Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry-like Dungeon Crawler Elminage Gothic Released on Steam

mondblut

Arcane
I wish some decades down the line the japs would eventually discover Crusaders of the Dark Savant and stop slavishly aping Proving Grounds game after game after game, only changing dungeon layout and adding more trailing zeroes to hitpoints and damage. But judging by their track record, that's outside the realm of possibility. Jap is not a learning animal.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
haha, I made six but now I'm thinking I only needed one of the seeds.
Haha, yep. I made two because I thought they'd be expendable, but it looks like they always work. Also, the strength of the items you combine determines the strength of the air seed. One of my air seeds lasted 9 minutes and the other was 6.

ben_reck

Educated
Jap is not a learning animal.

..b/c it has not chosen to imitate/refine what you would prefer it to? There's a purity of design element here that rules all.

AP of the transmutation corresponds to the length of the oxygen supply; mine's 14 minutes.

mondblut

Arcane
Jap is not a learning animal.

..b/c it has not chosen to imitate/refine what you would prefer it to? There's a purity of design element here that rules all.

...on a national scale.

This is ridiculous really. I am the last person to jerk off at innovashun, but JRPG industry is an equivalent of a million of people endlessly repeating the same 2 games for 30 fucking years. Don't they, I don't know, get bored or something? Imagine if the whole corpus of western RPGs consisted entirely of carbon copies of Ultima 1 and Quest for glory.

Me, I've played my share of Wizardry 1 and 5, and see no point in revisiting them.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Closet adventurefag infiltrating the ranks of RPG fandom to destroy it from within detected.
closet pnpfag who got tired that computer rpgs are closer to strategy games than actual rpgs, you mean.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I wish some decades down the line the japs would eventually discover Crusaders of the Dark Savant and stop slavishly aping Proving Grounds game after game after game.
Damn, thought I was the only one who felt that way.

The weird thing is that it's not like Japan didn't get localized versions of Wizardry 6 and 7, they got their own special versions with revised graphics even (though it kind of looks like shit in 2014)

DISTRACTING ALETHEIDES IS DISTRACTING

"We made this 3d render and we're gonna fucking use it" = Mr. Suzukawa

Meanwhile, in the west...

"Western RPGs faced a sharp decline circa 1995, [...]"

Brenda Brathwaite - former Wizardry developer said:
There was this thought that maybe, like adventure games, RPGs were going to die out, too. [...] I wasn't the only developer that thought I'd coded myself into a corner.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The dungeons are very maze-like and confusing

:incline: Sold.

Also:

cb47e8a077.png

:lol:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
This is ridiculous really. I am the last person to jerk off at innovashun, but JRPG industry is an equivalent of a million of people endlessly repeating the same 2 games for 30 fucking years. Don't they, I don't know, get bored or something? Imagine if the whole corpus of western RPGs consisted entirely of carbon copies of Ultima 1 and Quest for glory.
Demon pokémon gives a new twist to the old formula, though at the cost of party creation.

Zetor

Arcane
My biggest problem with SMT games is how they force you to memorize eleventy billion fusion combinations in order to recreate your party every 1-2 hours... and also engage in a lot of tedious min-maxing with resistances and elemental attacks if you want your group to be effective.

e: though the ones I played don't need the player to grind at all, which is a plus. FUCK the design of the mem aleph fight, though.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Devil Survivor 2 has a demon list/book that shows you all the different combinations that can create the demon in question. It also lets you choose what skills to inherit in fusion with out fighting with RNG. And it's grid based&harder :incline: But no dungeon crawling and the character art is ugly (different artist=looks like a budget title, which it is). Maybe SMT X FE will look better and hopefully add new things to the combat system.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
I really love the Wizardry series (until part 8), but even a little nuance of anime ruins any game as it did when the filthy japanese acquired this glorious franchise from sir-tech.

Also, I wholeheartedly hate anime so much that I can't find proper words how to express my disgust.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Also, I wholeheartedly hate anime so much that I can't find proper words how to express my disgust.

I am pretty much the same way. Regular "anime" jRPG art makes me RAGE. However some jRPG's follow into 2 camps:

1. RAGE INDUCING Anime art.
2. Anime art that is not over the top and is OK.

This game falls under the #2 category.

The absolutely fucking stupid older Wizardy level up system this uses is by far the biggest problem with the game.

Not the Art.

Last edited:

ben_reck

Educated
Me, I've played my share of Wizardry 1 and 5, and see no point in revisiting them.

It's been a few decades for me but I guess that's the not point. I think it's a question of appetite. There are certain dishes I will always eat (veal parm/sushi/Old Sichuan chicken). I don't tire of them; I don't require innovation or fusion. I want what I want like an apple or buttered bread or my wife on a Tuesday afternoon.

I want my barebones party vs dungeon crpg. Can't stand DragonAge or ElderScrolls.

Of course, I tend not to read the same stories or even play the same board games unless they offer some measure of variety.

There might be some cultural issues regarding tradition/ritual at play here as well.

I guess I'm a bit of a nippophile, too.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think that the art in this game - especially the enemies - is excellent. The character system is also very good - since it is almost a carbon copy of Wizardry.

While the level up system is not the best, I think the biggest problem with this game is the almost complete lack of anything to do besides fighting. Puzzles? Meaningful NPC interaction? I'm not even asking for C&C, though that would be even better.

ben_reck

Educated
Multiple air seeds increase the duration of the air pocket to a possible max of 16 minutes (1+15).

The mood/atmosphere/ambience is also excellent -- as is the music.

ben_reck

Educated
from a certain angle and in a certain light, one might label the Skunk Girls as being just a shade or two Anime. Their posture and expression says one thing but given that they're asking for it, that wouldn't be it.

And what do they do during combat? They put themselves to sleep, inviting multiple forms of _____ . That's novel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom