28, 2006, Wizardry’s trademark and associated assets were signed over by Norman Sirotek to a Japanese company by the name of Kabushiki Kaisha Aeria IPM. Or, more simply, Aeria IPM.

IPM, Inc. is still holding onto Wizardry. It’s still referred to as the trademark holder, licensing Wizardry out to Gamepot, which you can see mentioned right at the bottom of Wizardry Online’s English homepage. In a very roundabout and indirect way, it’s also in Sony’s hands — as strange as that sounds. Not only is Sony backing Gamepot, but it’s also a part of Wizardry Online, too, which you can see prominently displayed on the same page."

http://venturebeat.com/community/2013/05/03/wizardrys-wild-ride-from-west-to-east/

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd absolutely love a western sequel of the late Wizardries. One that not only focuses on grinding yourself into oblivion but also gives you a story combined with the incredibly rewarding character system of Wizardry 8.
I just fear all is lost when it comes to a Wizardry 9. Cleve obviously has a worthy game in his hands but we all know it's Cleve and we will never ever really get to play the full version of Grimoire. And the Japanese devs spill out one Wizardy 1 clone after another and while they are good they don't completely fit my taste of blobbers.

Oh well. But yeah maybe I'll write a fan mail too ;)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thought D W Bradley was dead? Guess not.
tumblr_nd2lijfbF91rxmn3vo1_500.png

This man, dead? Surely not.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
This man, dead? Surely not.

Is that a lightning spell or just static from the moustache? But hell yes, Dungeon Lords notwithstanding, I'd love me some proper Wizardry.

And I even managed to avoid mentioning you-know-who and you-know-what in this post, but in fantasy land wouldn't it be great if the two of them got together and produced something wonderful... :eek:

Dorateen

Arcane
D. W. Bradley was brilliant for Wizardry, as well as W&W, but I'm afraid he's lost his mind. Besides, is there any indication that he would be more adept at handling this new social media culture than the folks at TSI? I could see a Bradley crowd-funding project going down the same route.

But if he should come to his senses and establish his studio once more to forge a sequel on his own, I'm all for it.

:Flash:

Arcane
But the only reason D.W. Bradley ever made turn-based blobbers is that the technology didn't let him create real-time games like Dungeon Lords.
Also, only having eight spell slots is one of the greatest problems in RPG design today.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
D. W. Bradley was brilliant for Wizardry, as well as W&W...

I was going to bring up Wizards and Warriors (PC game, not console), as i thought that was considered a sequel to his Wizardry run. I know Wizards and Warriors is in the RPG Codex Top 72 and we have an LP of it, but I can't find a copy to buy on GOG or Steam, nor can I find a copy on abandonware sites. Strange to see such a game pop up every now and then in Codexian lore, but be so vacant from the internet.

Mustawd

I was going to bring up Wizards and Warriors (PC game, not console), as i thought that was considered a sequel to his Wizardry run. I know Wizards and Warriors is in the RPG Codex Top 72 and we have an LP of it, but I can't find a copy to buy on GOG or Steam, nor can I find a copy on abandonware sites. Strange to see such a game pop up every now and then in Codexian lore, but be so vacant from the internet.

Had the same experience. I played around with the idea of playng games from last on the list to first, but I couldn't find where to buy an electronic version of the damn thing. Plus, I heard it's buggy as hell.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Had the same experience. I played around with the idea of playng games from last on the list to first, but I couldn't find where to buy an electronic version of the damn thing. Plus, I heard it's buggy as hell.

It wasn't too buggy in my experience, but it was not really that great either. Especially things like the box stacking puzzles were not to my taste.

Type "DW Bradleys Wizards and Warriors" into Google and you'll find it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

It's hard to get it to run these days and while the game was quite neat in many ways, it never came together in a way that made for a great game, you could already see the brainrot in Bradley's designing capabilities and the story (for those who actually cared and coming from W6/W7 I definitely did at that time) was utterly generic (I couldn't believe this was coming from Bradley, then he did Dungeon Lords and well, I stopped caring).

Shannow

Waster of Time
I'd be hyped for a good Wizardry 8 sequel. Don't really care if it's by Bradley or somebody else. They just have to convince me that they get what made Wiz8 great (combat, character VO, character system, quirky setting/story) and understand the weaknesses (lack of set encounters, too many random encounters and too rapid respawning). If they convince me that they have the ability to make a similar game, they get my money.

Mustawd

Instead of a sequel I'd settle for a remastered version of Wizardry 1-3. Wire frame dungeons kill muh imershun.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Those NES/SNES versions of the early Wizardry's already look pretty amazing:

Wizardry+I-II-III+-+Story+of+Llylgamyn_00001.png

Wizardry+I-II-III+-+Story+of+Llylgamyn_00004.png

Wizardry+I-II-III+-+Story+of+Llylgamyn_00005.png

Amn Nom

Learned
Pick a Japanese dungeon crawler, you have your Wizardry sequel. For non-weaboo look and on PC Elminage Gothic is a great place to jump in I would imagine.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
they do look amazing, excellent art direction, well crafted pixel graphics

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pick a Japanese dungeon crawler, you have your Wizardry sequel. For non-weaboo look and on PC Elminage Gothic is a great place to jump in I would imagine.

Yes, early Wizardry sequel. They all feel like Wizardry 1 which is cool for people who like Wizardry 1-5 but personally I like Wizardry VI-VIII waaaay better (never played VII yet tho :oops:)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It's hard to get it to run these days and while the game was quite neat in many ways, it never came together in a way that made for a great game, you could already see the brainrot in Bradley's designing capabilities and the story (for those who actually cared and coming from W6/W7 I definitely did at that time) was utterly generic (I couldn't believe this was coming from Bradley, then he did Dungeon Lords and well, I stopped caring).

Dunno about the story, but W&W's combat and dungeon design were really great imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom